Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:56 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,894 times

Advertisements

It's different in every HOA. Some covenants require paying 100% assessments for a lot, others state it's a percentage until you get the C.O.

All dues are different and it's not really useful to compare them. One neighborhood might charge $600/ year and the other might charge $200/ year, but the second neighborhood might only offer entrance landscaping, while the first might offer pools, tennis courts, trails, etc. You'll need to research all of them independently. Your realtor can assist you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
$350 a year 27587 wake forest.

No representation
No usefulness
Waste of money
No community anything
No community services
Oh, but the HOA has an email list so neighbors can communicate. lol
Request your budget and your financials from your board. If this is true, you should take action. However, I'd be willing to bet that there is a lot of land that wouldn't get mowed, entrance signs that wouldn't be lighted, etc. if you didn't pay dues. I frequently talk to owners who think they get "nothing" for their dues, but then I rattle off what I actually pay with their dues (insurance, landscaping, required detention pond maintenance, etc.) and then they change their tunes.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
When my lease is up, its the homes owners problem. Luckily, its part of rent where he pays it out of his pocket, I'd be the Chairman of the Board to dissolve the stupid thing in a heartbeat otherwise.
The President of the Board cannot dissolve an association- that is up to the membership. The by-laws will delineate how the association may be dissolved and it is never left in the hands of one person or even the full Board.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:05 PM

273 posts, read 618,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
The President of the Board cannot dissolve an association- that is up to the membership. The by-laws will delineate how the association may be dissolved and it is never left in the hands of one person or even the full Board.
Right, however you seem to forget one thing. Until someone does SOMETHING, NOTHING will get done. The dissolution of anything starts with individuals ideas for the case. It wont close itself!

However, I dont really care, as stated, its the homeowners problem, not mine as a renter. When we choose a permanent home in the area, the HOA fees, as with everything, are a consideration.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM

53 posts, read 88,787 times
I'm guessing we may be in the minority with where we live? But, we have no HOA fees for our home in the 27587 zip code. No HOA b/c we don't live in a subdivision! Don't have to answer to anyone or abide by any covenants... We can let our freak flag fly

Homes not in subdivisions do still exist...even in 27587. If that's on your radar.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock11 View Post
Don't have to answer to anyone
Except city or county ordinances. If you are in the Falls Lake watershed (which I beleive you are) you are actually subject to very detailed environmental regualtions to protect the watersupply watershed regarding development in that area - regardless if it is in a development single property.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Except city or county ordinances. If you are in the Falls Lake watershed (which I beleive you are) you are actually subject to very detailed environmental regualtions to protect the watersupply watershed regarding development in that area - regardless if it is in a development single property.
I'm more or less talking about what color to paint our shed, whether our wood pile can have a blue tarp on it, parking on our lawn, or if we can hang our laundry on our clothesline or not.

One reason we moved to our current location is our appreciation of the beauty of Falls Lake, nature, state parks and all the wonderful activities they provide. It would be pretty irresponsible on my part to contribute to pollution of the area in which I live, work and play.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
I'm more or less talking about what color to paint our shed, whether our wood pile can have a blue tarp on it, parking on our lawn, or if we can hang our laundry on our clothesline or not.

One reason we moved to our current location is our appreciation of the beauty of Falls Lake, nature, state parks and all the wonderful activities they provide. It would be pretty irresponsible on my part to contribute to pollution of the area in which I live, work and play.
I like your attitude!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I like your attitude!
Thanks! I just like the independence factor of our location, is what I was getting at. Being policed and issued a 'warning' if my son's freshly washed diapers were hanging on the line would be hard for me to handle!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I just like the independence factor of our location, is what I was getting at. Being policed and issued a 'warning' if my son's freshly washed diapers were hanging on the line would be hard for me to handle!
I like your attitude, too! You knew what you want, researched it, and bought in an appropriate area for you. All day, I talk to people who I wish would have done that. But instead, they didn't want to abide by the covenants, but bought there anyway, it seems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary