Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NC and lived in the same house the whole time I was growing up and ended up switching schools 6 times due to redistricting and busing. Sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth grades were all in different schools. It's not ideal but it's easier if some of your neighborhood friends have to switch too.

Some people really do like to complain and I imagine that's who Jamzetta is talking about in that article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 06:15 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Wake County's districts may be pretty messy right now but, really, any area of the country that experiences growth is also going to -- at some point -- experience redistricting.
Dark is right. (And I'm not just saying that to suck up to our gracious and benevolent moderator!) CHCCS opens a new school every several years, and when that happens addresses have to be reshuffled to rebalance the schools. It doesn't happen as extensively as some areas of Wake County, but it does happen. In my time in Chapel Hill, we've been redistricted for high schools from East to Chapel Hill High. Fortunately, though, we didn't have any kids affected by the change when it happened.

CHCCS looks at many of the same factors that Wake County has used in setting school attendance boundaries, as noted in the referenced article:
Quote:
Balancing school populations, student achievement levels, socioeconomic factors and geography will be challenging enough. In the past, figures for free and reduced lunch recipients were used to assess socioeconomic status. The USDA recently decided that this information is private and cannot be used as a measuring tool.
The one major difference from Wake County is that CHCCS doesn't constantly re-assess and re-balance school populations. It just sets the attendance zones and leaves them fixed until a new school opening necessitates a change.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,964,220 times
Chapel Hills redistrictings have been pretty mellow in the past because the new schools have gone into areas of high development. Mcdougal (north carborro), Scroggs (southern village) Rashkis (Meadowmont) and Morris Grove (Lake Hogan Farms) were all filled the day they opened with nearby families happy to have a new school nearby.

The new elementary is the first "in town" elementary school to open since I've been here, and since it does not have the same density of nearby families, it will likely be a bit more of a change than the openings in the past.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 PM

149 posts, read 431,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So true. What's there to be upset about it? People wonder why the special snowflakes these days can't handle anything....it's the parents who are to blame. I had to switch schools as a kid due to re-districting, my parents didn't make it out to be any big deal and while I really didn't want to switch schools, I just went with the flow. Nowadays my parents would have me propped up in front of the school board whining and complaining.
I think the principle issue with most people who showed up at the school board meeting was the amount of busing required to achieve balanced schools in the plan versions 1-3. Those plans will send some elementary students past 3 other closer schools and triple or quadruple busing times. It's an unnecessary burden and risk that is obviated by the adoption of the 4th plan which emphasizes neighborhood schools.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So true. What's there to be upset about it? People wonder why the special snowflakes these days can't handle anything....it's the parents who are to blame. I had to switch schools as a kid due to re-districting, my parents didn't make it out to be any big deal and while I really didn't want to switch schools, I just went with the flow. Nowadays my parents would have me propped up in front of the school board whining and complaining.
This. I had to change schools three times in Wake. I had a 30+ minute bus ride for two of those schools. What did my parents say about it? Nothing. Or maybe a, "That's life," once or twice. As long as I was getting a sound education they were happy. I'm sure there were parents that raised bloody hell in the 80s and 90s as well but they were doing their children a disservice imo.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
This is part and parcel of living in a very high-growth area. How can they keep accomodating an increasing number of new kids without building more schools and therefore moving some around?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckdisc View Post
I think the principle issue with most people who showed up at the school board meeting was
Spoiler
Property values.
Shhhh.....

Old 12-04-2012, 06:04 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,799 times
I was following the hearing on twitter (thru Orange County Politics) Sounded like there were some pretty angry parents, with matching t-shirts and everything. So, I don't think you can so "no one is complaining".

Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Actually, what I said back in August was I hadn't heard anyone complaining then. I still haven't actually. I have read about the complaints from the folks in the Parkside neighborhood and nearby and I do see where they're coming from, but I haven't heard any complaints in person from the parents I know. I did say that I expected there would be some parents complaining to the school board since there always are, but by and large I think the school board is doing a good job of being transparent about the 4 different plans and what their aims are overall for redistricting. Our neighborhood may leave our current school, but nobody is up in arms about it. My kid loves Carrboro Elementary, but she's completely fine with going to Northside if that's what the board picks.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 AM

The opposition being voiced by the Northside, Parkwood and Larkspur neighborhoods is very organized and coordinated. They have authored research papers and position statements, attended committee and Board meetings, held heavily attended planning meetings to discussed strategy around communications, speaking roles, etc., and circulated petitions with 90%+ signature rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary