Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,346,846 times

Advertisements

My Town of Apex Utility Bill always seems high because of certain factors below and I'm just curious if other cities like Raleigh, Cary, etc also charge this way.

The first costs are the basic mandatory fees I get charged which are: Garbage ($9.39), Recycling ($2.25), and Yard Waste ($4.00).

The second cost is water + sewer. For every water usage, I get charged for both Water and Sewer. The sewer is always higher than Water since it's based on Water usage but at a higher rate).

The final cost is Electricity.

All these add up every month. Last month I was traveling a lot and hardly used any of the services above since I was home appx only 5 days the entire month, but my bill ended up being $77.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 03:29 PM

342 posts, read 873,581 times
What was your water usage during this time? You know you are starting out with over $15 just for Trash and such. Also what was your electricity usage? This should help to determine if you have anything using a lot of electricity when not powered on or a leak perhaps with water.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM

22,715 posts, read 36,918,959 times
In Cary it is $14 for trash and sewer and the water is separate. My whole bill averages about $90 a month.

As far as electricity, my sister lives in a smaller house than me in Apex and her electric bills are consistently higher than mine. Someone is home all day at both houses.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,346,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfish923 View Post
What was your water usage during this time? You know you are starting out with over $15 just for Trash and such. Also what was your electricity usage? This should help to determine if you have anything using a lot of electricity when not powered on or a leak perhaps with water.
My water was about $9 and sewer $14 (pretty much water bill x certain uplift). Electricity was $40.
The town is overcharging compared to other towns!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,977,164 times
Orange County/Chapel Hill does not bill for trash, recycling and yard waste. Those are covered by property taxes.

Water & Sewer are provided by OWASA, a community non-profit. In low water-usage months (no lawn irrigation), my bill tends to be in excess of $70.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:20 AM

6 posts, read 13,499 times
I am in Holly Springs. Our electric is seperate from the rest.
But for water, sewer, trash our mandatory fees are about the same. I think my trash was $7 but the other 2 are the same as yours.Last month that bill alone was $61. My water and sewer amount is always equal to each other. So if one is $18 so is the other. However I have a lot of people living in my house(7) so my usage is going to be higher.
As far as electric. Even though you were gone did you have any lights on and off or anything plugged in(alarm clock etc..) was it a estimated bill?
The first 12 days we had this house we weren't even here. Had nothing plugged in(house was totally empty) and there were one light on and for that time our bill was $36 That was basically just fees.Our usage was $16.85 and the other $19 was fees.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,199,307 times
We have a 1 BR 870 SF apt in Raleigh and pay $50/month in water, sewer, and junk fees crammed on our bill to keep property taxes low.

Went up 15% after people started conserving to save water during droughts. Our reward in Raleigh was a 15% rate increase to compensate the city for lower sales of water from conservation. We just can't win, eh?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:37 PM

33 posts, read 81,299 times
WOW, I can't wait to move down there. When we owned our SFH we were on the electric budget plan of $206 a month, water was $160 a quarter, HOA dues were $212 a month (Trash, recycling and Snow removal).

Now we are renting in VA for just a few more months. NOVEC electric is $126 a month, we're on a well, and propane - that's the killer! They had us on auto fill and came out twice in one month, even though the tank was still more than 75% full. so for December alone it was $1246!!!! We keep the heat set around 65 during the day and 68 at night. that seems to keep it from running out.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,199,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassy&bold View Post
WOW, I can't wait to move down there. When we owned our SFH we were on the electric budget plan of $206 a month, water was $160 a quarter, HOA dues were $212 a month (Trash, recycling and Snow removal).

Now we are renting in VA for just a few more months. NOVEC electric is $126 a month, we're on a well, and propane - that's the killer! They had us on auto fill and came out twice in one month, even though the tank was still more than 75% full. so for December alone it was $1246!!!! We keep the heat set around 65 during the day and 68 at night. that seems to keep it from running out.
I'd heat that house by setting it on fire and moving out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary