Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 PM

13 posts, read 20,561 times

Advertisements

I'm debating getting a speed pass thingy. I have gotten used to getting on the current 540 at the current 55 ramp to go to the airport or to drive to Triangle Town Center / Knightdale.

I have used the new 147 part and received 2 bills--- one for 77 cents and one for $1.58. I don't know if it makes more sense to pay for the pass and get the discount or just let them waste money billing me here or there.

I guess I will have more out of pocket expense once they start tolling at the current 55 exit.

Does anyone have experience with the speed pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Nothing wrong with EZ pass, had it for years. You pay for the tag sometimes, some times it's free if you pick the right state to get the tag. Give them your CC and they bill you in like 40 dollar increments. It's nice for traveling out of town and using other toll networks.

EDIT: Just read that the NC quick pass *isn't* going to work with other TOLL systems. I have NO idea what they are thinking here by not using the standard EZ pass system that, MD, VA, NY and probably other states use.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
EDIT: Just read that the NC quick pass *isn't* going to work with other TOLL systems. I have NO idea what they are thinking here by not using the standard EZ pass system that, MD, VA, NY and probably other states use.
Incorrect. I don't know where you read that, but right on the NC Quick Pass website it says that they are working for compatibility:

Quote:
North Carolina is working with other toll agencies (E-ZPass, SunPass, etc.) to allow NC Quick Pass to be accepted for payment of tolls on other states' toll roads and out-of-state transponders to work in North Carolina.
You have to remember that the system NC is using is a new generation of tolling; they have to figure out how to be compatible with older systems. Takes time.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 AM

379 posts, read 580,007 times
I am shocked by the amount of people here that actually believe what the local/state government tells them.

That's my biggest issue. You haven't been told anything near the truth.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:45 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Well, the one drawback to the system is you have to have the more expensive hard case transponder to be compatible with other systems, the $5 stickers will not work. They may be better, but they were not publicizing that very well before.

Also, at least one of the reasons there are no agreements in place is due to the fact that up till now, NC toll records were subject to public records availability laws so they could become public. The major toll compacts like EZ Pass all require they remain confidential, so they had to pass a law to change that. It was just done in the last couple weeks so hopefully they can get moving.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 AM

843 posts, read 2,099,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
I am shocked by the amount of people here that actually believe what the local/state government tells them.

That's my biggest issue. You haven't been told anything near the truth.
So whats the 'truth'? Please back up with links. If its just your 'opinion' passed off as facts, dont bother

Old 07-10-2012, 06:53 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by office lover View Post
I'm debating getting a speed pass thingy. I have gotten used to getting on the current 540 at the current 55 ramp to go to the airport or to drive to Triangle Town Center / Knightdale.

I have used the new 147 part and received 2 bills--- one for 77 cents and one for $1.58. I don't know if it makes more sense to pay for the pass and get the discount or just let them waste money billing me here or there.

I guess I will have more out of pocket expense once they start tolling at the current 55 exit.

By speed pass, you mean the NC Quick Pass? I've got one and it was a breeze. Follow the instructions on where to place the sticker and voila. You can purchase online - it's $5.00 for the sticker and you have to place $20.00 to start out in your account. You can look up your statement online to track usage and each month you receive an e-statement. It will also alert you when you reach a minimum balance so you can add more funds to your account. Also, I found that trips I took immediately prior to getting my transponder but after opening my account were billed at the Quick Pass rate rather than the Bill by Mail rate.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by office lover View Post

By speed pass, you mean the NC Quick Pass? I've got one and it was a breeze. Follow the instructions on where to place the sticker and voila. You can purchase online - it's $5.00 for the sticker and you have to place $20.00 to start out in your account. You can look up your statement online to track usage and each month you receive an e-statement. It will also alert you when you reach a minimum balance so you can add more funds to your account. Also, I found that trips I took immediately prior to getting my transponder but after opening my account were billed at the Quick Pass rate rather than the Bill by Mail rate.

Do check on their website though as there are certain vehicles that require the hard case transponder as opposed to the sticker.

https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/abo...vehicles.shtml

Old 07-10-2012, 07:02 AM

149 posts, read 197,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Correct for now. It currently does not work with it and there is no guarantee it ever will. They may try to get them to work together but who knows for sure. Time will tell.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2MA2NC View Post
Correct for now. It currently does not work with it and there is no guarantee it ever will. They may try to get them to work together but who knows for sure. Time will tell.
The answer earlier in the thread is correct -- it is a legal issue, given NC's need to agree to other states' rules on privacy for these records so they can't be used in civil matters. NC is using standardized transponders if you go for those over the sticker. It will get worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary