Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 08:04 AM

8 posts, read 13,023 times

Advertisements

I am interested in thoughts on schools in the Cary area. I have phoned Cary Academy and they are currently full. Does anyone have experience with:

Cary Christian Academy
North Raleigh Christian
Durham Academy
Davis Drive Middle
Green Hope High
Salem Middle - Apex

Any other recommendations? We are hoping to find a school that extends 8th through 12 grade to avoid moving our son again after we relocate. I know the public schools will not offer that opportunity but we are still considering public if they would afford a positive experience.

Our son is an average learner, we want to make sure he does not get lost at a school because he does require extra assistance especially with math.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 08:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
You posted about Prestonwood earlier, and now you've. Asked about mostly private schools plus one public option. (Davis Drive/Green Hope).

Both of those schools are great schools as public schools go.

If you wind up wanting to be able to go that route, look in Preston Village. Tons of kids, has it's own HOA with pool, etc. And plenty of kids.

There are other members here on CD that live there and love it.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 AM

8 posts, read 13,023 times
Thanks, we are heading up there next week to start looking at areas. I received feedback from my prior post indicating that Cary might be the area for us.

I did some research on greatschools, thus the questions about the particular schools. We are not sure if we want to do public or private, but school is very important to us so we are interested in experiences from those in the area. Thanks for your reply, I will check out that neighborhood.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 AM

182 posts, read 386,482 times
I can tell you about Apex public schools including college placement, and I'd guess the Cary public schools you're looking at would be similar. but unless you can get your child into Cary Academy, Ravenscroft or maybe Cardinal Gibbons, the others in Wake Co. won't give your child a comparable college opportunity IMO, if you have an above average student. And even at the top private schools I don't think you'll get any better results while spending a small fortune. Can't speak for Durham.

now, on the other hand, if you have an average student, then any private school may be a better option, but if you have a good student you can get all he can handle in public schools

Old 08-19-2011, 05:55 PM

22 posts, read 59,828 times
We were told at St. Michaels in Cary that they are not set up to accommodate any "special" learning needs. So make sure you ask plenty of questions before you enroll anywhere. Apex Middle staff seemed quite willing to accommodate our child...but there really was very little follow-through. I do hear good things about Cary Christian but have no direct experience.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,547 times
If you decide on private school, Cardinal Gibbons is very good. Their graduates get into some of the top colleges and universities. I don't know about the others.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,270 times
Default Dont mix private and public

Obviously, public schools cant turn you down. Most of cary middle schools are very good, academically, due to high standard of parents education, earning and also due to the high ratio of indian and oriental students. If you really take Asian students out, Cary schools are almost identical to rest of county. Durham Academy is nearly identical to Cary Academy, and hard to get in later grades aswell. We have a couple of kids , friends of our kids' in Durham academy and they like it too.. Soem old money folks issues with Ravenscroft but that is a little bit lower educational standard.

As for private schools, our kid is in Cary Academy and doing great (in 8th grade), yes they get to get in only 3 or 4 new kids once the 6th grade is full. High school opens up several slots.
Trinity academy and Ravenscroft are also good, along with some religious schools like St. Davids.

Ping me and I can help further if you like.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccot View Post
I am interested in thoughts on schools in the Cary area. I have phoned Cary Academy and they are currently full. Does anyone have experience with:

Cary Christian Academy
North Raleigh Christian
Durham Academy
Davis Drive Middle
Green Hope High
Salem Middle - Apex

Any other recommendations? We are hoping to find a school that extends 8th through 12 grade to avoid moving our son again after we relocate. I know the public schools will not offer that opportunity but we are still considering public if they would afford a positive experience.

Our son is an average learner, we want to make sure he does not get lost at a school because he does require extra assistance especially with math.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary