Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,337,286 times

Advertisements

What do you think about this? Would this happen in Wake or Durham schools?

Clayton teen: Nose ring more than fashion, it's faith :: WRAL.com (http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/story/8298842/ - broken link)

The whole religion aspect aside, I didn't realize kids couldn't wear nose rings to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:01 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,152,307 times
My daughter has a tiny nose stud and no one at her Wake County high school has ever said a thing to her about it.
I really think the school is going overboard, especially knowing that several well established, world religions do practice nose piercing. Don't they have more important things to worry about?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,303,849 times
If you read Wake County's Public School's "dress code", I think it mentions no face piercings are allowed. I'm not sure how far they go in enforcing this.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-25-2010 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,055,366 times
I support the school. They're in charge, and if they want to ban facial piercings, then that's fine with me. When you're 18 and no longer go to public school, then you can jam as many needles into your face as you want to.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 AM

The hole is so tiny, you really can't see it at all when it's removed.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 AM

I don't see it addressed in Wake's dress code.

A. Inappropriate Dress - Principals shall exercise appropriate discretion in implementing this policy, including making reasonable accommodations on the basis of students’ religious beliefs or medical conditions. Students are expected to adhere to standards of dress and appearance that are compatible with an effective learning environment. Presenting a bodily appearance or wearing clothing which is disruptive, provocative, revealing, profane, vulgar, offensive or obscene, or which endangers the health or safety of the student or others is prohibited. Examples of prohibited dress or appearance include, but are not limited to exposed undergarments; sagging pants; excessively short or tight garments; bare midriff shirts; strapless shirts; attire with messages or illustrations that are lewd, indecent or vulgar or that advertise any product or service not permitted by law to minors; head covering of any kind; see-through clothing; attire that exposes cleavage; any adornment such as chains or spikes that reasonably could be perceived as or used as a weapon; and any symbols, styles or attire frequently associated with intimidation, violence or violent groups about which students at a particular school have been notified. Individual schools are free to specify additional examples of dress or appearance that are prohibited at that school under the terms of this policy.
If a student’s dress or appearance is such that it constitutes a threat to the health or safety of others, distracts the attention of other students or staff from their work, or otherwise violates this dress code, the principal or principal’s designee may require the student to change his or her dress or appearance. A second or repeated violation of this policy may result in disciplinary action.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM

It was something that was in Sanderson High School's handbook:

"The following are examples of inappropriate attire. The list is not conclusive: Garments that are see-through, expose underwear, bras, or show cleavage Sagging pants (low riders) Boxer shorts as outerwear Oversized clothing; too long or too large, including belts Excessively slit, tight, or short garments Tank tops with large underarm openings Clothing that permits the stomach, back, or upper or lower buttocks area to be exposed when standing, bending, sitting, kneeling, or stretching or shirts/halters with bare midriffs, “spaghetti” or no straps Garments with messages or illustrations that are lewd, indecent, vulgar, or advertise any product not permitted by law to minors Clothes or items with language/symbols associated with gangs, intimidation, violence, or violent groups Clothing or items worn in a manner not intended by design, manufacture, or original purpose. Any adornment such as chains, spikes, dog collars, hanging from neck, belt loops, pockets or clothing or items that tend to distract students from their academic responsibilities Head coverings of any kind, such as hats, do-rags, bandanas, headbands, or sunglasses Bedroom shoes or slippers, shoes with wheels"

I'm not saying that a nose ring is banned but I did read something about facial piercings.

Maybe it was wishful thinking on my part?!!

Vicki

Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 AM

I don't know...I still don't see any mention of it. Or am I missing it?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 AM

521 posts, read 1,600,558 times
The "Church of Body Modification"??

Awesome -- invent a church to enshrine your fringe/questionable/illegal activity, then assemble a history of ancient rites and beliefs to support it.

Instant ACLU representation!!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-25-2010 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 AM

In the above, there is something about "adornment" and "distracting students". But, It seems that I got something directly from Sanderson mentioning nose rings. I'll have to ask daughter about it when she comes home and get back to you.

If no one at her school has mentioned it, and it is small, shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-25-2010 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary