Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 PM

50 posts, read 260,085 times

Advertisements

Warning, this may come off as a bit of a rant, but there's a genuine curiosity behind my irritation: what is it about this area that is apparently conducive to horrible drivers?

I've lived here almost a year now. here are my observations:

Running red lights is routine. I'm at the point now where if I'm the first one waiting at a red light, I look both ways when the light turns green because I now expect for someone to blow through when theirs turns red.

Turn signals are rarely used. This applies to just about any situation, changing lanes on the freeway, turning in traffic, stopped to make a left, etc. It's a safety issue and a courtesy issue, too. Like if a car is waiting to make a right into the lane you're currently in -- and you're going to be making a right down the street where that car's coming out of -- you put on your signal to let 'em know, hey buddy I'm turning, so go ahead...but no. not here.

Making a right on red into oncoming traffic is the norm. I've witnessed this twice in the past 2 days alone. Just because it's legal doesn't mean you do it when cars are streaming through an intersection... it's like a stop sign people. you can only go when there aren't cars coming at you at 40 mph.

So I've been witnessing this stuff since I moved here but just today I saw someone make a left on red and I said to myself, I gotta ask. what is it that makes the drivers here soooo bad? Is it just me that feels this way?

And before you jump all over me, I moved here from Mass., and I learned to drive in Boston. Let me tell you something: Boston drivers are 10 times better than the drivers here. Are they aggressive, sure, but there is a set of unwritten rules that Boston drivers follow and it works. I rarely saw accidents back there, here I see accidents all the time. Drivers are aggressive there, but predictable. Here they're aggressive and totally unpredictable, a bad combo.

Finally let me just say that I really like it here, the people are friendly and I don't want to move back to Mass. This isn't meant to be a "my home is so much better than the triangle" rant, it's a genuine curiosity.

thanks y'all. drive safe.

Last edited by hda4; 05-05-2011 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:09 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Yes, people now drive stupid here just like they drove in New Orleans when we left 21 years ago.

Now, NYC drivers were aggressive but, as the ex-Boston resident said, knew what they were doing. Not so here.

What especially peeves me is when lowlives come upon you backing halfway out of a parking spot. Instead of waiting for you, they lay on the horn and bull their way by.

When I stop to let someone back out, they are amazed and then wave thanks.

Where are these arrogant lowlives coming from? Why do they want to ruin our state? Can't we block them at the state line?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:47 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
I think the best solution for these careless and reckless drivers is concentrate on using the best defensive driving skills you can. I hope something will be done sooner rather than later about the use of cell phones while driving. I believe they are becoming lethal in the wrong hands.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:06 PM

226 posts, read 506,957 times
I gotta say the lack of turn signals here is a major irritant.

But I think the thing I hate the most is when I have a safe distance between me and the car ahead, say a car length or more, and some asshat cuts into that space. Now I'm far closer to the new car ahead of me than I find comfortable and have to slow down. This happens so often as to be ridiculous.

Frankly I think that's what half the tailgating is about. People don't want other cars cutting in ahead of them.

Another thing that irks me is when lanes are blocked due to an accident and multiple lanes have to merge to keep traffic moving. It's freaking obvious there's a problem up ahead and you need to merge, but instead of doing it safely, people whizz by in the other lane and then cut in at the last possible minute, expecting all the cars that have waited patiently to let them in. Not just with accidents, but also on entrance ramps where traffic is backed up. There's room behind you, but cards will fly past anyway and then try to cut in again at the last possible moment. Where's the fire???

A friend of mine says that cars should be equipped with little guns on the bumpers that shoot those suction-cup type arrows with big yellow "*******" flags on them. When someone pisses you off on the road, you shoot them with an ******* flag and once a car accumulates enough flags, the cops have to ticket them. The flags can only be removed with special equipment from law enforcement.

Crazy idea, never happen of course, but hilarious to think about. There'd be a lot of yellow flaggies waving around!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 PM

79 posts, read 142,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hda4 View Post
Running red lights is routine. I'm at the point now where if I'm the first one waiting at a red light, I look both ways when the light turns green because I now expect for someone to blow through when theirs turns red.
I was just thinking about this tonight as I drove home after a relaxing round of disc golf. Maybe it was my good mood that got me thinking about it, but I was wondering what the damn hurry could be for all the people running red lights on my way back home! Especially on a beautiful night like tonight, why wouldn't you just roll down the window and take it easy? I absolutely wait a second and look both ways when a light turns green here, because you really do expect someone to come through the red the other way.

I hate to say it (because I'd really like this to change), but I'd advise new people to the area to keep going when you first see the light turn yellow. If you're moving at a decent pace and stop at the first sign of yellow, you may just get rear-ended, as the people behind you are likely hitting the gas to get through! Sometimes I make a game of it if I'm stopped at a red light watching cars turn on the arrow. "How many cars will blow through this yellow-turning-red light?" The smart bet is at least one car going through when the light has turned fully red, if not 2... or more.

I hate to say it again, but I generally blame my fellow transplants. I can't imagine the typically laid back and thoughtful native NC'ers are driving like that. I hope more new people to the area will try to adapt to the relaxed vibe of the area, rather than drag along the "RUSH RUSH RUSH" attitude so many of us came here to get away from!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussakka View Post
But I think the thing I hate the most is when I have a safe distance between me and the car ahead, say a car length or more, and some asshat cuts into that space. Now I'm far closer to the new car ahead of me than I find comfortable and have to slow down. This happens so often as to be ridiculous.

Frankly I think that's what half the tailgating is about. People don't want other cars cutting in ahead of them.
I'm with you on this. And 9 times out of 10 when it happens, there isn't a car behind me for a mile.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
You forgot stop signs. Here, people see stop signs as optional. They sail right through if they THINK no one is heading their way. If someone is passing by, they just tap their breaks and go through the sign.

Where I come from, lots of people get lots of tickets for "rolling stops" -- which is what everyone does here. Law enforcement could make a killing if they just went after the stop sign ignorers.

Part of the problem here is that there is a HUGE part of the population that does not licenses. They never got them, lost them, or they are undocumented workers.

About 43,000 people die on the roads in the U.S. every year. No one takes it seriously. Yet when the Vietnam War was going on, everyone protested, wrote letters, etc. During the ENTIRE Vietnam War, about 52,000 people died -- and that was over several years.

That's never made any sense to me. Everyone just accepts bad driving and deaths caused by bad drivers as if nothing can ever be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hda4 View Post
Warning, this may come off as a bit of a rant, but there's a genuine curiosity behind my irritation: what is it about this area that is apparently conducive to horrible drivers?

I've lived here almost a year now. here are my observations:

Turn signals are rarely used. This applies to just about any situation, changing lanes on the freeway, turning in traffic, stopped to make a left, etc. It's a safety issue and a courtesy issue, too. Like if a car is waiting to make a right into the lane you're currently in -- and you're going to be making a right down the street where that car's coming out of -- you put on your signal to let 'em know, hey buddy I'm turning, so go ahead...but no. not here.

Making a right on red into oncoming traffic is the norm. I've witnessed this twice in the past 2 days alone. Just because it's legal doesn't mean you do it when cars are streaming through an intersection... it's like a stop sign people. you can only go when there aren't cars coming at you at 40 mph.

So I've been witnessing this stuff since I moved here but just today I saw someone make a left on red and I said to myself, I gotta ask. what is it that makes the drivers here soooo bad? Is it just me that feels this way?

And before you jump all over me, I moved here from Mass., and I learned to drive in Boston. Let me tell you something: Boston drivers are 10 times better than the drivers here. Are they aggressive, sure, but there is a set of unwritten rules that Boston drivers follow and it works. I rarely saw accidents back there, here I see accidents all the time. Drivers are aggressive there, but predictable. Here they're aggressive and totally unpredictable, a bad combo.

Finally let me just say that I really like it here, the people are friendly and I don't want to move back to Mass. This isn't meant to be a "my home is so much better than the triangle" rant, it's a genuine curiosity.

thanks y'all. drive safe.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 AM

280 posts, read 741,227 times
I almost collided with an idiot on Morrisville Carpenter Road this morning. He was making a left from one of the neighborhoods. There were no cars after mine but that guy had to risk his life and ours because he couldnt wait for 20 seconds for me to pass. I was driving at speed limit and he came out of nowhere. Had to brake hard and if there was another car behind me I would have been rearended for sure. I dont understand their thinking is saving 1 min worth taking the life of someone or injuring someone ?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussakka View Post
Another thing that irks me is when lanes are blocked due to an accident and multiple lanes have to merge to keep traffic moving. It's freaking obvious there's a problem up ahead and you need to merge, but instead of doing it safely, people whizz by in the other lane and then cut in at the last possible minute, expecting all the cars that have waited patiently to let them in.
In the case of a lane reduction, a zipper merge at the point of the reduction is the proper recommended driving technique when in congested traffic. All lanes should be used up to the point of the merge. Getting over early just extends the length of the backup.

In light traffic, you can merge early where there is space to keep traffic flowing freely.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 AM

28 posts, read 62,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
I'm with you on this. And 9 times out of 10 when it happens, there isn't a car behind me for a mile.
I fully agree with this point, it's just bloody dangerous. I've seen this thread for a while now and never commented. But I am truly amazing at the state of the driving round here. I am from the UK, but have lived and driven all over. I spent many years in europe which does have a reputation for some pretty bad, agressive driving, but as someone else said it's ok if it's predictable, you can at least be somewhat prepared.

But here it seems to be aggressive, dangerous, and just damn unpredictable. And apart from the issue of people cutting into my safety zone space, the single most annoying and dangerous aspect is the whole undertaking issue, which is fueled by many people having no idea of lane etiquette.

I mean seriously is it that hard? I recently moved here and therefore had to take the test, in the book it states about lanes and which ones are for which. If you're going slower than the other lanes you should be in the outermost one, is it that hard?

There's enough dangerous thing out there trying to end our lives, but really is my daily commute one of them, I really hope not. Don't see how things are going to change, but hope is eternal right?

Thanks for listening to my rant, back to work now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary