Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,350,884 times

Advertisements

We used to go to Pho Cali until we recently had a bad experience with the owner lady who tried to rip us off. They don't give you the total bill at the table. You have to go up to the counter to pay and she didn't even show us the bill. So when she rang things up, it was an even $35. I was about to pay when I started suspecting the total bill and calculated in my head that it should only be around $30 tax included. So I confronted her about the situation and she said it was for an extra little plate of the veggies you put in the pho. EXTRA?

In the past they've always given us two plates since we ordered 4 large bowls of Pho and they had never charged us before. When did they become so stingy?

In any event, it still didn't add up to $35 but my wife told me to just pay and never go back there again. So customers beware, when you don't suspect it, they will just ring up your bill at the counter since you never get to see it anyways.

Then we tried Pho Far East across the street based on some friends' recommendations and not only did it taste better, the place was clean, nicely decorated, and didn't smell like smoke like Pho Cali always does.

I would not recommend Dalat at Mission Valley as their portions are smaller and prices are on average $3 more than other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 PM

235 posts, read 424,223 times
thanks for the recommendations... it looks like either Pho Far East or Pho Cali then

Old 02-17-2012, 08:57 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,157,354 times
I agree that Saigon Grill in Durham is worth the drive. I've not tried many of the other places in this region, but I've had a lot of excellent Vietnamese in Charlotte, and even more-so in Houston and aother places, and Saigon is good.

If you are ever in Greensboro, try the Bahn Mi Bakery on High Point Road. Mostly just the Bahn Mi, but OH SO GOOD.

9n9 is OK, but nothing special. I'd eat there, but if I have the time I'll drive the extra 25 miles each way to go to Saigon Grille. It's worth it.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 PM

Pho Far East did not disappoint!!! thanks guys...

Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,350,884 times
were you at far east last night? i was there and the place was packed!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
were you at far east last night? i was there and the place was packed!
yes, it was packed, we had to wait like 20 minutes

Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 PM

195 posts, read 287,104 times
I still like Pho 9n9 in Durham myself.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,182,383 times
Went to 9N9 for lunch today and I think the quality has gone down from the last time I was there. I'm hoping it was just an off day but the table next to us was having a conversation that basically went, "Why do we keep coming here for lunch? It's never very good." I just hate having to trek out to Capital every time I want some bun

Old 02-20-2012, 07:57 PM

195 posts, read 287,104 times
I'll be honest. I haven't been there in 3 months. It was close to where I worked but I got a new job. Sad to hear it's falling downhill.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:59 PM

6,834 posts, read 9,108,595 times
My partner who works in Durham says that Saigon Grill has improved since they apparently have changed ownership. We used to go there and they would tell us that they were out of this or that item.

I'll go to 9N9 if I'm desperate because it's a few miles from my house.

I've been to Dalat and that's OK but it really is a hole in the wall place.

I've been going to Pho Far East for a few months now, since it's not too far from my work. It's a little out of the way but it's good enough to make the drive over there. I'd say Pho Far East is my current favorite. Reviews are good, place is clean, they even seem to recognize me now when I go in there. They seem pretty friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary