Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 02:46 PM

31,687 posts, read 41,086,927 times

Advertisements

The best thing to do is to be competent. In this regard that begins with the state having general guidelines and the local BOE having some specific parameters for schools to write, distribute and articulate guidelines before hand. When this first began I said the school district had was in trouble because it had gone national and the big boys were going against them. Cardinal rule of school policy is to not be arbitrary and capricious. The easiest way to win against a school is to demonstrate they were. In the absence of policy in something as basic as this how hard is it to prove their behavior was arbitrary and capricious. It is easiest for a district to defend a discipline decision when it is based on articulated approved policy that is in rooted precedence and previously supported court decisions. Does Johnston County have this? If not it is their own dog gone fault as neighboring counties have gotten that sophisticated as have most districts in the country. I still don't believe they don't have one. Gotta be there somewhere. How else can you claim to have given someone due process?

Last edited by TuborgP; 10-23-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Following is the dress code from Cuthbertson High School in Union County.

Dress Code

What do they say about

nose rings?

ear rings?

Do they say anything about either?

Can someone articulate the difference between nose and ear rings in disrupting school?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-24-2010 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text

Old 10-24-2010, 03:50 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,272,103 times
Maybe Johnston County can change their rules to say "One facial piercing per student".

If you have seen what some of these teenagers do to their body, today, you'd understand WHY the school must have such rules. It is like the students must try to out-do each other and make themselves look like freaks. And that freakyness is what disrupts others. And that is why I'm glad my 4th and last child is a senior! I believe we (as a society) and the schools are not strict enough.

Vicki

Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Maybe Johnston County can change their rules to say "One facial piercing per student".

If you have seen what some of these teenagers do to their body, today, you'd understand WHY the school must have such rules. It is like the students must try to out-do each other and make themselves look like freaks. And that freakyness is what disrupts others. And that is why I'm glad my 4th and last child is a senior! I believe we (as a society) and the schools are not strict enough.

Vicki
Does that mean a girl has to chose left ear or right ear? How many nose rings did the girl in question have? Vicki I understand your point but translating that into policy that will be sustained under challenge is difficult.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 AM

131 posts, read 446,362 times
Well guess there's much more courtroom drama to come. My friend is a Johnston County teacher, and she transferred to the new Corinth-Holders High this year. She claims Corinth is run almost like a military 'boot camp' compared to Clayton High and other schools she's worked for. For example, there is a "6-inch rule" at Corinth Holders that is strictly enforced: Students cannot stand closer than six inches to each other at all times (this applies to ALL students, not just 'couples'). She said absolutely NO facial piercings are allowed there. These rules about body piercings were made for a reason: Even as adults, we can't understand the gang culture. But one look around should be a wake-up call. I don't understand it, but I still respect the power of it, especially since so many of our young people's lives are being destroyed via gang affiliation - (including those innocents: Victims & their extended family members, etc.).

She said the students with facial piercings have gotten little clear plastic "plugs" to stick in their piercings in order to comply with the rules - and that they are almost invisible - not distracting like facial piercings. So some students have found a solution to this. She asked some of the students about it, and no school "inventory" has ever been given to students or parents (either before school or to this day) to see if any of those students have piercings for religious purposes.

So does this mean that Corinth Holders is now violating constitutional rights? I'm sure now that this precident is set, more kids who attend Corinth Holders will shortly "join the 'church'" lol.

Corinth has created very strict rules for conduct and dress due to: Substantiated 'real-life' GANG activity occurring in OUR community - whether kids and/or grown ups who don't have problems with facial/body piercings believe it or not. This is why so many strict rules are being made in the first place (including the banning of facial piercings, which can also be linked to gang membership: just google it - here's one (out of many) articles that substantiates gang membership that is identified by body piercings (no I'm not making it up): http://www.hopefs.org/Behavior/thefightagainstgangs.html (broken link)).

This is first-hand information provided from the administration: The merging of two areas (Clayton and Smithfield-Selma) that are known to be a 'hot-bed' for rival gangs. Yes, Gangs are also at Clayton High - alive and well (and increasing), people. Therefore, these blanket rules are being instituted for the SAFETY of ALL of our children, even if some people don't want to see it, understand it, or abide by rules designed for this purpose.

The bigger picture: I don't want the safety of my children being ultimately compromised because of some spoiled brat who can't get a plastic plug like everyone else. The disintegration of policy starts with stuff just like this. So let's ban ALL piercings, all jewlery, who cares???? Let's get the kids uniforms while we're at it - so what???? If it keeps ONE kid alive, them I'm all for it!!! I'd rather have my kids safe than in the middle of some gang war or "religious" battle that may inadvertently place them in danger, even if it's being in class with someone wearing the wrong 'colors' or piercings. Remember: MANY innocent victims have died as a result of gang violence whether directly or indirectly. School administrations don't have time or money for this mess - remember: My kids can't take their textbooks home because of lack of school district money....so you know no one has time or funding for some stupid court battle over this foolishness. Buy some books instead!!

Hopefully this will become law: Suck it up and plug it up. :-)

Last edited by bleighorr; 10-27-2010 at 09:36 AM..

Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleighorr View Post
Well guess there's much more courtroom drama to come. My friend is a Johnston County teacher, and she transferred to the new Corinth-Holders High this year. She claims Corinth is run almost like a military 'boot camp' compared to Clayton High and other schools she's worked for. For example, there is a "6-inch rule" at Corinth Holders that is strictly enforced: Students cannot stand closer than six inches to each other at all times (this applies to ALL students, not just 'couples'). She said absolutely NO facial piercings are allowed there. These rules about body piercings were made for a reason: Even as adults, we can't understand the gang culture. But one look around should be a wake-up call. I don't understand it, but I still respect the power of it, especially since so many of our young people's lives are being destroyed via gang affiliation - (including those innocents: Victims & their extended family members, etc.).

She said the students with facial piercings have gotten little clear plastic "plugs" to stick in their piercings in order to comply with the rules - and that they are almost invisible - not distracting like facial piercings. So some students have found a solution to this. She asked some of the students about it, and no school "inventory" has ever been given to students or parents (either before school or to this day) to see if any of those students have piercings for religious purposes.

So does this mean that Corinth Holders is now violating constitutional rights? I'm sure now that this precident is set, more kids who attend Corinth Holders will shortly "join the 'church'" lol.

Corinth has created very strict rules for conduct and dress due to: Substantiated 'real-life' GANG activity occurring in OUR community - whether kids and/or grown ups who don't have problems with facial/body piercings believe it or not. This is why so many strict rules are being made in the first place (including the banning of facial piercings, which can also be linked to gang membership: just google it - here's one (out of many) articles that substantiates gang membership that is identified by body piercings (no I'm not making it up): The Fight Against Gangs (http://www.hopefs.org/Behavior/thefightagainstgangs.html - broken link)).

This is first-hand information provided from the administration: The merging of two areas (Clayton and Smithfield-Selma) that are known to be a 'hot-bed' for rival gangs. Yes, Gangs are also at Clayton High - alive and well (and increasing), people. Therefore, these blanket rules are being instituted for the SAFETY of ALL of our children, even if some people don't want to see it, understand it, or abide by rules designed for this purpose.

The bigger picture: I don't want the safety of my children being ultimately compromised because of some spoiled brat who can't get a plastic plug like everyone else. The disintegration of policy starts with stuff just like this. So let's ban ALL piercings, all jewlery, who cares???? Let's get the kids uniforms while we're at it - so what???? If it keeps ONE kid alive, them I'm all for it!!! I'd rather have my kids safe than in the middle of some gang war or "religious" battle that may inadvertently place them in danger, even if it's being in class with someone wearing the wrong 'colors' or piercings. Remember: MANY innocent victims have died as a result of gang violence whether directly or indirectly. School administrations don't have time or money for this mess - remember: My kids can't take their textbooks home because of lack of school district money....so you know no one has time or funding for some stupid court battle over this foolishness. Buy some books instead!!

Hopefully this will become law: Suck it up and plug it up. :-)
Your post highlights a critical issue in public education today. If you can afford to send your kid to a school with a population of wealthy motivated students they will have greater freedom and less restrictions compared to a school with students more socially and economically challenged. That leads you to Wake and the associated issues arising from busing for diversity and spreading the lack of well socialized students around. You got it!
What about West Johnston High? Restrictions like that will kill higher cost housing values!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 AM

131 posts, read 446,362 times
You have a good point, T - but the thing is this: Are we realllly doing "wealthy motivated students" who have "greater freedom" a favor by allowing them not to follow rules for the good of everyone, even those who are "less fortunate...." or does this make them more selfish and indulgent because they may have parents who know how (or know an attorney) to scream violation of civil rights? They can be "victims" too, in a variety of other ways,by being indulged.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-27-2010 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleighorr View Post
You have a good point, T - but the thing is this: Are we realllly doing "wealthy motivated students" who have "greater freedom" a favor by allowing them not to follow rules for the good of everyone, even those who are "less fortunate...." or does this make them more selfish and indulgent because they may have parents who know how (or know an attorney) to scream violation of civil rights? They can be "victims" too, in a variety of other ways,by being indulged.
Your questions and points are very valid and typical of what parents and community members often have.

What you end up with is some schools committed to academic excellence and others to a safe and orderly environment. In this age of academic accountability which school assignment area are you going to pay the most money to live in?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-27-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,847,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What do you think about this? Would this happen in Wake or Durham schools?

Clayton teen: Nose ring more than fashion, it's faith :: WRAL.com (http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/story/8298842/ - broken link)

The whole religion aspect aside, I didn't realize kids couldn't wear nose rings to school.
One more time, folks -- ^^ this ^^ is the topic of discussion.

There's an entire forum here dedicated to issues of Education and another for Parenting topics, so please take your general discussion to one of those forums.

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Trying to keep the broader issues of the subject in context of the OP let me offer this thought. Were the Principal of the school and the district administrators willing to acknowledge in court and a national media that Clayton High School had a gang problem and needed a rule restricting nose rings to help keep the school safe? What disruptive potential were they willing to hang their hat on in front of the Triangle, state and national audience? What would that have done to Clayton High district property values? Would that very public admission absent a specific violent incident have been a plus for him and the community? Remember he had to articulate a clear and specific need for such a restriction. From another article I saw today it indicated the county did have dress code guidelines. They may have been removed from the web site as a result of the suit and initial decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary