Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:16 PM

823 posts, read 3,936,570 times

Advertisements

mm1234,
Thanks for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 01:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,263,888 times
I'm sure the private schools can be great, but so can many of the public facilities.

Dr. Del Burns is the superintendant at WCPSS, and I know him personally from him being principal at 2 schools my son attended. He does care about the kids and is trying to do his best with the influx dumped on his head.

Even some of the less esteemed public schools have homors classes where the "good" kids do well for themselves.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 AM

144 posts, read 498,734 times
Hmm...I dont think this will fly in northeast areas. Is this even leagel?. I thought if you spank a child, parent or otherwise, you will get arrested and that the child be placed in a protective care environment immediately.
Unbeleivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
I found that comment about RCA rather disturbing so I investigated and found this in the elementary handbook on the RCA website,

"PHILOSOPHY OF DISCIPLINE
Discipline is a balance of love and control. Discipline and order are necessary to the
Christian, traditional educational process. Our faculty strives to provide love and special
attention to each individual student. A subject can be taught without classroom
discipline, but a subject is less likely to be learned under such conditions.
It is our philosophy that if a teacher is to be respected by his students, the teacher must
have the authority to handle matters of discipline. We do not believe that God’s Word
gives the church (including our school as a ministry) the authority for physical discipline
of children. That authority belongs to the parents.
DISCIPLINE SYSTEM
It is the policy of this school to notify parents whenever corporal discipline is necessary.
It is our philosophy that if a teacher is to be respected by his students, he must have the
authority to handle matters of discipline. We do not believe that God’s Word gives the
church (including our school as a ministry) the authority for physical discipline of
children. That authority belongs in the hands of the parents. Therefore, when it is
determined that a paddling is in order for misbehavior, a parent will be called to come in
and administer the paddling within 60 minutes of the phone call. If the parent does not
come in, the student will be suspended from school until a parent does come in and
resolve the problem.
There are four reasons we will require parents to come in to paddle their child for the first
occurrence. They are as follows:
1. Fighting with another student.
2. Willfully being disrespectful, defiant, or continually disobedient to a teacher.
3. Willfully being destructive of the church’s property or another child’s property.
4. Cursing or using language in such a way that it is offcolor
or suggestive.
In the event that a parent is needed for a second discipline occurrence within the same
day, the administration reserves the right to take whatever disciplinary action they deem
necessary.
In K5
through 5th grade all discipline problems will be handled as follows:
1. All paddlings will be administered by parents.
2. A witness will be present if requested.
3. All paddlings will take place in the privacy of an office or secluded area—not in
the classrooms, hallways, or restrooms."

I certainly wouldn't want my child there but they do have their policy laid out for parents of prospective parents. (Parents be warned: read the handbook of any school before signing up!)

Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 AM

107 posts, read 482,107 times
Raleigh Latin School, though rather new, has students getting into good colleges. I think it is about $8K/ year, but no financial aid to my knowledge. Raleigh Latin School - Grades 6 - 12, Classic Education - Raleigh, North Carolina

Old 02-16-2008, 11:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,263,888 times
Wow! I'm glad our kids went to WCPSS.

Both got a great background for college, and I got to use the schools my taxes support.

Where do people come up with this kind of money?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:53 PM

108 posts, read 495,853 times
Default Financial Aid is Available

Don't let the prices of some great schools scare you. For families who genuinely can't afford the price of a private school, fanancial aid is available. Ravenscroft provides a lot of help to many deserving families.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 PM

413 posts, read 1,260,450 times
Just fyi--"PHILOSOPHY OF DISCIPLINE is not limited to RCA. Cresset Christian Academy in Durham does (or at least DID) this too. Only difference is that the administration does the paddling, and they call and tell you about it, or you can insist that you administer the discipline. Problem is if you disagree with the school for the reason. In any case, that's why we pulled our child out. I don't think Christ would have paddled anyone!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 PM

94 posts, read 434,800 times
My kids both have gone to Catholic Schools, one is already in college, the other is in elementary school. I went to Catholic Schools all my life. I never have seen such a policy! That completely scares me!

Old 11-12-2008, 02:37 PM

14 posts, read 38,288 times
Most private schools in this area offer financial aid - we enjoyed substantial support for our two kids and are only just now in the income range that will disqualify us. We did get hefty support even when our joint income was around 75-90k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary