Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:13 PM

149 posts, read 206,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

I held up a bag of baby cockroaches for the exterminator to see and he proclaimed them baby oriental cockroaches, though I thought they were smoky brown ones.

One exterminator told me the same thing, as well. Wonder if that is a common exterminator line, or if they don't know themselves, so they guess and CALL them Oriental roaches? I admit to having a bit of trouble with "Wood" v. "Smoky Brown", though. Americans are easy to ID. (Actually, all of that is a bit misleading, since wood roaches encompass American and Smoky Brown, but many wood roaches are neither, and are harmless to the homeowner. Just stupid creatures caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. I almost feel bad about killing those, but they ARE roaches, and over the years, my reaction to any roach is, "Roach. Kill." Sorry, guys.)

I know that I've in living in NC too long when my response to the exterminator was, "I don't think so, because ..." and I pointed out all the features that would distinguish the cockroach I found from Oriental ones, as well as characteristics of grown ones that I did not save for him. And this was a nymph, which is harder to ID. In fact, many experts are hesitant to ID nymphs, and I can see why, which is why I also rely on past observations. I have found that many exterminators have NO idea which roach is which. That's a bit of a problem, since certain roaches are usually treated differently.

Since I saw my first one in 2007, I've modified my behavior around them. I USED to scream and run. But now, when I see one of these creatures, I kill it, but try to leave it as intact as possible, then examine it to see just what kind of roach I had, using both the Internet, my knowledge of roaches common in the area, and past experience. Now I consider it more of a biological experiment. I then either give it a water burial in the commode or freeze the one or two I want to show the exterminator, if I do want to show them.

I do have someone come by and treat the outside a few times a year, plus inside two or three times around the plumbing, just in case the one or two I found WEREN'T exceptions, and even if I haven't found any at all over the last few months. I don't want SO many biological experiments!

I've accepted that since I live near a wooded area, I'm going to see them in the house sometimes, and that's that. I've tried the "spotless" trick, but that didn't seem to help much and made people wonder what drugs I was taking when I freaked out at the sight of crumbs!

A spray bottle of soap and water is a great "slower-downer", by the way, and won't stain fabrics or the wall. Since I've read different variations of what soaps to use, I use a little hand soap, some Ajax dish soap (I didn't think there was that much of a difference between hand soap and dish soap, but apparently, some people do), and just a pinch of Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap. At least I'll have a clean-smelling roach, I guess. Seriously ... at least I don't feel awful if I use my potion around dishes (it's soap ... wash it off), people or animals, and it's cheaper and smells better than "Raid". You have to REALLY soak the cockroach, though, after that first spray. Often, it kills it without having to squish. That DOES make me happy. Oh, and I keep my Harris roach tablets around the house, just in case. Hurray for boric acid!

My vacuum is at the end of its useful life, but I might want to keep that in mind as well when I get a new one. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by gazania; 11-17-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
These words by gazania seriously made me shiver:

Quote:
But now, when I see one of these creatures, I kill it, but try to leave it as intact as possible, then examine it to see just what kind of roach I had, using both the Internet, my knowledge of roaches common in the area, and past experience. Now I consider it more of a biological experiment. I then either give it a water burial in the commode or freeze the one or two I want to show the exterminator, if I do want to show them.
I applaud your ability to overcome PTCD.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 PM

149 posts, read 206,650 times
Oh, I get that sinking feeling when I see one, but it's more, "Oh, !@#$!". Just what I needed" I haven't entirely overcome PTCD!

And I don't want to give the impression I'm a filthy slob! I just try to use sense and reason in keeping things tidy, knowing that every once in a while, I get to see those telltale antennae, no matter what I do. Personally, though, I do prefer once in a LONG while.

Ants are like that, as well. Once, back in another state and in a fit of desperation, I did every single thing you're supposed to do to prevent ants. I was so proud that my house was now ant-resistant!

Of course, the things proved me wrong one hot, humid night. (Perfect weather for many bugs, BTW, including cockroaches.) After carefully storing every sweet item I had in a baggie or container, I had forgotten about a few pieces of wrapped candy in a candy dish. Guess what they found? And of COURSE, someone dropped in at that moment!

I think skinks eat ants, right? I do notice fewer ants when those lizards are around. I wish that there was something that can't get enough cockroaches, other than than jewel wasps.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Ok, now I have a question - I was just in the attic and saw a huge one on the far wall - can't get to it because there's no floor where it is (sneaky). Problem: my attic has blown-in insulation all over the place. Now of course I'm picturing millions of them nesting in my insulation.

What do I do? Oh God.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Go buy a box of Harris Roach Tablets, and throw them around the attic. Maybe even set down a few bait traps. Be proactive.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Ah good idea. I will and maybe I can bean that roach with one as I throw it because I don't want to fall through my ceiling for it...

Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
If there is a spot open to the outside where the roaches get into the attic -- probably where the roof and house is connected -- you'll most likely always have them up there until you close up the spot.

(Shudder.)

Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Make sure you don't have any trees overhanging your roof. Yes, some can fly, but giving them a natural walkway to your roof doesn't help.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:11 PM

69 posts, read 226,065 times
Thanks for the info. I had no idea NC had such a roach problem. Why?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
The further south you go the more bugs there are. You should see the size of 'em in Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary