Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:40 PM

351 posts, read 1,068,900 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a lot of momentum with the new developments in Downtown Raleigh. I just hope it continues, this is long overdue.

Article with(video to the right)

Downtown Raleigh Alliance Applauds City's Growth :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 PM

12 posts, read 34,419 times
Great! It's good to see DT Raleigh moving ahead and making a comeback.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:49 PM

30 posts, read 123,216 times
Postings about downtown don't seem to get much love on this site. Is everybody on here a suburbanite?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:11 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDuncan View Post
Postings about downtown don't seem to get much love on this site. Is everybody on here a suburbanite?
Raleigh often feels like a great big suburb. The horrid mess of construction in downtown doesn't seem to be where people want to be. From an outsider's point of view it almost seemed like they were just now building the city. At one point last summer I was driving into downtown twice a week. You could throw just about every road map out because streets were blocked off everywhere. But if it's done - all those watercolor paintings of what they were going to be doing with Fayetteville Street etc. were surely looking nice and all - maybe an actual urban culture will evolve. RDU has a lot of potential, really, but it's at a crucial crossroads that other fast-growing cities (e.g. Austin, TX) reached at one point where it had to decide whether it was going to try to stay a small town or make the step toward becoming a major city. If it goes the small-town route it invariably becomes a homogeneous cluster of suburbs. Houston fell into that pratfall, slowly realized the error of its ways and now is starting to embrace the concept of an actual urban identity. This development of downtown is crucial to establish the same in Raleigh.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:

I can see where you are coming form. Yes, most of the posters on this forum are living in suburbia (I am one of them). But there are those of us who are interested in talking about Downtown Raleigh and Downtown Durham. There just don't seem to be too many people who live downtown posting on this board for some reason. We use to have a great poster who went by the username RaleighRob who had a ton of great knowledge of Downtown Raleigh, but sadly he doesn't seem to post here any more.You can find lots of discussion about the more urban parts of Raleigh and Durham at urbanplanet.org.

As to the previous posts, I think Raleigh has committed to revitalizing its downtwon area. Just look at the HUGE convention center project and the multiple condos going up. I don't think downtwon Raleigh will ever be the next New Yor City, Boston, or Chicago, but I do think it will become a vibrant southern city with a formidable downtown population and have stores, restuarants and other establishments that cater to more than the 9-5 workday crowd. Raleigh isn't there yet, but that is the path it is headed down.

As to the Downtwon Raleigh Alliance, I think they do a great service to the city. I must admit though, I was a little dissapointed when I read up on the new director of the Downtown Alliance in a recent issue of The Idependent Weekly. While he seems like a decent enough guy, he repeatedly refers to the work he did in the city of Ronaoke, VA when he speaks if his vision of downtown Raleigh. No offense to folks from Virginia, but I don't really consider Roanoke much of a success story and I would hope that Raleigh aspires to be more than that. I think another big piece of the puzzle is getting large employers to relocate downtown. I don't know if that will happen though with all the available space out in RTP. In some ways I feel like RTP as much good as it has done this area, is a hindrance in some ways to the overall revitalization of downtown Raleigh and Downtown Durham.

In any event, I think good things are happening in downtown Raleigh. I work downtown and spend many weekends down there as well. I think it is a slow process, but it seems to be on the right track.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:31 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
I do live in Wake Forest, but I am a big supporter of Downtown Raleigh and try to get down there as often as my schedule allows.

I am not sure why there isn't more action on the downtown threads....probably because most folks on the boards are just getting settled in their own locations....they haven't explored the entire area yet.

Maybe everyone will head downtown on the 21st of this month and see downtown in action!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:35 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,267 times
I spent some time downtown during my visit two weeks ago, and I really like it! It's walkable, has a nice mix of old and new architecture, nice restaurants, beautiful squares of greenspace, and it's easy to find parking. I'm considering living downtown, if I can find a relatively affordable place. It seems like the city is really trying to bring some life back into downtown, and I think the completion of the convention center will help a lot.

What downtown does need is a grocery store that residents can walk to in a few minutes.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
We just moved into an apartment downtown after spending our first year in the NW Raleigh suburbs and we am SO happy with our new place. When we came up to find an apartment before we moved, we wanted to be in the downtown/Cameron Village/Five Points neighborhoods if possible, but couldn't find the right place in the short time we had to look around, so we settled on a big complex out in the burbs. Not to knock the burbs, because it was a very nice area that we lived in, but just too vanilla for us. I love the mix of new and old architecture in downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods, especially since I'm a sucker for historic buildings. Plus, we really like being able to walk or bike to entertainment and community events nearby. Not to mention that we found ourselves constantly making the trek downtown from NW Raleigh for weekend events and meeting up with friends, so it made sense for us to live closer, if not in downtown itself.

I am glad that there is interest in Raleigh's downtown area, as I personally believe it has a lot of potential to achieve its own character. I look forward to seeing great things happen here.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:12 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
It seems to me that the folks relocating to the area are drawn by the lure of square feet of suburban homes. And huge advertising budgets for new subdivisions overshadow the quiet quality of life one can have downtown.

Frankly, a big drawback to me for downtown Raleigh is the difficulty finding a home with an attached garage for my wife to use.
But I love many of the neighborhoods and might get there yet one day.
Cameron Village? Fantastic! And there is a choice of grocery stores.

AskMrBrown has in a few posts imparted a huge amount of knowledge about Raleigh. Wish Mr. Brown chimed in more often.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:42 AM

920 posts, read 2,813,267 times
I looked around at apartments in the downtown area, and I'm a little disappointed. I love older buildings, but the ones I saw seemed to be kind of run down and/or filled with students. I've got nothing against students, but I've been there, done that. Some that I checked out include the Raleigh Apts., the Wedgewood Apts., and the St. Mary's Apts., as well as some brick ones on Hillsborough Street (sorry, can't remember their name).

I'm curious about the Tucker building going in downtown. I heard it was going to be condos, but now it'll be an apartment building.

Also, how do you find out about individual condos for rent? Is it reasonable to think I could find one downtown for under $1000/month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary