Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 9,323 times

Advertisements

I am looking at some properties in Garner and interested in any feed back regarding the commute from Garner to Raleigh. I have heard that because it is a "bedroom community" that the traffic at 7:30 am and 5:00pm is very bad.

Any comments would be greatly apprciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 07:28 AM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
I suppose "bad" is relative to where you are coming from. Compared to a commute from Waltham to Boston at rush hour, Garner to Raleigh would be a breeze. There are plenty of backroads if you feel 70 is to congested for you.

I commute from Clayton to Raleigh, 7:30am and 5:00pm or later and rarely have traffic problems. I like going the backroads, 40 and 70 do get congested, but traffic does move.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post
I suppose "bad" is relative to where you are coming from. Compared to a commute from Waltham to Boston at rush hour, Garner to Raleigh would be a breeze. There are plenty of backroads if you feel 70 is to congested for you.

I commute from Clayton to Raleigh, 7:30am and 5:00pm or later and rarely have traffic problems. I like going the backroads, 40 and 70 do get congested, but traffic does move.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess compared to Philly traffic, Garner would be a breeze.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:27 PM

214 posts, read 663,631 times
40 from Garner to Raleigh is very congested. But as Tassy mentioned, it does move. I leave the house at 7:30 every morning and drive 25 miles to Cary in 27 to 30 minutes.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Live on the west side of Garner. Ride 70/401/South Saunders/South Wilmington right into downtown if that's where you're going. If not you will connect with the beltline and with Western/Martin Luther King Boulevard to get wherever you're going. Western goes to NCSU and you can meet back up with the beltline west of 440 to go north. Take Glenwood/Creedmoor Rd. by Crabtree Valley Mall (taillight central, sometimes better off than taking 40 to 540) to go to North Raleigh. Raleigh itself is not very big, especially ITB.

Whatever you do, beat the Clayton/East Garner crowd up 70 in the morning.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:24 PM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Live on the west side of Garner. Ride 70/401/South Saunders/South Wilmington right into downtown if that's where you're going. If not you will connect with the beltline and with Western/Martin Luther King Boulevard to get wherever you're going. Western goes to NCSU and you can meet back up with the beltline west of 440 to go north. Take Glenwood/Creedmoor Rd. by Crabtree Valley Mall (taillight central, sometimes better off than taking 40 to 540) to go to North Raleigh. Raleigh itself is not very big, especially ITB.

Whatever you do, beat the Clayton/East Garner crowd up 70 in the morning.
JFRE...help me here... ITB? Inside The Beltline???

Old 08-11-2007, 05:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post
JFRE...help me here... ITB? Inside The Beltline???

You are correct!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:52 AM

Thanks everone for your feedback. We will be in Raleigh around the end of August to check out the commutes but, when I map the proerties we are looking at here is generally what I get:

4: Turn LEFT onto ROCK SERVICE STATION RD. 1.3 miles Map

5: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto OLD STAGE RD. 5.6 miles Map

6: Turn RIGHT onto FAYETTEVILLE RD / US-401 N. Continue to follow US-401 N. 3.6 miles Map

7: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto S SAUNDERS ST. 0.6 miles Map

8: Turn LEFT onto W SOUTH ST. 0.1 miles Map

9: Turn RIGHT onto S BOYLAN AVE. 0.6 miles Map

10: Turn LEFT onto HILLSBOROUGH ST / NC-54 W. 0.7 miles Map

11: Turn RIGHT onto OBERLIN RD. 0.5 miles Map

12: End at 702 Oberlin Rd

Make sense?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:48 AM

84 posts, read 370,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerlk View Post
Thanks everone for your feedback. We will be in Raleigh around the end of August to check out the commutes but, when I map the proerties we are looking at here is generally what I get:

4: Turn LEFT onto ROCK SERVICE STATION RD. 1.3 miles Map

5: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto OLD STAGE RD. 5.6 miles Map

6: Turn RIGHT onto FAYETTEVILLE RD / US-401 N. Continue to follow US-401 N. 3.6 miles Map

7: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto S SAUNDERS ST. 0.6 miles Map

8: Turn LEFT onto W SOUTH ST. 0.1 miles Map

9: Turn RIGHT onto S BOYLAN AVE. 0.6 miles Map

10: Turn LEFT onto HILLSBOROUGH ST / NC-54 W. 0.7 miles Map

11: Turn RIGHT onto OBERLIN RD. 0.5 miles Map

12: End at 702 Oberlin Rd

Make sense?
Those directions make sense to me. I too am new to the area. We moved 2 months ago to Fuquay which is right by Garner. I travel down 401/Fayetteville into downtown Raleigh and have even gone to the NC Autism Society at 505 Oberlin Rd and that is the way I have gone. Plus, I go into Garner for my son's Occupational Therapy appts and I am familiar with getting to Old Stage Rd from 401/Fayetteville. We have a GPS on our car and it has made all the difference in the world to me since we moved here. I never would have ventured out as much as I have without it. I have been all over Raleigh, Garner, Apex, Cary, etc because of it. It hasn't led me a astray yet. You might consider renting a car with one when you are visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary