Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,050 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are leaving this Saturday to scope out Raleigh and suburbs. We currently live in beautiful Boulder County, Colorado but are thinking that we might want to capitalize on the crazy hot real estate market in order to help fund college for our 12 year old. I love Colorado but also would love being a days drive from family in PA and FL. Plus, Raleigh looks to be an interesting and pretty place for us all to explore.

We are prepared to love NC for its own unique self (one of the joys of moving and "learning" a new area) but we realize that navigating the school system will be different. I'm excited to hear that Wake County has a wonderful reputation but we are accustomed to open enrollment (which of course has its pluses and minuses). Even within that system we have only experienced a small Montessori Charter school. So you might imagine that I'm a bit out of my comfort zone! Especially thinking that our daughter will go from a school that has 250 families (pre-k -8th) to a very large middle school and even bigger high schools.

Any advice or insight is welcome! Are there any fairly inexpensive private school options? 20 grand won't work for us -- that will negate the college fund endeavor but we might be able to buy a less expensive house and fund 7th and 8th grade in a less expensive private school. That would give us time to explore charter/magnet options (although the lotteries seem daunting) and also give her experience with a little bit bigger setting and more traditional approach. We have been very happy with her Montessori experience-- it has helped her develop into a strong and avid learner, but she is excited for a different setting and opportunities.

Thanks again -- hope all are well and happy and if you can throw in one non-rainy day next week we would be much obliged -- but only one -- we are super psyched to use our brand spanking new rain coats!
-Cheers,
Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 07:22 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,333,125 times
Not really my business, but if you love Colorado, I don't understand why you would pick up and move your family just to cash out on a home that may very well become even more of a cash cow in the years to come.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,050 times
Well, I guess there are a few good reasons, but namely, we would love to enjoy another beautiful area of our country. We’ve lived in Colorado for eight years and all feel ready for a new experience.

Last edited by wethree; 05-23-2018 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-23-2018, 11:27 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,413,263 times
After you have visited, let us know what you think.

I doubt you'll NEED private schools here, but there are plenty around if you want to spend private school money.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:16 AM

43,534 posts, read 77,582,430 times
$20,000 isn't necessary. I don't have kids, so no personal experience with any of these schools.

https://hopewellacademy.org/about/
https://hopewellacademy.org/tuition-fees/

https://www.thalesacademy.org/
https://www.thalesacademy.org/admiss...on-information

Heartwood Montessori School serving Cary, Apex, Morrisville and Raleigh in North Carolina
Tuition | Heartwood Montessori School

Old 05-24-2018, 07:16 AM

22,751 posts, read 37,026,000 times
Real estate market is pretty hot here too....how much were you thinking of spending once you get here? That will definitely impact our recommendations.

Are you ok with religious schools are strictly secular? One thing that is NOT cheaper here is private schooling.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,433,730 times
Skip the private school. It's the same cost as college tuition. You'll not be saving any money for college doing that.

Consider Chapel Hill, also. I believe the schools are a little smaller. She'll probably do fine in a regular sized public school, though.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:53 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,602,912 times
If you can try to set up a tour or two of schools when you make that decision. We considered both options and have been happy with public schools in wake county so far. I would also want to have my child live near other kids they go to school with so she can make friends more easily.

That said Ravenscroft and St. david’s will be out of your budget. Not sure about Montessori school or Raleigh or cardinal gibbons. What part of the triangle are you thinking you will want to live? Where would potential jobs be? What kinds of things do you enjoy in your free time?

Old 05-24-2018, 05:05 PM

15 posts, read 13,774 times
I'm a Wake County native and I attended public school...like all schools they have their good and bad.

My daughter is 10 and has attended private Christian school (PreK-2nd; too small only 8 students in her grade), Magnet/Public School(3rd&4th) and she just got accepted into a new Charter School.

If we went back to private it would probably be Thales Academy https://www.thalesacademy.org/ They are very reasonable priced and have a great program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary