Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 30,719 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move soon from Indianapolis and would like any info you can give us on Garner and South Raleigh! It's hard to tell alot over the internet about what a place is really like!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 09:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,413,429 times
Garner is a traditionally blue-collar suburb of Raleigh that's trying to be the "next Cary" from what I see. Lots of subdivisions, strip malls, etc all trying to get more white-collar suburbanites, in an attempt to increase its "status". A big flaw is they're bringing in more of this new growth than their current infrastructure, particularly roads, can handle. (That said, while not as good as Raleigh, I'd choose Garner over Cary or Clayton easily.)

South Raleigh is a mix....some really nice neighborhoods, some not so much....you just have to keep aware and keep your eyes open and you can easily avoid the not-so-good ones.
An amazing number of nice, new developments have started popping up down there, taking advantage of two big facts: 1) It's no where near as pricy as North Raleigh or Cary and 2) It's way closer to downtown too! Most South Raleigh neighborhoods also benefit from good proximity to I-40 and NC State Univ as well.
You can still find alot of good deals in South Raleigh...Southwest Raleigh is nicer than Southeast, but not as cheap. And that will change soon...both are considered the next "boom area" as North Raleigh and Cary fill up. In addition, if you have kids, the schools around South Raleigh aren't yet quite as crowded as the ones in Cary/Apex or North Raleigh. So that's a plus.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:51 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,275,704 times
I'll agree with most of what RaleighRob says but I would not choose Garner over Cary. My reason would have to do with the schools, mainly. Garner has begun growing quite rapidly and so the schools will get better as time goes on. Having said that...I have friends that live there and love it.

There was an article in the newspaper today that south and southeast Raleigh is going to be the next "up and coming" area. I hope so. Right now...East Raleigh has more crime and lower school scores, so its time for a change!

Vicki

Old 07-28-2006, 10:58 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,605,648 times
NO NO NO NO NO. I lived in the exact area you are talking about for 4 years. It's cheaper than the rest of Wake County because it has higher crime rates, worse schools (with the exceptoin of SE Raleigh High, which is a magnet school), and gang activity. Spring for other areas like Knightdale, Holly Springs, or Fuquay. They are a little farther out, but are still affordable and safer!

Old 07-28-2006, 11:56 AM

Again...supply and demand. North Raleigh and Cary are more expensive areas to live in due to the demand. Whats make the demand? Lower crime rates, better schools, etc. Some of the outskirt areas are less money but are now becoming more in demand. Find those areas if North Raleigh and Cary are too pricey. Vicki

Old 07-28-2006, 12:00 PM

iminformed---can you mention a specific neighborhood?
Hate to sound non-believing, but I really don't think this applies to ALL of South Raleigh (partcularly not to Southwest Raleigh which is full of yuppies and college professors.)

My uncle lived in South Raleigh, off of Saunders just below Caraleigh, for several years....I stayed with him one summer. I can't say I ever saw (or heard him mention) about ANY crime in his neighborhood. Heck, all his neighbors will little old ladies who seemed to only worry about whether or not he mowed his lawn often enough!
If they seriously had a problem with criminal activity, I highly doubt those old ladies would've wasted their time being overly nosey of a highly-paid chemist and his college student nephew. LOL

Old 07-28-2006, 12:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,605,648 times
The neighborhood was Tryon Pines. It was a subdivision off Tryon Road just past lake wheeler; built by Bill Clark homes. Just barely within the Raleigh City limts, very close to the Garner town line. It was a wonderfull house and a nice subdivision, but it was a bad area. There are some pretty rough older neighborhoods (this was a brand new neighborhood when I moved there in 2001) around it, including the Peach Creek townhomes, and Kingwood apartments. Lots of gang and drug activity in those areas. The gang MS13 "tagged" the Tryon Pines entrance sign TWICE with blue spraypaint (a neighbor of mine panted over the grafiti the first time), Not to mention that our little dog "dissapeared" from our backyard one night. We didn't even bother putting our house up for sale like 5 people on our street did that week; but rather we called up a "we buy houses" company, rented a house in Apex (which is where our kids already were assigned to school anyways), and were gone within a month.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:09 PM

I've been told by other agents in my office that neighborhoods around Tryon Road are really on the upswing. I haven't checked it out because at this time, I do not have anyone interested. I did sell a townhouse off Trail Ridge that sold in less than a week. Big demand, last year. RaleighRob??? Vicki

Old 03-31-2007, 05:29 PM

5,747 posts, read 17,621,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
You can still find alot of good deals in South Raleigh...Southwest Raleigh is nicer than Southeast, but not as cheap. And that will change soon...both are considered the next "boom area" as North Raleigh and Cary fill up.
RaleighBob, please define "Southwest Raleigh". My opinion is that the area is south of Tryon, west of 401 (western city limits of Garner), and east of Holly Springs Rd (eastern city limits of Apex and Cary). I've heard this area referred to as "Swift Creek" and is an unincorporated area. Is that close?

Old 03-31-2007, 05:36 PM

^You're describing Swift Creek area for the most part.

I think of SouthWest Raleigh as everything below NCSU....the neighborhoods along the corridors of Gorman Street, Jones Franklin, Buck Jones, Avent Ferry, Athens Drive, Lake Wheeler Road, Western Blvd, Lake Dam Rd, Trailwood Dr, Lineberry Dr, Kent Rd, the Farmer's Market area, Lake Johnson and so forth, but also some of the new stuff along Tryon too, since the city limits have indeed stretched to that. But not much further south than that, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary