Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:48 AM

9,776 posts, read 15,781,748 times

Advertisements

I just remembered there is a section of C-D when you first get on where you can click on the state and a city in the state and look at the demographics and all kinds of information about the city. I looked up Cary and Chapel Hill and they are very similar in terms of race demographics. Cary is 69% white, 13% Asian, 8% black, 8% hispanic, and 2% 2 or more races/other. Chapel Hill is 70% white, 12% Asian, 10% black, 6% hispanic, and 2% 2 or more/other. For kicks, I compared it to Rockville, Maryland, not knowing where you are coming from. Rockville is 53% white, 21% Asian, 14% hispanic, 9% black, and 3% two or more/other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Ha! I'll believe it when I see it, err hear it on C-D. Seriously, I know they are headed that direction, but then I thought they said they're keeping assignments as is for one more year? I don't know - I can't keep up with Wake County's assignment plan.
lol true. But from the last press release they had they said people who chose a school this year could stay in that school, but anyone new to the system would have a node placement. Now how they're going to work out THAT mess with the buses I have no idea.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
My answers in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisha125 View Post
(1) Very good public schools- My kids will be in 1st grade next year Both areas have very good schools. Chapel Hill wins out on paper. But what's really important is which is the best school for your child.
(2) Proximity to work Sounds like Cary will be closer.
(3) Peaceful, safe neighborhoods to raise our kids Toss-up.
(4) Decent homes for 350- 400k Cary.
(5) Cultural diversity since we are Asians Chapel Hill (but either is fine)

Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
How about Morrisville?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Yeah, I would not want that commute from Chapel Hill to Raleigh. Cary wins on commute, and on price (Chapel Hill is among the costliest place in NC overall). Chapel Hill would win on schools, though Cary has good schools--the issue would be whether you're going to be reassigned a lot as happens in Wake cty.

Both areas have enough Asians that that issue is moot as a deciding factor. There are plenty of "peaceful, safe" neighborhoods--best thing to do is come and tour them with a real estate agent.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 PM

487 posts, read 890,858 times
Don't take the commute. Let's face it, this area is a bit in the middle of nowhere. A commute might be acceptable in a big city, but why move to suburban nowhere only to have to commute?

Sounds like Cary is the place for you. Also don't forget to compare the property taxes.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Every makes good points. We are a family with Asian children and we looked in both places, deciding on Chapel Hill mostly because of the superior schools and diversity. And the Wake County School system has been in flux for several years and i did not want to deal with it. yes property in CH is expensive but that is why the schools are so good. The CH public Library is crawling with Asian children and families every Sunday afternoon. We have made friends just from being there so frequently. There is a nice Buddhist Temple close by-don't know about Cary. And Chapel Hill just gives the kind of vibe I simply did not get from Cary.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
My two half-Asian children live with me in Cary. We like it here.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:09 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Both are great places to live and raise a family. Both are home to many Asians, although I would say Cary/Morrisville has a higher concentration of Asian Indians. Both have excellent schools but as other posters have mentioned, Wake County always seems to be in a state of flux so I would vote for Chapel Hill in terms of schools. As far as your price range, you will find more home options in Cary as Chapel Hill is definitely more expensive. Lastly, I would not want to commute from Chapel Hill to Raleigh, it can bbe challenging although there are people who do it daily.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:02 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
There are tons of homes in the $350-400,000 price range in Chapel Hill. There's not a house in my older middle class neighborhood in Chapel Hill that would be over that, or even in that I don't think. Maybe one house would be in that range. You can definitely find new construction in that range, too. I just looked online at a brand new 2012 built green home 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, near the middle of town, Chapel Hill schools for $385.

There are Asians in Chapel Hill, but not a tremendous amount of Indians. There are some, though, and some great Indian food, as well as great Asian food. You don't say your specific Asian ethnicity, but if it's of interest Chapel Hill Carrboro schools have a Mandarin dual language program that runs from elementary thru high school. It was on the chopping block this spring due to budget cuts, but they ultimately decided to keep it. The schools are also expanding their already larger dual language spanish program.

It sounds like the non-Indian Asian population is pretty similar in both Cary and Chapel Hill. I think what I would weigh is the schools including the state of flux Wake county schools are in vs the feel of both towns. I think they are pretty different towns myself.

Chapel Hill is a quintessential college town. They close off the main drag when the team wins big in basketball for celebrations. It's very liberal leaning. There's an emphasis on buying local and fewer national chains and more local shops and restaurants. At the same time it's very family friendly. The schools are great because there are very involved parents and great teachers. The high schools can be pretty competitive academically and some kids find them pretty stressful, but others really rise to the challenges. If all that sounds like a good fit then Chapel Hill might be the place for you.

Cary is home to many transplants and is also very family friendly. It's safe, clean, well kept. They have a lot of nice amenities for families, great greenways. Easy access to big shopping centers, etc. Others can speak to more of the plusses for Cary, too. But definitely the commute would be easier. Raleigh itself also has many nice neighborhoods and since it's a county-wide school system you're not in a different district.

If you're interested in Chapel Hill/Carrboro for the schools, do be careful of the school district boundaries when you're looking. Chapel Hill/Carrboro schools are a small town based system. Orange county has its own school system as does Chatham county. Some homes with a Chapel Hill address may be in Chatham, Durham, or Orange county outside the CHCCS district boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary