Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:30 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,744,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark836 View Post
This quote is very disturbing. Shame on him whoever said this. And, shame on us for allowing a government official to get away this arrogance.
Oh please. It's not arrogant, it makes perfect sense. Rather than charging everyone to use a road, we are only making those that use it fork over to pay the cost. More roads should be built this way.

We have too many roads and quite frankly there just isn't enough money to maintain them all. It's not simply saying "oh well I pay taxes the money should be there" as there's just too many miles of roads to deal with and to add new ones costs more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 AM

43 posts, read 123,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
As one of the guys in charge of the project said "If you don't won't to pay the tolls, don't use the road"e
Why is this upsetting? The roads that were being used prior to 540 will still be in place, and anyone who feels opposed to paying the tolls for any reason will be able to continue to use them. You'll probably see less traffic on those roads and will therefore benefit from the 540 construction without paying a dime.

The people ALWAYS pay for this kind of thing in the end. Let those who actually want to use the road pay for it instead of jamming more taxes down the throats of people who won't benefit from the road. Once the government puts a new tax into place, it never goes away.

I'm pretty happy that 540 is being built and won't mind paying a toll to use it. We're coming from an area with insane traffic, and I'm glad to see that NC is at least trying to stay ahead of traffic.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 AM

161 posts, read 110,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Oh please. It's not arrogant, it makes perfect sense. Rather than charging everyone to use a road, we are only making those that use it fork over to pay the cost. More roads should be built this way.

We have too many roads and quite frankly there just isn't enough money to maintain them all. It's not simply saying "oh well I pay taxes the money should be there" as there's just too many miles of roads to deal with and to add new ones costs more money.
So we should start tolling all new roads that will be built because only some people will be using them? This includes all new 2 lane roads in and around the Triangle. That's a lot of tolls.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:04 PM

542 posts, read 1,526,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaralia View Post
Why is this upsetting?
It wasn't upsetting to me, I agreed with this quote wholeheartedly. They are having to build these roads because of poorly planned suburban expansion into the fringes of Wake County.

Mike

Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 AM

9,156 posts, read 14,810,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefAreCoolToo View Post
The toll will be an ORT - Open Road Toll. Basically it will have 2 cameras and a card reader (if you have the EZPASS), it will take the picture of the tag and the 2nd camera will act as an audit system.
I am not sure how it will work with out of state tags though...
I have wondered about that too. I assume they have a deal with other states so they can get their license info and also mail them a bill. I also have to assume they will be tacking some handling fee on otherwise how can they mail a bill for $1.00 and not lose money.

For anyone interested in the particulars of the project (actually two projects linked) here is the link to the NC Turnpike Authority project site for it. North Carolina Turnpike Authority: Triangle Expressway

Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 AM

251 posts, read 516,019 times
I'm sure they'll use EZ-Pass or something similar. EZ-Pass can be used all over the Northeast. We had it when we lived in NoVA for the toll roads there.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 AM

98 posts, read 179,159 times
Morning, all!

I've been scouring the proposed 540 maps and routes...so here's my question. The southern extension shows that it is north of middle creek and south of the Swift River connection between Lake Wheeler and Lake Benson. Will the new southern part of 540 utilize Ten Ten or Optimnist Farm Rd, or will be be a brand new road cut close to one or the other of those roads?

Anybody know?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:48 AM

43,431 posts, read 77,376,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sHome? View Post
Morning, all!

I've been scouring the proposed 540 maps and routes...so here's my question. The southern extension shows that it is north of middle creek and south of the Swift River connection between Lake Wheeler and Lake Benson. Will the new southern part of 540 utilize Ten Ten or Optimnist Farm Rd, or will be be a brand new road cut close to one or the other of those roads?

Anybody know?
New road will be built separate from 1010 and Optimist Farm Rd.

Here's a flyover view of the proposed corridor: http://www.ncturnpike.org/video/TriE...02010_1080.wmv

Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM

9 posts, read 14,654 times
I'm speaking with no DoT experience.

While many toll roads never go away, you will find a few that do. Generally though, the booths are left in place to begin tolling again whenever it is deemed necessary. You can bet this one is here to stay though.

IMO, this toll will stay in place to target the employees of the big companies in RTP. To me, this means that any additional (toll free) roads will not be built in/to this area for some time. This also means that you can forget expansion to current roads in this section of the county so that they can on "funnel" all traffic through this toll road.

I don't think using existing roads will become more of an option once a toll road opens up. Especially if the toll is per use instead of one flat monthly fee.

Quote:
If this is the way it should be, taxes for maintenance of existing roads should be lowered and all interstates/freeways should be made toll roads.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 AM

98 posts, read 179,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
New road will be built separate from 1010 and Optimist Farm Rd.

Here's a flyover view of the proposed corridor: http://www.ncturnpike.org/video/TriE...02010_1080.wmv

Well, isn't THAT just a fabulous piece of information! You're my hero! We're moving to the area in about 6-9 months and don't want to buy a house and then be able to say "we have a great house complete with a freeway in the back yard".

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary