Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,311 times

Advertisements

Hello --

We are looking at houses in the Chapel Hill school district and are wondering if there is any risk to purchasing in an area with low county taxes but still zoned for CHC schools (Oxbow Crossing, for example). We are not concerned about our taxes going up (and will deal with it if they do) but ARE concerned about getting redistricted out of the Chapel Hill school district. Does that ever happen?

Somewhat related: any insight on why homes are sitting so long in Southern Village? I know the market is slow right now (good for us!!) but that area seems particularly hard hit as things are listing for below tax value and are still not moving. Everything you read about SV says houses often sell by word of mouth -- that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Anyone know why? SV is lower on our list of options because the lots are so small, but we're still considering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcecl View Post
Hello --

We are looking at houses in the Chapel Hill school district and are wondering if there is any risk to purchasing in an area with low county taxes but still zoned for CHC schools (Oxbow Crossing, for example). We are not concerned about our taxes going up (and will deal with it if they do) but ARE concerned about getting redistricted out of the Chapel Hill school district. Does that ever happen?
I don't have the answer but have you tried calling CHC school district and or someone w/ the city?

As far as SV goes, it always seemed over valued to me. Maybe this is one of those areas where the market is correcting itself. And yes, I honestly believe that some market correction is happening in pockets of the Triangle.... not all areas of the Triangle but certainly pockets. That doesn't mean that you'll see or notice these corrections when you look at overall sales of a city. Just my 2 cents.... but I'm not a real estate professional.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:50 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,827 times
You can buy in the county which will have lower taxes and still be in CH/C school district, so you wouldn't be paying the city taxes. But, one reason taxes are higher is b/c you pay a separate school tax which you would still have to pay if you are zoned to CH/C schools. They would not change that zoning.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Not sure if this is what you are concerned with but if you want to insure your kids stay in the same school, buy in a "walking zone" of that school. No bus service but you can guarantee you won't have to change schools. I know several families who have done that. Good luck. The schools are worth the increased taxes and all who take advantage of these superior schools should have to pay their fair share.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,311 times
makes perfect sense. thank you!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:06 PM

149 posts, read 431,705 times
coltank is right about the reasoning. They won't change that. At least I hope not.

My personal opinion, but I think SV attracts a lot of out of staters and there really isn't that kind of corporate movement going on right now. That may be part of the reason.

FYI there is at least one home on Bayberry in Chapel Hill that would meet your county tax/CH schools criteria. A couple of others for sale in that neighborhood too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary