Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 01:37 PM

450 posts, read 1,554,447 times

Advertisements

The wife and I don't venture into Raleigh all that often (we tend to stick to Durham, CH, and sometimes Cary). Anywho, we have some friends coming in from out of town for the long weekend and we want to take them to Downtown Raleigh for a bit before going to The Pit for dinner.

They'll be arriving Saturday afternoon, around 2pm, so we'll need something to do from about 4-7:30pm in downtown. I know there are a few museums, but I doubt they're open during those hours. Is there anything else that we can do downtown on Saturday around those times?

I realize it's not much time to show DT Raleigh, but we're doing CH and Durham on Sunday before they leave early Monday.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 01:47 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,029,727 times
You may be able to catch a museum for an hour or so, and at 4pm the air conditioning will be appreciated. I love, love, love the Raleigh City Museum. You can spend as little as 30 minutes in there so you won't feel rushed if it closes at 5. Well... just looked and it closes at 4. If you can get there around 3:30, it'd be worth a 30 minute look.

I think there may be a place or two on Fayetteville St. where you could at least sit inside with a cup of coffee and chit chat. I'm thinking there's one sort of close to the Capitol.

You could also go to Artspace where artists rent out space to make and sell their work. It's free to walk through and pretty interesting.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 PM

355 posts, read 958,427 times
Have a few high octane Belgian beers at Raleigh Times. Check out some local art at ArtSpace. Look at some crazy stuff at Father and Son Antiques. Hang out at the Boylen Heights Brewery. Have a coffee at the Morning Times.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,603,324 times
Lightbulb Mordecai Historic Park & Raleigh Trolley

BOOM...

Give this a try -> City of Raleigh | Mordecai Historic Park & Raleigh Trolley (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_209_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Parks_and_Facilities/Mordecai_Historic_Park/Cat-Index.html - broken link)

We did it with the in-laws about 4-5 years back and they loved it. Might be too hot though?

If you end up doing it, let me know how it was.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:13 PM

133 posts, read 425,121 times
i second mordecai plantation, they also have the small house (looks like a shed) that Andrew Johnson ( i think i have this right, was born in), there is the joel lane house, which is a little outside the downtown, but the oldest house in wake county. For downtown, a nice stroll around the capital. They have some statues of famous NClians. You can either walk it or drive down Blount Street and see the lovely governor's mansion (FDR had said it was one of the most beautiful houses he had stayed in) and a whole bunch of old houses on N. Person near Edenton and then down Blount). There is also the Oakwood historic area. Ther are some cool bars you can go to like, the raleigh times and sir issacs tavern on fayetteville st. There is the the NC science museum and the NC history museum on jones

Old 06-29-2010, 05:44 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times
Here is a link to a downtown Raleigh walking tour that a local blogger came up with: Downtown Raleigh Walking Tour (http://dtraleigh.com/walking-tour/ - broken link)

Old 06-29-2010, 06:40 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Downtown Raleigh Segway Tours:
http://www.trianglesegway.com/Triang...way_Tours.html

Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM

234 posts, read 823,098 times
The Segway tours are awesome...we loved ours!!

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Downtown Raleigh Segway Tours:
Segway Tours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary