Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times

Advertisements

Looks like Apex isn't budging on the issue. Kids aren't allowed to play in the street, even cul-de-sacs. I have to admit, while I'm torn on this issue, the Apex Police chief makes some valid points. Not everyone is out there watching their kids and his statement about disputes is difficult for residents to refute.

Full Story: Apex Herald - Residents fight for kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:41 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,618,413 times
Cary is less restrictive than Apex? Say it ain't so!!

I love this quote:

Quote:
“We can’t have an ordinance just for well-behaved children,” said Weatherly. “It has to be for everyone across the board.”

Read more: Apex Herald - Residents fight for kids

Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,828 times
Makes me glad that the Holly Springs mayor and a majority of the council members have common sense. Obviously the "Peak of good living" means sitting in and playing video games.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:56 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,728 times
No, it means playing in yards and parks, etc. not in streets where cars are supposed to drive. That is what kids in our neighborhoods do. They ride bikes in the street, but only by following the safety laws.

I have certainly come around a blind corner in neighborhoods in Cary, driving the speed limit, and been shocked by kids blocking the street. Scared me to death and almost was a bad scene. Maybe I somehow should have known they would be there....but I don't know how.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Am I the only one who finds it amusing when parents put those warning cones (tiny ones) out in the street like they're supposed to stop cars so their kids can play in the road?

Not that I'm gonna mow their kid over, but geez. It's a public roadway, not your driveway. If you want your kid to play outside, let'em play in your driveway, in the front yard, the back yard, etc. Or take them to the park.

The public roadways are no place for kids. Maybe older ones on bikes with helmets, following road rules... otherwise? No.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:28 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,260 times
We never let our son play in the street. That's just asking for trouble and I just can't understand for the life of me why anyone would want their kid to play in the street.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,180 times
It's not like parents are encouraging their kids to go play exclusively in the streets, the issue is that the town has no right to try to make it illegal for anyone to converge in a public place. It would be one thing if there was an ordinance to issue fines to the owners of private property left in the street, I'm OK with that. But stating that all children are banned from going in the street, and that their parents could be arrested as accomplices, on the basis that something MIGHT happen, it utterly rediculous. What's next, banning parents from sending children with bag lunches to school because they MIGHT have something with sugar??

Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
OK Chief. Nice flame bait. We now return to reality ....

Old 04-14-2011, 09:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
the issue is that the town has no right to try to make it illegal for anyone to converge in a public place.
I'll take the bait to correct chief.

Whether you agree with their position or not, the town does in fact have the right to enforce rules against people gathering in public roadways based on public safety issues.

The street isn't so much a "public place" as it a "public right of way" which is an area not restricted by land ownership and grants travel access to all. That doesn't necessarily mean a group of people can just pile into the streets and hinder traffic and not be subject fines/and or penalties.

I'm not saying I am in favor of the restriction but using flawed arguments against it isn't very helpful to those trying to get the laws changed.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'll take the bait to correct chief.

Whether you agree with their position or not, the town does in fact have the right to have rules against people gathering streets based on public safety issues.

The street isn't so much a "public place" as it a "public right of way" which is an area not restricted by land ownership and grants travel access to all. That doesn't necessarily mean a group of people can just pile into the streets and hinder traffic and not be subject fines/and or penalties.

I'm not saying I am in favor of the restriction but using flawed arguments against it isn't very helpful to those trying to get the laws changed.

Perhaps I should adjust it to stating that I believe they should have no right to. I will never claim to be an expert on the issue, but it just seems like a utter waste of time. Don't they have real problems to deal with?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary