Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:11 PM
KZG KZG started this thread

5 posts, read 7,151 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Thank you in advance for reading my long post and hopefully sharing your advice. We're a family of four (2 daughters ages 7 and 2). We lived in NJ and are currently living abroad. We're looking to move to NC in 2012. We are looking for a new (or as new as possible) construction under $120,000. We are thinking of paying cash ($100,000 max in that case). We homeschool our kids and I work online from home. We want some place safe that has nice weather, parks, and convenient shopping. We have never been to NC, and it seems to be very difficult deciding where to go just by researching books and searching the internet. PLEASE HELP: ADVISE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times
Not sure if there is new construction under $120K in Cary? Durham has some nice areas, but the $120K limit could still be a problem. You might look at Clayton area of Johnston County.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:31 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZG View Post
We are looking for a new (or as new as possible) construction under $120,000.
Are you open to manufactured housing? I don't think you will find a site-built house for that price.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:26 PM
KZG KZG started this thread

5 posts, read 7,151 times
Thanks for the replies.

What are the good places in Durham (and those to avoid)?

I really have no idea about manufactured housing. Thanks for bringing it up though.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I really have no idea about manufactured housing. Thanks for bringing it up though.
Look at this, and see the Genesis display model half-way down the page:
Ready to Occupy & Featured Special Homes in Raleigh NC - Royal Homes | Royal Homes You would have to locate and purchase a lot.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,840,551 times
Quote:
We're looking to move to NC in 2012. We are looking for a new (or as new as possible) construction under $120,000. We are thinking of paying cash ($100,000 max in that case). We have never been to NC, and it seems to be very difficult deciding where to go just by researching books and searching the internet.
Curious as to what has made this the area you want to move to specifically, if you have never been and don't trust what you're researching? That price is quite low for a good house in this area. There are many other places that fit your criteria for that price, but it will be hard to do in the Raleigh/Durham area. Are you looking at other places, too? You really should visit anywhere before 'deciding' to move there based on a little bit of research, if there is nothing like a job pulling you here--especially with such a low (for this area) budget.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Are you open to manufactured housing? I don't think you will find a site-built house for that price.
I'll have to correct myself. In Raleigh, there are 18 houses for sale on Realtor.com that are less than 5 years old. They are mostly in Zipcode 27610 in southeast Raleigh, and between 1300 and 1900 SF. I'll have to let others more knowledgeable tell you about the area.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:33 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Why here? You said you've never been and aren't coming here for work, as you can work from anywhere. Family in the area?

It's nice here and all, but you could get more bang for your housing buck elsewhere.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:09 AM

699 posts, read 1,707,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

It's nice here and all, but you could get more bang for your housing buck elsewhere.
Agree.

Last spring, we looked at a number of $150,000 homes in the area that looked great on Realtor.com but were dismal when we got there. Holes in the roof, maintenance that had been deferred for decades, decks that were rotting away, sketchy neighborhoods...

Foreclosures were the worst. Musty smelling and in need of repair, every one of them.

$120,000 homes? There were condos in that price range, but no houses that were liveable. Even the handyman specials would have required considerable financial investment to get them up to speed.

And a new house in that price range? I'd be leery about the construction of that one.

That's not to say that you can't find a good deal in that price range if you look far and wide in North Carolina. Or perhaps Tennessee or Kentucky or ??

Good luck on your next adventure and good for you guys for setting your sights on paying with cash. Smart move.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
$120,000 homes? There were condos in that price range, but no houses that were liveable. Even the handyman specials would have required considerable financial investment to get them up to speed.

And a new house in that price range? I'd be leery about the construction of that one.
Thanks PatRoy. I suggest that the OP look at buying land out in the country and buy a manufactured/mobile home to set on it. They have no need to be in the city limits. That way they can find a safer area also. I'd suggest Johnston, Harnett or Lee County.

OTOH, there are 4 nice new bungalows on Gerard east of the Duke campus in Durham zip 27707. It's near Burch Avenue and the Maplewood Cemetery. The area is about 65% minority, and the Lakewood ES is rated 3 out of 10. But if the buyers are OK with the situation, the house look great. For example: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/81...49972433_zpid/

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-24-2011 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Addition of Durham house and correct school rating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary