Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 PM

97 posts, read 352,365 times

Advertisements

Which one is better for housing and taxes all costs? Which one is more expensive to buy a home? What kind of home would be best not to have a foundation problem? Built before what year? Are the home inspectors fair about telling what is wrong with a home?
Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 05:31 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
i dont know which foundation is best. it was explained to me that many homes here are on a slab because it costs less and it doesnt get as cold as up nprth and therefore it should not crack.
i can tell you one thing, i miss the basement storage space, but we have the garage. also the floors downstairs feel cold bcause of the slab...

Old 01-18-2008, 05:40 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
The land's clay in many areas and is garbage. Many foundations crack and throw the homes all off kilter.

Nobody seems to use pilings as in New Orleans and building codes are a sick joke.

Get full inspection including soil before buying.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:37 AM

131 posts, read 726,213 times
Just because it doesn't get as cold in NC doesn't mean your slab won't crack. I've seen slabs crack because of the extreme hot and dry conditions of the drought. When it doesn't rain for weeks at a time in the summer, the clay will dry out and crack. Crawl spaces are best, but during a hot and humid summer it can get damp under there. Just make sure the crawl space is properly sealed or ventilated and has a moisture barrier. It might even need a dehumidifier if it gets too damp.

My parents have a slab and the big drawback in my opinion is the lack of access to pipes and other lines. With a crawl space, it's not difficult to get under the house to make changes or repairs. Their slab cracked this summer because of the drought.

My home inspector seemed very fair in pointing out faults with the home I bought. In fact, I think he was too picky on some things, but that was great because it allowed me to decide what was important and what was something I could overlook.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:52 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
I live in Tampa, FL right now in a slab home (all they build here). The ground here is sand. No clay, no dirt really at all. Slabs crack. My new home's slab cracked within 18mo and it cracked the ceramic tile floors as a result from one side of the house to the other. It doesn't present other problems for us here than that--but it happens. And yes, plumbing is all inaccessible.

We're moving to Raleigh in a couple months and will be looking for a basement--if we don't find one, we want a crawl space.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 AM

97 posts, read 352,365 times
How much does it cost to fix the foundation approx if it does crack? Are you better off getting a older home due to it already settled and less chances of cracking? Can you get insurance on your home to cover foundation cracking?
Thanks

Old 01-18-2008, 09:49 AM

40 posts, read 118,910 times
Is there a reason that few homes in the area have basements? Is it a density of soil issue or a cost issue?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleejh View Post
Is there a reason that few homes in the area have basements? Is it a density of soil issue or a cost issue?

There are few basements here because it doesn't get very cold here. The various utilities don't need to be buried as deeply as in colder climates. Digging the hole for a basement is expensive, so if it doesn't have to be done it usually isn't done. It's cheaper to build up than to dig down. There are some walk-out basements on homes that are built on steeper lots, but there are very few traditional basements like what one might find up north.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
avoid a slab if you can. Slabs arent HORRIBLE, but they really aren't ideal. You really aren't going to find many houses with basements in NC. A house with a brick foundation with a crawl space is "the norm" for the most part, and is the best option. Houses on slabs just don't have the structural integrity that homes on brick foundations have. They are also much worse to deal with if you ever have serious plumbing problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary