Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

If you're interested in Chapel Hill/Carrboro for the schools, do be careful of the school district boundaries when you're looking. Chapel Hill/Carrboro schools are a small town based system. Orange county has its own school system as does Chatham county. Some homes with a Chapel Hill address may be in Chatham, Durham, or Orange county outside the CHCCS district boundaries.
This is a really good point. Because Chapel Hill sits in the SE corner of the county, it spills over into two others counties. I suspect that homes in the CHCCS boundaries would carry a premium in price compared to ones within surrounding systems' boundaries.

As for the commute to Raleigh from CH, the tough part is that one has to go through RTP. Depending on the time of travel, this can translate into a heavy front half of the commute in the morning and a heavy back half of the commute in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,950,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is a really good point. Because Chapel Hill sits in the SE corner of the county, it spills over into two others counties.
Just one - Durham County.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:11 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
No, CHTransplant, there are many properties in Chatham that also have Chapel Hill addresses. All of Briar Chapel does, although, I think they should have Pittsboro addresses since I know properties north of there (off Mann's Chapel Rd closer to CH) that do have P-boro addresses. Not sure who they paid off to get that, but they are definitely using a Chapel Hill address in Chatham county (Briar Chapel | Chapel Hill | North Carolina | New Homes). There are many other properties up closer to the Chatham/Orange line along the 15-501 area that have CH addresses, too. There are a lot of really nice homes off Booth Rd that are in Chatham right up next to the Orange co line. Can't remember the name of that neighborhood, but the reason you get more house for your money is the county.

Plus there are obviously many homes in Orange county that aren't in the Chapel Hill or Carrboro town limits so kids living there go to Orange co schools.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,950,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
No, CHTransplant, there are many properties in Chatham that also have Chapel Hill addresses.
That is true in terms of mailing addresses. But the town itself does not spill into Chatham County. It does spill into Durham County.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
But when looking for a home and the address is Chapel Hill folks don't always realize that it's not Chapel Hill—a mite confusing, no? The "metro" area of Chapel Hill, such as it is, certainly does spill over into Chatham.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,800,895 times
On my old board one of the posters used to call a place that fell outside the town limits but used the town name as "faux [insert name of town here]." So a person who lived in Chapel Hill in Chatham County, for example, actually lived in Faux Chapel Hill. People used to get annoyed by that, but I thought it was a kind of accurate name for it. Briar Chapel is definitely Faux Chapel Hill.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,159,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
And Chapel Hill just gives the kind of vibe I simply did not get from Cary.
Two Buddhist temples as well as many Hindu temples in Cary.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,576,661 times
There's one Hindu temple off hw54 in Cary. And one on Aviation Parkway in Morrisville. Are there more than one in Cary?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,159,726 times
There's also Sri Shirdi SaiBaba Mandir on Maynard and there's another one I can't remember the name of that meets informally but they're working on acquiring land for a temple from what my coworker that affiliated with them was telling me.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:29 PM

487 posts, read 891,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
On my old board one of the posters used to call a place that fell outside the town limits but used the town name as "faux [insert name of town here]." So a person who lived in Chapel Hill in Chatham County, for example, actually lived in Faux Chapel Hill. People used to get annoyed by that, but I thought it was a kind of accurate name for it. Briar Chapel is definitely Faux Chapel Hill.
Gonna start using this! So many white people seem to live in Faux Washington DC or Faux Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary