Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:02 AM

128 posts, read 290,345 times

Advertisements

We're arriving in NC on Monday, coming from upstate NY. I just had the dog's final vet visit so she's all up to date on things, but the vet recommended that I ask a couple of questions of NC and CH dog owners, so here goes:

1) when do you give heartworm preventative medication? Here, it's only used April-Oct because there aren't any mosquitoes at other times, but I understand that it's a longer season in NC.

2) What about flea treatments? It's cold enough up here that we only dose the dog March-Nov. Is it a year-round issue in NC?

3) does CHapel Hill have a dog licensing requirement?

4) what are the requirements for rabies vaccinations in Chapel Hill? Here, it's 2 shots a year apart then a booster every three years. The vet said that some municipalities require a shot a year.

and finally: are there any other parasites that dog owners should be aware of? any regular treatments other than flea and heartworm?

Many thanks for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 AM

533 posts, read 1,198,810 times
Not a parasite, but you will have to look out for ticks in the summer months - so I'd definitely recommend and flea and tick preventative. We had a long-haired dog, and he did occassionally bring ticks indoors. IYou should also do heartworm preventative year round.

Welcome!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
You'll find some information here on licensing and vaccinations:

OC Animal Services - Home Page

For fleas, we follow about the same schedule as you - not necessary in the colder winter months.

Heartworm I don't recall - seems like we do that year round, but my wife handles the dosing so I'm not a reliable source on that.

We use an insecticide in our yard in warmer months to help keep bugs off our dogs, but otherwise there's nothing we're specifically targeting.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 AM

809 posts, read 2,187,927 times
Here is a link to Orange County's Animal Ordinances.

OC Animal Services - Home Page

I give heart worm preventative faithfully year round. It's not worth the risk to do otherwise, imo, no matter where one lives.

I do flea prevention year round. Fleas do not take vacation.

I do a yearly rabies shot for two years if it's a pup. One at four months, one a year later and then 1 every three years after that. You might peruse the link to find out what the ordinances are. For my adult dog, I still did the one/one/three because I wasn't convinced the dog had been properly vaccinated when I got him.

Last edited by second right; 01-26-2011 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Added/removed/changed/loopy

Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,137 times
Yes! Frontline all year long is essential. I skipped Jan and Feb one year thinking the same thing (too cold for fleas) and my cat still got them. It cost way more to kill the fleas rather than just preventing them. Now my dog and cat get frontline year round. Also, do heartworm preventative all year long...plus there are dewormers in them. I do check my dog for worms every 6 months because hookworm is down here especially if you take your dog to the beach. I deworm him after boarding just in case (most boarding facilities don't make sure the dogs are worm free). I think rabies is year round.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
We give heartworm pills monthly. Fleas can be hideous one year and no problem at all the next; supposedly it depends in part on how cold the winter was. We generally have no flea problems from October to May or so, and my two dogs go outside several times a day in a backyard full of pine straw.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,383 times
I give both heartworm preventatives and flea treatments year round.

One of my current dogs came from the shelter at age 8 with heartworms-- the prior family learned she had them and decided to give her up instead of paying to treat her. After seeing how hard the treatment was on her, I don't want to take any chances.

I actually find fleas to be more abundant in the late fall/early winter months because any flea your pet comes in contact with will want to colonize your pet immediately. It's too cold outside for the fleas to live, so any source of warmth will attract them. I tried to skip Frontline for Jan, Feb, and Mar my first year here, but I now do it year round.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:51 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
heartworm and flea/tick meds year round

i think rabies is every 3 years? check with a local vet. i know they have one at 1 year, and then it goers to 2 or 3 if i am remembering right.

call the town of CH for licensing laws (if any)

Old 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM

98 posts, read 231,752 times
It depends on where you live, yes heart worm monthly, but in 5 years (and two different houses in Cary), we've not needed flea or tick medication. I know it's a wide spread problem, but we've been lucky.

We've maybe picked 3 ticks off the dogs in 5 years and that's not worth it to me to expose them to chemicals. I've had two on me in that same period of time.

Fleas I would treat, but there have never been any to treat.

It would also be more needed if your dogs are outside most of the day vs inside.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
well we have more problems with ticks than fleas but our lot is next to a major deer trail and they are in our yard all the time.

Elizabeth be warned your kids will probably turn up with ticks as well. Don't panic- just read up on the best way to get them off, what NOT to do and instruct your kids to tell you the minute they might see something tiny crawling on them. Ticks come in different sizes and colors but they are all evil.

We do a body check at least every night in warm months. Ticks love tight places like under collars, waist bands, socks, etc. NC is a very buggy place but we all learn to cope. There have been threads about insects in N.C. so check the archives.

I know you are very busy getting ready for the move. Hope all goes well and check in to let us know what else we can help you with. CD groups here is very helpful.....if not a little weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary