Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 01:39 PM

32 posts, read 96,321 times

Advertisements

Can someone recommend a pediatrician in Apex/Cary who is knowledgeable about ADHD? I would like someone that is willing to communicate directly with parents rather than through office staff and automated phone systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:12 PM

932 posts, read 3,098,557 times
We see Dr. Jim Poole at Growing Child Pediatrics. James M. Poole, MD | Growing Child Pediatrics His main office is in Wake Forest and we drive there from Garner. He's completely worth it. He talks to me and my children and LISTENS. It was so hard for me to find someone that would actually listen and respect my opinions and ideas. He's great, plus he has ADHD himself, so he can easily relate to the kids. He's really laid back and my kids love him. We've been going to Growing Child since my oldest was born, 7 years ago. We go to the Clayton office for everything else and use there urgent care at nights an on the weekends. It's much more convenient that the ER. If you don't find someone closer to you, definitely give Dr. Poole a call. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:35 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,677,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
We see Dr. Jim Poole at Growing Child Pediatrics. James M. Poole, MD | Growing Child Pediatrics His main office is in Wake Forest and we drive there from Garner. He's completely worth it. He talks to me and my children and LISTENS. It was so hard for me to find someone that would actually listen and respect my opinions and ideas. He's great, plus he has ADHD himself, so he can easily relate to the kids. He's really laid back and my kids love him. We've been going to Growing Child since my oldest was born, 7 years ago. We go to the Clayton office for everything else and use there urgent care at nights an on the weekends. It's much more convenient that the ER. If you don't find someone closer to you, definitely give Dr. Poole a call. Good luck!

my kids have gone to him since birth (oldest is almost 13 now!) back when he and his dad were in raleigh and only had one office actually, i like all the docs there

Old 11-29-2017, 02:21 PM

663 posts, read 1,620,328 times
Default ADHD Toddler help? Where to start to seek help?

Bumping an old thread. We have a 3.5 year old boy, he goes to daycare & a a sweet kid.

While we aren't sure, he seems distracted quite a bit at times. Occasionally is afraid of the clock ticking sound or the cell phone restarting music etc. Also seems to get over excited with Christmas lights etc. It's not alarming symptoms, but has us somewhat concerned.

Where do we start to seek help or get a diagnosis? What are the different avenues / types of professionals?

(Someplace that's genuine and not merely interested in billing the me/my insurance the maximum they can)

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:52 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
Sounds a little like some sensory issues too. Someone has mentioned in the past that Duke has a child study center. Looks like this might be it - https://www.dukehealth.org/locations...y-study-center

Best of luck in learning how to best help your son. I was in your shoes 17 years ago and now mine is studying engineering at university.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:15 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,587,288 times
Oberlin road pediatrics are great. The building is dated but the doctors are all phenomenal and great to work with. They also have weekend and evening hours and morning walk in visits which has saved us from several urgent care / ER trips.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:21 PM

96 posts, read 84,131 times
if you are looking to get a diagnosis there is a great place where my siblings have all gone to. It is Cary Psychiatry! http://http://carypsychiatrycenter.com/our-providers/ Jennifer Hiemenz works there and she is awesome! She diagnosed my sister with ADHD and my brother with a learning disability. 919-473-6451 is her number!

Old 11-29-2017, 09:38 PM
ERH

1,701 posts, read 2,533,158 times
In addition to finding the right pediatrician, I recommend you contact Project Enlightenment. They were a HUGE difference maker for my family and my youngest son, now 17. We had been attempting to home-school him (as we were doing with our older son), but it became pretty clear very quickly that we were well out of our depth in dealing with his issues. Our "spirited child" was out of control, impulsive, paid no heed to ANY kind of punishment, prone to tantrums when he didn't get what he wanted, had sensory issues, and, worst of all, was violent towards me, his dad, and his brother. I had many sleepless nights thinking I was literally raising a serial killer.

It was like he was stuck in the terrible twos. One of our biggest issues (and instigators for his violent outbursts) was when we transitioned him from one environment to another. For instance, on a day filled with errands with a "normal" child, we might plan to stop a few places, then hit McD for lunch, then plan to finish our errands and go home. Our guy would tolerate the early errands as long as they were quick, in-and-out stops, but once at McD (or the train table at Barnes & Noble), it wouldn't matter if he played 10 minutes or 2 hours, we would have to drag him out of there kicking and screaming.

Our wonderful pediatrician referred us to PE, and they were a godsend. He was 3 or 4 when we started the process. PE helped us in the short term by teaching us alternative ways of coping with these outbursts and other issues. Looking back, it was very similar to a weekly therapy session; the coordinator would spend time alone with Josh, then with the rest of us as a family.

Over the long term, PE arranged for comprehensive psychological assessment through WCPSS, which revealed that he was developmentally behind by 18 months, almost completely non-verbal (something we'd erroneously attributed to him being the 2nd child), and "probably" on the autism spectrum. They arranged for him to attend a pre-K program part-time, with them transporting him back and forth. Initially, he was in a class with a broad range of special needs children, but he was bumped up to a mainstream pre-K class about 6 weeks later. Once he was in the WCPSS system, he had a formal IEP with multiple interventions until he aged out at 7. These initial years were wonderful; he received a lot of one-on-one attention with the therapists, including speech therapy, occupational therapy, and reading assistance. At age 7, he had met all the milestones of his plan, so they didn't continue his IEP; however, he did continue to receive interventions throughout elementary and middle school.

Despite having met his milestones, he continued to demonstrate behaviors consistent with ADD-inattentive type. Our pediatrician prescribed Adderall, but my son refused to take it. We tried getting him to take it with applesauce, pudding, ice cream, etc., but he just wouldn't do it. The violent outbursts were a direct consequence of trying to force him to take it, so in the end we gave up on that front and tried managing it in other ways, always advocating for him with his teachers and school staff so the interventions continued.

Ultimately, we had to wait for him to mature enough to participate in the process of treatment, and willingly try the meds. One of the best days of my life was when he came to me after starting the Adderall again and admitted it was making a difference and he liked what the drug was doing for him. Halla-freakin-lujah!

Truly, the best thing you can do is call Project Enlightenment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary