Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM

12,910 posts, read 9,168,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I never asked for opinions on why they do what they do. Please re-read. I asked if anyone else finds being around excessively sedentary people somehow annoying, and some people gave me some interesting answers, which was nice.

I can't even understand most of the rest of your post.

We live in an area with virtually unlimited things to do. I don't truly care what they avail themselves of. We include them in some things, but we're too busy to be a full time entertainment director and everybody knows that. They know they have the run of the house, if all they want to do is sit and read there are literally a half-dozen comfy, nice places to do that, but they just sit in the middle of the great room and vegetate. Oh well. I'm not going to kick them out just to go do the same in another room to vegetate.
I think we're still uncertain of what your problem is. Is there something you want them to do? Is the problem that they are reading instead of doing some other thing? Do you want them to be talking to you and doing what you want to do? Or is the problem that they are in your line of sight, and you don't want to see them?

It's very difficult to provide answers to a question this vague other than by random chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM

2,070 posts, read 1,039,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's very difficult to provide answers to a question this vague other than by random chance.

The question was simply, "Are you bothered by sedentary people?" That's it. They aren't asking for the situation to be solved or fixed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I asked if anyone else finds being around excessively sedentary people somehow annoying, and some people gave me some interesting answers, which was nice.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,068,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think we're still uncertain of what your problem is. Is there something you want them to do? Is the problem that they are reading instead of doing some other thing? Do you want them to be talking to you and doing what you want to do? Or is the problem that they are in your line of sight, and you don't want to see them?

It's not difficult. Clevergirl gets it and it is that simple why I posted.

Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

12,125 posts, read 8,520,157 times
I saw what you did, Harry.

Looks like roku's going to have a conglomeration of responses to this.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,068,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I saw what you did, Harry.

Looks like roku's going to have a conglomeration of responses to this.
What?

Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM

22,150 posts, read 13,180,363 times
I'm extremely annoyed and disturbed by people sitting like statues staring like zombies at their stupid "smart" phones, so yes. When you're in the company of other people, particularly in a host/guest situation, it's generally expected that you'll interact with them and not zone out on the Internet. I personally would consider that rude. If this guest has a bedroom or there's a porch, I'd expect them to retreat to those areas if they want to be alone (online). Of course, not knowing the relationship, this may be a relative who doesn't care what you think, lol.

Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 15 days ago)

16,129 posts, read 21,267,051 times
This doesn't sound like a typical host/guest situation though, not when the 'guest' is there for weeks at a time. It sounds as though they are in a situation where they are permanently (or semi permanently) a guest in other peoples homes, and not there just visiting for the sake of it. That probably feels awkward for everyone, but especially for the guest who may feel like a burden. Not to mention the thought of always having to behave like a 'guest' for weeks (months?) on end doesn't sound especially enjoyable.

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

12,910 posts, read 9,168,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
The question was simply, "Are you bothered by sedentary people?" That's it. They aren't asking for the situation to be solved or fixed:
What do you mean by "sedentary" people? If the question really is simply about people who are reading and not running around doing something, then that is a very different question than one about guests who aren't helping around the house. If that's the real question, then all the other information is a distraction from the question.

But seriously, why would anyone be bothered by seeing someone else just reading? Really, how does someone reading "suck the life out of a room?" Perhaps the OP should be asking why seeing someone reading rather than doing things the OP would do bother them so much.

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

5,635 posts, read 3,993,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm extremely annoyed and disturbed by people sitting like statues staring like zombies at their stupid "smart" phones, so yes. When you're in the company of other people, particularly in a host/guest situation, it's generally expected that you'll interact with them and not zone out on the Internet. I personally would consider that rude. If this guest has a bedroom or there's a porch, I'd expect them to retreat to those areas if they want to be alone (online). Of course, not knowing the relationship, this may be a relative who doesn't care what you think, lol.
Yeah, to me, the reading material makes all the difference here. If I had a houseguest who sat around reading books all day, I'd be thrilled, as I pretty much do the same thing myself (just at the bookstore rather than at home). But if the guest was instead scrolling through social media feeds all day, to me that's depressing

Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

51,188 posts, read 36,873,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
In the past I needed to spend time hosting or sharing a house with a sibling who's very sedentary. She spends hours parked in a chair glued to her phone or tablet. Bugged me quite a bit, but I soon realized it was up to me to go do something to release that aggravation. I suspect I felt the urge to "fix" what IMHO was wrong with her life. Realizing that was neither my beeswax nor responsibility was quite liberating.

I would be more bugged if the person were hogging the TV. When I met my bf, he had a roommate who was on disability, and did nothing but sit on the couch day and night watching reruns of Two and a Half Men and MASH, drinking beer. He only got up to go outside and smoke. Because we were at work all day, he came to think of the living room as "his" turf, had a little camp set up around him. We were never able to just sit the two of us and watch a movie alone, even though we were in early dating stages. Even if we wanted to watch a TV show, it felt like we had to ask him if it was okay if we changed the channel.

I'd much rather have had him be engrossed in his phone. To this day I can't change the channel fast enough if Two and a Half Men comes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology