Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

If they come back, you may have a nasty neighbor who harbors the pests and does nothing about them........except to spread their joy to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 AM

69 posts, read 226,065 times
I live in FL now. I had no idea it was a problem in NC. My friend lives there and grew up there and never had a problem.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I don't think they're really a huge problem, but they do just live here. Most of the big "water bugs"/"palmetto bugs" (picture) live outside. They do come inside and can set up housekeeping, but they're rarely an infestation like the smaller roaches.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 AM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Default I can't even eat.

It gets worse.

I like to go out on the little decklet in back of the house with my trusty Sunbeam Electric Frying Pan. Fry up some onions and potatoes and eggs for a nice he-man breakfast. Without smelling up the house.

And dammit, whenever I do, regardless of how I contain the mess, it rains cockroaches inside the house for the following few days.

Consarn it, I can't even EAT now.

S

Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
It gets worse.

I like to go out on the little decklet in back of the house with my trusty Sunbeam Electric Frying Pan. Fry up some onions and potatoes and eggs for a nice he-man breakfast. Without smelling up the house.

And dammit, whenever I do, regardless of how I contain the mess, it rains cockroaches inside the house for the following few days.

Consarn it, I can't even EAT now.

S
Why? Do you leave the door open? Do the cockroaches end up in onion skins and egg shells that you bring in the house?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
Yeah, the cockroach thing is annoying. I was born and reared in the house that my parents still live in, in Brentwood. We never saw a roach until about the late '90's, now we have a continuing battle against these wood roaches or whatever you want to call the American roaches. We've cleared the bushes away from the side of the house and had Orkin come out repeatedly. They can't use the bombs due to health reasons. I think that they may have a moisture problem contributing to it. My place near King Charles had a minor infestation when I moved in, but I used 3 bombs, throwing the one in the crawl space grenade-style and haven't seen one since, although they still come out from the manhole covers at night.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 AM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
"Why? Do you..."

No.

When I do that cooking I'm more cautious than an Anthrax researcher. No scraps go outside at all.

S

Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
"Why? Do you..."

No.

When I do that cooking I'm more cautious than an Anthrax researcher. No scraps go outside at all.

S
So why does it rain cockroaches inside when you are cooking outside? (Just trying to understand cockroach behavior.)

Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
So why does it rain cockroaches inside when you are cooking outside? (Just trying to understand cockroach behavior.)
Could they be coming out of the walls for a dinner on the deck? Possibly onion fumes drive them out of hiding.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 PM

It's just strange, because I'm thinking of high-end and some average homes that have outdoor kitchens in the Triangle. And I'm imagining someone creating a wonderful meal outdoors and then going inside and finding that it's raining cockroaches in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary