Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 02:42 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times

Advertisements

This trip and every dive trip honestly , we are pushed to get out in the Gulf. Its never my boat ( I wont take my single engine outboard beyond sight of land in the gulf) But I will get a Sabiki Rig for when I take my Walk Around out in the Harbor..
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
If you can get whoever's driving to stop on the way out for 10 minutes when you see bait busting the surface, throw a Sabiki rig on one of the rods and put one or two dozen sardines/blue runners, etc in the baitwell. Then, you're ready for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 04:36 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
This trip and every dive trip honestly , we are pushed to get out in the Gulf. Its never my boat ( I wont take my single engine outboard beyond sight of land in the gulf) But I will get a Sabiki Rig for when I take my Walk Around out in the Harbor..
If you do this often, invest a few bucks in a pinfish trap or pinfish "hotel". Sabiki or net a couple of dozen a day or two before you go, and keep them in the trap off your dock. If the dive boat doesn't have a livewell, get a battery aerator for a five gallon bucket - pinfish are tough, threadfins not so much. I've kept big pinfish in a crab trap for more than a week - although one time the crabs got in there and ate them, so I guess they're not THAT tough. Even if they die in the bucket, fresh cut pinfish will outfish frozen sardines most of the time, and the sardines are much more effective if you get the fish lit up first on live bait.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:57 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
I think you can even chum pinfish into your dock with the right bait...

Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I think you can even chum pinfish into your dock with the right bait...
We've done that too, but they're always HUGE. Not the best live bait, except maybe for sharks or Goliaths. I've had my best luck with a castnet on the shallow flat just south of PH. Get them swarming around with some tropical fish food, and one good toss will get you 8 dozen, perfect silver dollar size. Take what you need, and leave the rest (as The Band said).

Old 06-04-2015, 11:10 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
whats PH?

Old 06-04-2015, 12:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Pirate Harbor I would guess.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Pirate Harbor I would guess.
Yep, sorry, Pirate Harbor. The flat just south of the channel is a favorite spot for baitfish. You'll usually find 2 or 3 boats floating around, chumming for whitebait and pinfish. Stay away from the area with the old pilings - there are submerged pilings that have eaten more than one castnet - if you've had a hard luck day on trout and redfish though, a freelined shrimp around those pilings will usually get you a snapper for dinner.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:29 AM

We caught nothing ... bait stripped a few times a little tug of war but nothing landed.. There is not a lot of time to fish when you have divers in the water.. Hunters are nothing like recreational divers who do 60 fsw for 60 minutes.. hunters are often only down for 10 m inutes or so at a time. But what a great day to be out on the Gulf!!

Old 06-05-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
We caught nothing ... bait stripped a few times a little tug of war but nothing landed.. There is not a lot of time to fish when you have divers in the water.. Hunters are nothing like recreational divers who do 60 fsw for 60 minutes.. hunters are often only down for 10 m inutes or so at a time. But what a great day to be out on the Gulf!!
That's a hard way to fish - it takes longer than that for the local residents to figure out you're there and there's a free lunch.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:00 PM

I had the chance to go 60 Miles off Venice tomorrow.. I passed... Its a spot where a fellow who used to be a licensed fishemen used to clean up in two hours, but it would have meant very loooooooong day .. 2 hours fishing and 8 hours riding in the boat.. Simple Answer.. No Thanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte