Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:15 PM

379 posts, read 581,486 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who:

1) Won't pay a dime for that highway?

2) Thinks they are going to lose money?

I anticipate that we will all see a WRAL report that says they are losing money. When I read that, I will laugh my butt off.

This is still a middle finger to everyone who paid taxes and they chose to toll the highway. I really hope everyone knows that and will not use that road or circumvent the whole process of photographing plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 PM

6,298 posts, read 16,118,548 times
Nothing is free.

I have no need to use the highway.

Sometimes people do the best they can with what they have (even government employees), and I think that's the situation here.

I don't think the government is giving me the middle finger.

Why would I wish for something like that to fail? If it fails, we pay for it one way or another.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,346,705 times
Am I the only one who:

1) Is pissed that I have to pay toll because I live in Apex while others in North Raleigh using 540 won't have to?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:07 AM

379 posts, read 581,486 times
no. you aren't

Old 07-07-2012, 12:34 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,039,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Am I the only one who:

1) Is pissed that I have to pay toll because I live in Apex while others in North Raleigh using 540 won't have to?
I live in North Raleigh & I agree it doesn't seem fair.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:55 AM

843 posts, read 2,103,658 times
Would it have been more fair to wait 20 years for the funds from the DOT and FEDS??

Boo Hoo. If you dont like the road, dont use it. Its strictly optional. I occasionally ride from Durham out to Morrisville. I just get off the Durham Freeway onto Cornwallas, go down and make a right on Davis. No need for the toll rd for me. But others love it.

I took it once, both ways. I got a .90 bill. That was my choice. I paid it. Nice road. May never ride on it again, but I may....

Old 07-07-2012, 05:48 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,346,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
Would it have been more fair to wait 20 years for the funds from the DOT and FEDS??

Boo Hoo. If you dont like the road, dont use it. Its strictly optional. I occasionally ride from Durham out to Morrisville. I just get off the Durham Freeway onto Cornwallas, go down and make a right on Davis. No need for the toll rd for me. But others love it.

I took it once, both ways. I got a .90 bill. That was my choice. I paid it. Nice road. May never ride on it again, but I may....
You do know there's a difference between you the occassional driver who can just take a short detour without needing to use the toll vs some of us who live in apex or holly springs and work in rtp that would find taking the toll daily to/from work useful right?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:55 AM

843 posts, read 2,103,658 times
No difference...either use the toll road or dont. Whining about it wont change a thing. There are other routes. When I work in Apex, I just take 55.
You realize the road WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN BUILT... for many years, without the toll?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,868,788 times
Default 540 Tolls will cause traffic congestion in Morrisville

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
Am I the only one who:

1) Won't pay a dime for that highway?

2) Thinks they are going to lose money?

I anticipate that we will all see a WRAL report that says they are losing money. When I read that, I will laugh my butt off.

This is still a middle finger to everyone who paid taxes and they chose to toll the highway. I really hope everyone knows that and will not use that road or circumvent the whole process of photographing plates.
I think many of the 20,000 West Cary residents will agree with you. We will have to pay Tolls to use a publicly funded road that has been open for 5 years, and once the Tolls are implemented will revert back to using Morrisville Carpenter Road instead of 540 for many non urgent journeys. The effect will be to move traffic from 540 to an already busy road whilst 540 is under utilized. Just look at how few cars are using the Triangle Expressway that became a Toll Road back in January. It would be interesting if WRAL or N&O investigated the revenue raised since Triangle Expressway started Tolls versus the Turnpike Authority projections, as that is likely to be repeated when 540 Tolls are introduced.

I am sure that Morrisville residents will be shocked to find that the proceeds of the Bond they will have to finance is to pay for roads to provide an alternate route through their town so motorists can avoid the Tolls. They seem to have enough issues with the Bond without even understanding the real reason for the Roads funding

Cary News | Morrisville bond survey under investigation

Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,976,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
It would be interesting if WRAL or N&O investigated the revenue raised since Triangle Expressway started Tolls versus the Turnpike Authority projections, as that is likely to be repeated when 540 Tolls are introduced.
The Triangle Expressway was never intended/expected to be entirely self-funding. The State highway budget includes approximately $25 million "gap payment" to pay for the road, including a portion of the financed cost. The topic has come up again recently in the news with the flap this summer over funding requests for the Garden Parkway near Charlotte and the Mid-Currituck bridge.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/crosst...-project-costs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary