Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:17 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,936 times

Advertisements

newsobserver.com | Wake adds more than 5,600 new students (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/wake/story/699916.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:19 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,179,716 times
Some classes are being held in (as we said in NYC), the "terlit".

Maybe now people will stop coming here so Dr. Burns can catch up with his enrollment.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:32 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,936 times
People aren't going to stop moving. This happened in CA, in FL and in WA and OR among many other places. People are always looking for "the next best thing". Heck, we want to get out of the NE, high tax, bad politics, terrible weather, high cost of living rat race ourselves. However, coming from a small suburban town (experiencing its own growth problems but nothing on the scale of WCPSS), everything I've read and seen about WCPSS has led me to look to Orange Co, perhaps Johnston Co or most likely CH/Carrboro (should we ever get down there...)

Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Might be a wise choice.

We're happy our second and final student graduated WCPSS in 2000.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,064,146 times
A friend of mine who lives on the west coast recently told me that moving to the Triangle is "sooooo last year". Maybe if what she says is true and the Triangle isn't the trendy destination it used to be, then the schools will finally have a chance to catch up.

9,848 posts, read 30,303,045 times
Can somebody help me out these quotes from the article into perspective?

Quote:
“Long carpool lines greet parents.”
"It's hard to get here in the morning," said Medha Deshmukh, whose son, Nihar, is a second-grader at Davis Drive. "I can see the school from my house, but I'm lucky if it takes me a half hour to drive here."

I have often wondered why so many parents in this area drive their children to school instead of putting them on the bus? I know some children have special needs, or go to charter or magnet schools that don’t provide transportation, so those parents have to drive them to school everyday, but I can’t help but feel that there are a lot of students who have access to buses but aren’t using them. Why is this? So many adults complain about the lack of good public transportation is this area, yet when buses are provided to transport children to school many parents opt to drive them instead.

When I was a child I took the bus from K all the way up to 11th grade. The bus ride depending on the school I went to was anywhere from 15 minutes to 40 minutes. I looked forward to and enjoyed waiting at the bus stop and the Bus ride to school. It gave me an opportunity to socialize with friends, make new friends, and cram for the occasional test. Why is it that so many parents don’t want to put their children on the school buses here? I find it so odd when I pass schools that have long carpool lines of parents picking up / dropping off their children when at the same time buses are lined up to pick up the rest of the children. Is there something wrong with the bus system that I am not aware of? Are there not enough buses?

I don’t mean to offend those of you who drive your children to school. I just really want to understand why so many people in this area appear to choose to do so when there are other buses available

2,835 posts, read 7,347,335 times
Don't forget there are a lot of private school in the area so you can bypass the WCPSS. But you still have to pay for the current $1,000,000,000 Bond passed last year and the new $1,000,000,000 Bond they will propose in 2008. For the Northeastern'ers who wanted to exit the higher tax rates......they followed you and I! Boohoo!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Can somebody help me out these quotes from the article into perspective?

Quote:
“Long carpool lines greet parents.”
"It's hard to get here in the morning," said Medha Deshmukh, whose son, Nihar, is a second-grader at Davis Drive. "I can see the school from my house, but I'm lucky if it takes me a half hour to drive here."

I have often wondered why so many parents in this area drive their children to school instead of putting them on the bus? I know some children have special needs, or go to charter or magnet schools that don’t provide transportation, so those parents have to drive them to school everyday, but I can’t help but feel that there are a lot of students who have access to buses but aren’t using them. Why is this? So many adults complain about the lack of good public transportation is this area, yet when buses are provided to transport children to school many parents opt to drive them instead.

When I was a child I took the bus from K all the way up to 11th grade. The bus ride depending on the school I went to was anywhere from 15 minutes to 40 minutes. I looked forward to and enjoyed waiting at the bus stop and the Bus ride to school. It gave me an opportunity to socialize with friends, make new friends, and cram for the occasional test. Why is it that so many parents don’t want to put their children on the school buses here? I find it so odd when I pass schools that have long carpool lines of parents picking up / dropping off their children when at the same time buses are lined up to pick up the rest of the children. Is there something wrong with the bus system that I am not aware of? Are there not enough buses?

I don’t mean to offend those of you who drive your children to school. I just really want to understand why so many people in this area appear to choose to do so when there are other buses available

Better still, if she can see the school, why not exercise the tush a bit and (God forbid) walk to it.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:52 AM

353 posts, read 996,675 times
NRG:

If you are a transfer student, you do not have transportation provided. If you live "too close" to the school, I believe you also do not have access to the bus.

In addition, if you are one of the 'lucky ones' to be bused for diversity, you could literally be sent past the other, CLOSER, schools, and the time on your bus could be close to an hour or more, with pick up times around 6am (I have seen it). For classes that start after 8, this seems ludicrous to most, and many parents I know prefer to allow their children to actually SLEEP and drive them at around 7:30.

Not to mention the fact that WCPSS buses just had the most horrific inspection results -- I believe out of a 0-100 scale (0 = best, 100 = worst) Wake scored 98.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,064,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Better still, if she can see the school, why not exercise the tush a bit and (God forbid) walk to it.
I had the same thought. If you're close enough to see the school from your house, why not walk? It'll save you time and you'll get some good exercise.

Some kids who are picked up or dropped off by their parents attend extra curricular activities either before or after school. I know from personal experience that figure skaters often take lessons early in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary