Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:04 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,325,795 times

Advertisements

The student was taking into the office and the dress code was explained to her. She refused to take out the nose stud. Her parents were then called and she was taken home.

She returned with the same nose stud and was then suspended.

I do believe schools should have stronger dress codes. I'm not sure a nose stud is a big deal but it IS the school policy. Therefore, she is breaking the code. Perhaps for attention?

According to what I have read, it is NOT against her religion to take out the piercings.

It seems the way to handle this would be to take out the nose stud while in school OR her parents should send her to a private school that doesn't have this dress code.

So much time and attention has been spent on this. I think our schools have other more important issues to deal with.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 03:01 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,157,837 times
Not surprisingly the courts have evidently ordered her reinstated.
Lawyer: Judge tells school to take pierced NC girl - U.S. news - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39576836/ns/us_news/ - broken link)
RALEIGH, N.C. — An attorney says a federal judge has ordered a North Carolina school to admit a 14-year-old student suspended for wearing a nose piercing she says is part of her religion.

Attorney Jon Sasser says U.S. District Judge Malcolm Howard announced the decision Friday.

Sasser and the American Civil Liberties Union sued Wednesday contending that Johnston County school officials violated the constitutional rights of Ariana Iacono. An attorney representing the school district would not comment Friday.

When it reached such a high profile each side was obligated to move forward and the ACLU has the guns to work with if they decide to.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:05 PM

6,299 posts, read 16,135,396 times
Apparently that was not the best way to handle it.

Quote:
It seems the way to handle this would be to take out the nose stud while in school OR her parents should send her to a private school that doesn't have this dress code.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Apparently that was not the best way to handle it.
Yup, most of the time the school could get away with it but not this time and not when it went so high profile. The upper echelon ACLU attorneys know how to win these in their sleep. The case isn't over and the school could still win but for now she is back in school awaiting the next hearing.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:22 PM

131 posts, read 447,160 times
HAHA Burnt!!! How true!!!!

Well I believe there should be standards enforced - (including a ban on short shorts since we saw plenty of "gross buttcheese" as my daughter says) hanging out at a recent game. I have multiple ear piercings, but so what if I had to take them out during the day??? Athletes have to remove their ear piercings to play in sporting events, so no big deal!!

They made such changes at this inner city middle school in Norfolk, VA (where I substituted) back in the late 1990s and it was the start of wonderful things for that school - totally changed their image, gang incidents declined, etc.

Why should someone be allowed to leave piercings in "for religious purposes" when my kids are not encouraged to practice their religious beliefs while they continually have the theory of evolution crammed down their throats (like it's gospel fact) during every science class?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:40 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,168,109 times
The theory of evolution has ZERO to do with religion and is not discouraging anyone's religious beliefs. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand of a nose ring.

Last edited by lamishra; 10-21-2010 at 01:25 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 25,004,042 times
How did we get from a nose ring to a discussion of religion vs. evolution?

Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,543,687 times
Here we go again. Teaching and letting students in public school get away with things that won't fly in the real world. I know I would never give her a job until she took it out.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
Here we go again. Teaching and letting students in public school get away with things that won't fly in the real world. I know I would never give her a job until she took it out.
One of the things at play here is the skill, experience and legal effectiveness of the lawyer representing the school system. Unfortunately you get what you pay for and perhaps their lawyer is over matched.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:35 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,345,536 times
There is little to ZERO accountability and consequences for ANY inappropriate behaviors in JCS at the moment..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary