Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 09:49 PM

8 posts, read 23,249 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

My hubbie and I were doing some more talking about moving to Raleigh and while we currently live in a suburb of DC, we'd actually like to live within the city limits.

We are leaning strongly towards Raleigh, we'd like to be on the eastern part of the county, but would consider other cities if the school base is good. We don't mind a 40 minute commute to work (he'd work from home, I'd be near Crabtree Valley) if that helps.

I have been looking at houses in the following subdivisions and would like your opinion on each (listed in no particular order):

Stowecroft
Dutchman's Creek
Edgewater
Landings @ Neuse Crossing
Chastain

As I stated before, we'd like a minimum of 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, 3,000 square feet. We'd prefer 5 bedrooms (or a 'den', study, loft area - as we'd convert one into an office anyway). We'd also like a neighborhood with a lot of families with kids and preferrably community pool/tennis. The yards seem to run small but it's hard to tell how much is 'yard' of the acreage listed compared to how much space the house takes of the acreage (I am NOT a math person!).

We currently live in a 3 bd, 3.5 bath townhouse w/ a full walk-out basement (1 full bath/laundry room/living room in basement) with a wood burning fireplace, end unit w/ fenced yard and deck (189 sq ft)that is 0.05 in acreage, 1480 square feet of living area. We paid almost $340K when we bought it 3 yrs ago. We need more space as our family has grown since we moved in

SO.... we'd like info on the neighborhoods above.

Also, recommendations on home builders? We are considering resales and new construction. It seems that we'd be able to build what we'd like for as much if not less than some of the resales. We'd be willing to spend up to $300K (Although we'd prefer to keep it under $250k).

What do you think of Hovnanian Homes?

Would you (knowing/living in the area) recommend new construction v. resales?

We'd like to be in a neighborhood that is a PUD if possible, we really like that here.

Thanks in advance!!! Our most important factors are schools (we have 3 kids), neighborhood, size per $ spent.

THanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 03:46 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,948,924 times
Stowecroft - Homes looked nice. K. Hovnanian is supposedly getting a better rep in the area as the lowest $ per sq ft out there (base) but you will need to get lots of upgrades. If you drive further down Cardinal Grove you will get to another subdivision that looks like it may not be one of the nicest in the areas (dirty houses, probably no HOA regulating what goes in the yard or if people have to mow at all).

Summerdale - Surrounded by older homes (same idea as Stowecroft) but you get a ton of house for nothing. Jordan and Perry build pretty good houses. Kinda far out depending where you are working (40 min to Davis Drive taking 55 at 7:15am).

Chastain - If it's the one I am thinking of off Rock Quarry Rd then skip over it. The houses are lower because the crime rate is higher in the surrounding area. If they get it cleaned up then yeah it's a good investment.

Landing @ the Neuse - My wife and I liked these houses but do not feel like spending more than 250k since we would rather have a second vacation home and retire early. Come with tons of upgrades and you can get a well upgraded house (3000 sq ft) for about 300k. Of the ones you mentioned I liked these the best with nice floor plans and grand entrances. Only saw models though so the craftsmanship was of course the best the do.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:33 AM

8 posts, read 23,249 times
how about edgewater?

Old 08-06-2007, 12:13 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,948,924 times
Sorry I have never been there

Old 08-06-2007, 03:17 PM

129 posts, read 566,479 times
Some of the subdivisions you listed don't have the best school scores and some known crime issues. This is a link to check the scores for all Wake County.
Go to www.ncreportcards.org
I would recommend to also look towards Wake Forest & Rolesville or further west towards Crabtree.
Many people moving here are also leaning towards Clayton, where there are good schools and more house for your money. New subdivisions all around I-40.
Hope this helps some.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,280 times
i think you should check lennar.. they have a model called the hinton(3,300sq)and it is everything encluded.. just go to [MOD url removed [/mod] and see it for your self.

Last edited by autumngal; 02-29-2008 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 02-29-2008, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,967 times
I think Stowecroft is not bad if you don't have kids in school. I am guessing it would take about an hour or more to commute from there to Crabtree. During the rush hours, traffic in all major roads inside 440 beltline is very bad. My friend has a townhouse at Old Post rd off of Edwards Mills rd and I think it is a nice & quiet neighborhood. It's near Crabtree mall about 10 minutes drive distance but I don't know much about schools around there. I lived in the area about 10 years recently. School system in Cary, Apex, and North Raleigh is the best. There are couple of very nice old tennis/pool community inside 540 belt line off of Falls of Neuse rd, Strickland or Creedmoore rd. There are many tennis/pool community in Cary/Apex area but commute to Crabtree might be a headache. Major Cary/Raleigh rds, Hw64,hw70, US1, I-40 from South to Exit 284 (among them Exit282-298 is the worst. It will take more than 4o minutes to pass these exits between 7:30am - 9:00am, 4:30-6:30pm) are very bad during rush hours. I think you might like newer subdivision off of Hw70 between Ebenezer Church rd and Lynn rd as well but not sure about tennis/pool community.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,458,785 times
With the research you are doing, I think you'll eventually find what you are looking for, ecuggs. The realtors here on the Board are most helpful, too, and willing to make suggestions.

I'd suggest you look in my area, too, here in Carpenter Village. There are a number of single-family homes for sale, and several for rent, even, that would still afford you the luxury of continuing to research the area. Lots of young families and children here, and the schools have good reputations -- Carpenter Elementary, Panther Creek HS. (I know nothing about the middle schools.)

Friendly neighbors, easy access to the green way, public library across the street from the elementary school. I am minutes away from grocery shopping, and most amenities. I can also get into the RTP, Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, as well as Apex and Clayton from where I am in SW Cary.

Some do ask about the proximity to RDU and noise levels, but my husband and I don't hear the planes.

Construction here has been of good quality. Many of the areas builders and developers and sales people live right here, too. They are currently developing other areas, and offering these homes at much higher prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary