Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:46 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,978 times

Advertisements

Hello there.

When I moved into my rental house, I encountered cockroaches. It was a shocking and unpleasant first experience for me but people on this forum say that it's pretty normal around here.

So I've been hosing the place with bug spray, not wanting to really set up until I got ahead of the bugs. That seems to be happening now, but I'm wondering whether it's because I made my living space so toxic that they don't want to be here or whether cockroaches have gone out of season -- hibernating or flying south for the winter or whatever.

I'm afraid to ask but should I expect the ebb to end in Spring?

Thanks

S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:24 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I think one or two roaches is normal. If you are renting, your landlord should take care of this.

I have an exterminator that sprays around my home when I see any type of bugs. He charges about $50. He sprays under the house and under the deck, as well as around the house but not inside. Bugs are gone!

Vicki

Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
Are they big or little? Big = good (well... "good" because you'd still prefer not have them). Little= bad because they usually mean infestation.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM

7,149 posts, read 4,742,203 times
I hate hate hate roaches. They are the most gross thing about living in the south, imo. Be sure to keep your kitchen spotlessly clean. Never leave food crumbs around, never dishes in the sink all night. And store everything you can in the fridge. Everything you can put into air-tight plastic containers soon as you open the package will take away any attraction. Same with pet food.

If you've got small roaches that could be german roaches, then get an exterminator immediately and paid for by your landlord.

If you've got the typical (I don't know what they're called) larger ones that come in from outside, then likely you'll see one or two when the weather starts turning cold. Then none throughout the cold weather. Then a couple when spring comes. Summertime, depending on your particular situation, you may have an ongoing problem or not.

We have the exterminator spray around the house outside, and put bait in the crawlspace. Still see them occasionally, but they are rare now.

You know you've got german roaches if they never ever disappear throughout the year.

It will get better.
best,
toodie

Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
We had, for the first time, some giant cockroaches in our house this year. They like the moisture and I had been watering our new lawn for a couple weeks when they started showing up. I noticed after it rained I saw a few outside around the house now. They went away when the rainy season stopped.

From my understanding those are different than the smaller cockroaches that inhabit your house. If you've got those you need to do a full on assault before the problem gets out of control.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
We had, for the first time, some giant cockroaches in our house this year. They like the moisture and I had been watering our new lawn for a couple weeks when they started showing up. I noticed after it rained I saw a few outside around the house now. They went away when the rainy season stopped.

From my understanding those are different than the smaller cockroaches that inhabit your house. If you've got those you need to do a full on assault before the problem gets out of control.
I like to call those "palmetto bugs"... just sounds better!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I like to call those "palmetto bugs"... just sounds better!
Haha, jesus they scare the crap out of me and I'm not that easily scared of bugs. Those things are the size of mice and move quicker than a jack rabbit. What was intended of them when they were conceived I have no idea, maybe eat small mammals???

Old 11-10-2012, 07:14 PM

69 posts, read 226,166 times
Do you guys mind sharing which towns you live in? I'm also curious if you live in apartment buildings or free standing homes.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
They don't hibernate, or go south. I'd get an exterminator, they are probably hiding in your walls and cupboards. I grew up in So. Calif...back in the day roaches were somewhat common, always disgusting. Get the exterminator, and keep it up w/ routine visits from them if it were me.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:37 PM

7,149 posts, read 4,742,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNC4 View Post
Do you guys mind sharing which towns you live in? I'm also curious if you live in apartment buildings or free standing homes.

It doesn't matter what town a person lives in, in NC. There are going to be roaches, whether you see them or not, whether it's one, two, or a few, or more, anywhere in this state.

Apartment complexes bomb the heck out of apartments between tenants. The problem in apartments is worse than in single family homes, unless the home was infested with german roaches before the new purchase.

If you're going to buy a house here, be sure to have an exterminator search for any infestation of roaches, termites, camel crickets, centipedes, spiders, snakes.

My neighbor had a copperhead under her deck that bit her dog and had to rush off to the vet. Luckily the dog survived.
best,
toodie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary