Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 06:45 PM

114 posts, read 172,714 times

Advertisements

I am coming down April 11th, and will be around for 4 weeks or so, fishing every day. The boat will splash the 11th, and I will be out in the Harbr, or fishing near offshore every day.

Messing-About, I hope we can pull off that impromptu tournament, or at least get together while I am down.

Any fishing reports in preparation are appreciated.

But rest assured, We'll find 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:20 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
Sounds good Duke. Is this the second trip for you in a year or has another year gone by that fast for me? Redfish bite is supposedly going on strong in the Cutoff, which is one of my favorite hunting grounds. Spanish Mac are back in the harbor. Tarpon run is likely starting up, given the number of juvis I'm seeing in the canal. Caught a fun one on 10 pound test a couple weeks back. Big trout are still being reported and with this weekends cool,front, they will stick around a bit longer. Snook have eluded me by playing shake the hook but they are certainly being caught. Bucknut has an APB out on a snook with lip jewelry bearing his name.

My boat trailer is undergoing a rebuild today. I will give a report on that after I get it back in a couple days.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:53 AM

114 posts, read 172,714 times
I was down for a few weeks in November and had the best fishing of my life. The only thing I havent targeted is Tarpon, and I am interested in giving it a go this time. Towards the end of the November trip I started going " offshore", really just out to the near shore reefs, and had a blast with the Kingfish. I kind of fished myself out on Reds and Snook by the end of that trip, but I am certainly going to give them a go again. The trout aren't my favorite, although you can't beat the numbers if you find a decent school.

Some of the most fun I have had has been with the sharks, and I hope they are active. I Can't wait, two weeks from now, I'll be on my way down, leaving the snow behind me.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:58 AM

Default Boat Trailer refurbish

I had my 20 year old Galvanized trailer refurbished by Discount Trailer, on Poulson Drive, across from Murdock Stone. I had shopped the local classifieds for a used replacement and almost bought a good looking Shoreland'r trailer for $700 before my research revealed it was built for fresh water use only. Whew...near miss.

New 17' aluminum trailers go for about $1,500-1,700 around here. Instead I took mine up to see Ralph at Discount trailer. He gave me an estimate of $500 to do what I needed. In the end, he gave me a choice on a couple of more recommended items and it got out pretty close to that. Here's what I got, using stainless hardware and aluminum replacement parts:
4 slide u-bolts on rear frame
2 heavy duty leaf springs
Perm spray on Waterproof grease on springs
4 med shackles
8 bunk brackets
2 safety chains/hooks
New Winch strap & safety hook
8 bunk brackets and u-bolts
3 tongue u-bolts
Axle service with rebuilt hubs
New lug nuts for existing wheels
Aluminum guide-on posts
PVC post covers with tube light kit
Electric wiring harness and new 4 way plug
Repair coupler unit
Labor to install all
He got the trailer from me late Thursday night and I picked it up Saturday night. (He offered to let me come back and get it on Sunday, if I didn't want to wait). A service guy who works Sunday?! I was there watching him finish the last 2 hours of labor. Great work ethic and fast service, in my opinion. To stay close to his original estimate, I noticed he only charged me 2 hours labor for the entire job.

Grand total $612.95

I highly recommend this guy. I was surprised he had me leave the boat on but he said it was so he could ensure the boat sat perfect after the refurb. Made sense then. I am so glad I didn't buy a used trailer, especially with no knowledge as to what condition the hubs were in, or the inside of the painted steel frame, with a few specks of rust showing on the outside. He builds new ones too. He does annual wheel service on your hubs for $65-95, depending on your condition. Give him a shot at your business. 941-623-8576.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:09 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
. A service guy who works Sunday?!

I highly recommend this guy. Give him a shot at your business. 941-623-8576.
aqbout a year ago I installed a seastar steering on my last boat a seacraft I bought used parts and ended up with a bad hub so I called these folks

Teleflex- Seastar Baystar Hydraulic Steering Repair Service Steering Leaks

I called on a sunday figuring I get a machine to get the hours but I got a awnser , when I said I needed a hub rebuilt the guy butch said I could bring it to him to rebild so I drive up to tapa when I got there he had a rebuilt unit like mine ready and waiting for me, on a sunday

Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
Was down March 20-28. I followed Fishin Franks advice and fished the Gilchrist Park seawall early AM using a Zara Spook. Caught several medium-sized Jack Crevalle each time. Man, these fish are strong and not subtle about taking a topwater plug!.

I did not measure, but most were about 18-22".

Used a heavy spinning rod reel (8', 6") with 20lb. braid and 30lb. Fluorocarbon leader. Longer rod works well from shore for longer castsa nd ability to keep fish away from pilings, rocks, etc.

Fished Thursday, March 26 with a snowbird buddy of mine. He took me out of Pirate Harbor. We started around the Ice House bar and caught a bunch of small-medium specks (trout) on Rapala XR8 and similar swimming/suspending plugs, then e ran to Cape Haze bar. We started trolling same lures until we found schools, then drifted and caught smaller jacks, ladies, and blue runners (add another fish species to my growing fish caught list).

Tony had a break off of the only Spanish hooked that day. The wind picked up and we headed back, stopping at the Ice House channel to pick up more specks, ladies and jacks on top water plugs.

I would up with about 40 fish landed (in about 4 hours on the water).

Used a light spinning rod/reel with 15lb. braid and 30 lb. fluorocarbon leader.

Great day on the water.

All week there was a school of juvenile (10-30 lb.) tarpon rolling and breaking on bait in our canal. I could not hook up. Best I did was have one follow my XR10 to the dock, open his mouth, make eye contact with me, and turn away-last second...

I think they are feeding on small bait. Need to try a small fly with a strong hook attached to a zara spook with a length of leader..

Sheepshead and mangroves under our dock. I left them alone for now..

Mike

Old 03-31-2015, 05:21 AM

413 posts, read 828,343 times
Thanks for the info Mike, sounds like a good time, can't wait.

Dave

Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Messing: Was this a deal after a lot of haggling and such or just Here it is this is what I charge..
I ask because I need to have an older but decent Galv. twin axel gone through..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Here's what I got, using stainless hardware and aluminum replacement parts:
4 slide u-bolts on rear frame
2 heavy duty leaf springs
Perm spray on Waterproof grease on springs
4 med shackles
8 bunk brackets
2 safety chains/hooks
New Winch strap & safety hook
8 bunk brackets and u-bolts
3 tongue u-bolts
Axle service with rebuilt hubs
New lug nuts for existing wheels
Aluminum guide-on posts
PVC post covers with tube light kit
Electric wiring harness and new 4 way plug
Repair coupler unit
Labor to install all
He got the trailer from me late Thursday night and I picked it up Saturday night. (He offered to let me come back and get it on Sunday, if I didn't want to wait). A service guy who works Sunday?! I was there watching him finish the last 2 hours of labor. Great work ethic and fast service, in my opinion. To stay close to his original estimate, I noticed he only charged me 2 hours labor for the entire job.

Grand total $612.95

I highly recommend this guy. I was surprised he had me leave the boat on but he said it was so he could ensure the boat sat perfect after the refurb. Made sense then. I am so glad I didn't buy a used trailer, especially with no knowledge as to what condition the hubs were in, or the inside of the painted steel frame, with a few specks of rust showing on the outside. He builds new ones too. He does annual wheel service on your hubs for $65-95, depending on your condition. Give him a shot at your business. 941-623-8576.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Messing: Was this a deal after a lot of haggling and such or just Here it is this is what I charge..
I ask because I need to have an older but decent Galv. twin axel gone through..
No haggling in the least. He estimated $500, later offered to replace my lights system for $60 more. I asked him if we were still close to 500 before the lights and he said fairly close to that but he hadn't done all of the totaling yet. I said go ahead with the new lights and take care of greasing my leaf springs. The total ended at $612.95. Truth be told, he must have shorted himself some labor to try and stay close to his estimate plus options. Very fair guy. There's a single Google review out there with negative comments but I couldn't disagree more. My experience was very positive.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:35 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Retired, as of 5PM. Time to test my theory that "too much" fishing is an imaginary concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte