Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2022, 09:02 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,736,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Consumer Cellular has a good selection, and you can pay for the phones over time with no interest.

https://www.consumercellular.com/sho...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Much appreciated, but it's strictly a money-saving move as I specifically want the S22. I could have gotten the S21 for $700 or bought a similar phone that would be a better phone than the budget phone. The S22 would be $1300 + tax for unlocked retail price. This budget phone was $100. So if I wait, I can get the S22 for around $800 or $900. My carrier doesn't have published dates on when the S22 will be available, so the timeframe is unknown. But I will get the phone I want and still save money even with having used this budget phone in the interim.

#firstworldproblems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 03:21 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I busted the screen on my Samsung S10 and needed a replacement phone. I had planned to eventually get a Samsung S22, but I wanted to wait until it became available via my carrier rather than pay full retail price for an unlocked phone, saving me hundreds of dollars. To fill the gap for now, I went with a budget phone as the S22 probably won't be available for several months. This budget phone is a slog.

If this budget phone was a person and this was a social interaction between us, or if I was a cell phone, and it was a cell phone - and that made sense - I would have one word for it for the fact that it feels like I can think faster than it can process the data/steps I'm taking: "awkwaaaaaaaaaaard."
AT&T also is really pushing their trade in program where you could trade that busted S10 for a new S22 free or heavily discounted.

I traded an S9 for one, very much against my will, recently. My old phone wasn't playing nice with the 3G shutdown situation for some reason, even though it was on the list of phones that was supposed to work.

Only thing is, even though my new phone is free, they are structuring that as a credit on my statement to offset an installment contract, which means that unless I want to pay it off at full price, I'm stuck with this carrier for like 3 more years. Feels like a dirty trick, especially when I didn't even WANT to trade in my old phone, it was working fine until they messed with the network.

Old 05-14-2022, 04:51 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,736,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
AT&T also is really pushing their trade in program where you could trade that busted S10 for a new S22 free or heavily discounted.

I traded an S9 for one, very much against my will, recently. My old phone wasn't playing nice with the 3G shutdown situation for some reason, even though it was on the list of phones that was supposed to work.

Only thing is, even though my new phone is free, they are structuring that as a credit on my statement to offset an installment contract, which means that unless I want to pay it off at full price, I'm stuck with this carrier for like 3 more years. Feels like a dirty trick, especially when I didn't even WANT to trade in my old phone, it was working fine until they messed with the network.
I pay $35 per mo. and I'm under no contract at any time, and that's one of the reasons I have no intention of switching carriers. And usually those deals such as yours are for first-time customers or customers switching carriers. So as you can see you're locked in with them for three years which basically allows them to cover the cost of the phone that you'd pay out-of-pocket for otherwise, as in my situation. It's a wash. Actually, it's even worse than a wash - you're spending more because they require a more expensive plan to use the high-end phones. I just checked with one site, and for a "free" S22, there is an installment fee per mo. and with the cheapest plan I can get, the bill comes to $87.23 per month. So $87.23 (new plan) - $35 (my plan) comes to a difference of $52.23 per month. $52.23 x 12 months x 3 years = $1,880.28. I will save money and pay $900 for my discounted S22 on my carrier and save $980.28 over that alleged deal of a three-year contract by not switching carriers and just being patient.

I wasn't trying to bore people with all of that when I originally posted about it. The moral of my story: I feel like I'm thinking faster than my budget phone. It's weird. I hate slow tech. And don't drop your phone .

Old 05-15-2022, 02:12 PM

1,400 posts, read 767,879 times
I've been trying for over an hour to find a way to watch the movie 2000 Mules and I can't find it anywhere; some lawn maintenance guy came by and sprayed poison on some pretty yellow dandelions and now I'm worried that the birds are going to eat the poisoned worms and get sick; I cancelled cable now I'm going through withdrawals and I might have to pay a thirty-five dollar overdraft fee because I was one dollar and 11 cents off in my otherwise perfect calculations

These are my first world problems.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:38 PM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I was at the store buying popsicles for my grands. I think granddaughter like white ones, but are they banana? I could have bought a box of all banana, but I seem to remember she doesn’t like bananas. My other choice was 4 flavors, which i bought, but none of which are white. Oh, I hope I can sleep tonight.

Old 05-16-2022, 04:27 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
I pay $35 per mo. and I'm under no contract at any time, and that's one of the reasons I have no intention of switching carriers. And usually those deals such as yours are for first-time customers or customers switching carriers. So as you can see you're locked in with them for three years which basically allows them to cover the cost of the phone that you'd pay out-of-pocket for otherwise, as in my situation. It's a wash. Actually, it's even worse than a wash - you're spending more because they require a more expensive plan to use the high-end phones. I just checked with one site, and for a "free" S22, there is an installment fee per mo. and with the cheapest plan I can get, the bill comes to $87.23 per month. So $87.23 (new plan) - $35 (my plan) comes to a difference of $52.23 per month. $52.23 x 12 months x 3 years = $1,880.28. I will save money and pay $900 for my discounted S22 on my carrier and save $980.28 over that alleged deal of a three-year contract by not switching carriers and just being patient.

I wasn't trying to bore people with all of that when I originally posted about it. The moral of my story: I feel like I'm thinking faster than my budget phone. It's weird. I hate slow tech. And don't drop your phone .
Oh I hear ya. I wasn't a new customer, though, I've been with them since 2001. I also have a shared plan with 4 lines, so that changes the math quite a bit. The only factor that made it overall worthwhile to make the changes that I did (though I was grumpy about it) was that they threw in HBO for free, and I like HBO, watch a lot of stuff on it, and was paying $150/year for a subscription to it.

Also I am stuck with them anyways because (again, against my will and my wishes...) one of my sons got an actual installment plan on a phone. He was supposed to be separating off my plan and getting on his own plan, and I provided my account PIN to the guy he was talking to at the AT&T store for him to do this...but I got bamboozled, when the dude talked him into doing something else and no one asked me if it was OK. I'd previously told him it was NOT ok. /sigh...kids.

But anyways. The math on our service plan comes to about $45/month per line (after taxes and all.) And we get the free HBO. So, not too brutal.

But for real, though, dealing with the cell phone company people, like I wanna commiserate because hoo buddy has it been one of MY recent first world problems!

And wouldn't ya know it, it wasn't a month after all this nonsense that my old laptop quit working and I had to replace that, too! It doesn't rain but it pours, I tell ya.

Old 05-17-2022, 08:30 AM

1,400 posts, read 767,879 times
The coffee grinder makes a loud noise which detracted from the symphony this morning of a power drill and the beep beep beep of a truck backing up

Old 05-17-2022, 10:27 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Much appreciated, but it's strictly a money-saving move as I specifically want the S22. I could have gotten the S21 for $700 or bought a similar phone that would be a better phone than the budget phone. The S22 would be $1300 + tax for unlocked retail price. This budget phone was $100. So if I wait, I can get the S22 for around $800 or $900. My carrier doesn't have published dates on when the S22 will be available, so the timeframe is unknown. But I will get the phone I want and still save money even with having used this budget phone in the interim.

#firstworldproblems
Consumer cellular has the S22 for $799. at $35. a month.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
I am so traumatized! I have been adamantly against FB since its inception (just for me, personally).

Now our younger (well, late 50s, lol) condo prez has created a FB page for our condo. Too much trouble to do a group email, I guess. Now we have to check a FB page to see what's happening, and only 15 units here.

Grrrr. It'll be DH's job which guarantees it won't be checked, lol. I'll just look out the widow to see what's happening!

Old 05-17-2022, 08:24 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Gatorade is getting hard to find in the flavors I want. Shelves were mostly bare of all flavors today....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology