Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,687,840 times

Advertisements

Not anymore...next year they get thrown in the pot just like Wake Co!

According to the NEwsObserver website:

CHAPEL HILL -- A complicated, transformative redistricting of Chapel Hill-Carrboro’s school zones could end up moving one-third of elementary school students to different schools in the 2013-14 school year. A new elementary school under construction in the Northside neighborhood will necessitate the redistricting, a thorny process that school board and staff members concede will leave few parents happy.
“They’re all going to scream bloody murder. I accept that,” said Jamezetta Bedford, who participated in a previous redistricting made necessary by the addition of Morris Grove Elementary School in 2008.
[LEFT]
Read more here: Redistricting could move one in three CHCCS elementary students - Orange County - NewsObserver.com
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
That stinks, but I think it's inevitable eventually in most triangle area schools.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:57 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times
Wake County's districts may be pretty messy right now but, really, any area of the country that experiences growth is also going to -- at some point -- experience redistricting. I hope that Chapel Hill will be able to make the necessary changes without inconveniencing TOO many families.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,414 times
Default not the same

No its not the same as Wake because this is due to new schools being built, Wake is doing it and not building new schools.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:03 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Well, it's not really just like Wake County. Everyone will have a school assigned to their address. People moving here next spring or summer will likely know which school their kids will be assigned to. I think that is what most people moving to Wake County do not like - that they do not know what school their new house will be assigned to. It also isn't like Wake County in that kids will still go to the same school as their neighbors. We've known about this new school being built for awhile. Heck, I knew about it before I moved here. Obviously, kids are going to get moved to the new school from other schools, but it will help relieve some crowding.

At the same time, they are making the lowest-performing elementary school a total Spanish immersion school, so it will no longer be a neighborhood school. Some people I know who feed into that school are actually happy about it, since they will likely now feed into a better-performing school. Combine that whole school's population moving plus needing to populate a brand new school, and that's 2 schools' worth of children out of 11 schools that will be affected.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
The article states that 1 out of 3 students will be affected and that they are expecting a lot of angry parents.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
I doubt they would change schools for those of us within a "Walking Zone" to our school. This means no bus service for us but my kids like walking to school.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:27 PM

149 posts, read 197,120 times
The question is will the same outside cast of characters show up to make a spectacle of themselves and divert the focus from what the real issues are?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Nah. I dont think it's going to be that much of a big deal. People understand. My kids go to one of the schools most affected by the magnet changes and I haven't had any other parents complain in my direction. Our neighborhood will likely be redistricted when the new school opens in fall 2013 and I haven't heard anyone complain about that either. It's part of growth. I'm actually really happy they're building a neighborhood school in Northside. That neighborhood has been split with half of it going to Carrboro Elementary and half going to Rashkis. I think the new Northside school will be very positive for the neighborhood. We may well end up districted for it and I'm ok with that too. We've been taking detours past the construction to show my 3rd grader in case that's where she ends up.

I'm sure some parents will complain to the school board. Some people take that on as a hobby but no one I know in town is the least bit upset about a new school being built or even about redistricting.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

I'm sure some parents will complain to the school board. Some people take that on as a hobby .
So true. What's there to be upset about it? People wonder why the special snowflakes these days can't handle anything....it's the parents who are to blame. I had to switch schools as a kid due to re-districting, my parents didn't make it out to be any big deal and while I really didn't want to switch schools, I just went with the flow. Nowadays my parents would have me propped up in front of the school board whining and complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary