Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,737,453 times

Advertisements

What's a salmon?

I do a little flyfishing but not much. I've used bend backs, streamers, clousers, etc. but generally nothing smaller than 1.5 inches in length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrivman1 View Post
Is the Black drum related to the Redfish?
Yes, a Redfish is a member of the drum family. It looks a lot like a Stripped Bass (what we call a Rockfish in MD). They tend to get parasites when they get bigger, so most people don't eat them, but you can. People eat Redfish and smaller drums all the time, but the bigger ones - most people tend to avoid. I've caught and eaten Redfish, and they are good eating, but I haven't caught any of the big black drums yet.

One other thing about saltwater fishing vs. fresh water fishing. The fish fight a lot harder pound for pound! Salt water fish are much more ferocious! Even the trout are more aggressive and hard hitting, and once you see the fang teeth they have you'll appreciate what I'm saying.

It is a tad windy today, I am hoping to go out for a bit and see what I can snag!

Last edited by Big House; 01-10-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Yes they are related...both are drums. I think bass fishing is actually pretty different. The top water part is similar but a bass will also just feel like you are dragging along the bottom and a snook will hit hard every time. Personally, I like reds and jacks for a good pull.

b, I hadn't read your reply when I just posted. I like to kayak for reds. They like to go in shallow waters. And, in the kayak often you can see the fish run right under you. At ponce de leon park in pgi they have a fishing pier which is really nice, and the fish run right along the opposite bank, but you can see them running and swimming right beneath the pier too.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska to Florida View Post
So does this mean that I need to remove all the salmon flies from my tackle box?
Nope, there are lots and lots of shallow shore line all around some mangrove areas in the harbor. I see people wading and fly fishing all the time. You won't catch any salmon, but some uppity snapper (who has thoughts of glory) might hit, plus there are some other trout and other species that may hit like a mackerel. I have some great fly fishing equipment, but haven't tried that out yet.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 AM

493 posts, read 1,386,240 times
Have you ever caught Spade fish? My two sons and I caught a lot of them right off a pier in PG at the Best Western Waterfront a few years ago, they fight pretty good too!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
Quote:
Have you ever caught Spade fish? My two sons and I caught a lot of them right off a pier in PG at the Best Western Waterfront a few years ago, they fight pretty good too!
Hmmm..I'm thinking you mean a Sheepshead? http://www.rodnreel.com/gulffish/gul...view&FishID=61

They're similar to a Spadefish but these are the ones you'll find hanging around the pilings eating the barnacles.

Spadefish generally hang out on the reefs and are more toward Key West.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Yes, but down here they are referred to as Sheephead. I mentioned that I have caught plenty of them down here, and a lot of people like to eat them. They are active and plentiful all year round. They are easy to catch this time of year as well. You need to use very small hooks on them because they will just nibble off all the bait from your hook otherwise. My brother loves them, and is one of his favorite target species.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM

They are fun to catch, we were using cut squid when we caught them and most times they would clean off the hook before you could set on them. Kind of remind me of angel fish.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
They are fun to catch, we were using cut squid when we caught them and most times they would clean off the hook before you could set on them. Kind of remind me of angel fish.
Yeah, if you are fishing for them, you want to bait the hook the right way, using a small a hook as you can find, you want to make sure the hook point is set in a small piece of bait (very small, even a piece of shrimp) so that they can take it whole. Otherwise they will tug at a piece of it, and you will just loose the bait, and they will clean your hook off. Again, a lesson about how to fish for certain species. They have sharp beak like teeth. My brother likes to use the small sand fleas, and hermit crabs as bait that he finds in the water. I just use shrimp.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM

How big can these type of fish get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte