Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 05:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I don't have dessert tonight.
This is why I keep 100 calorie fudge bars in the freezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 11:46 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
My father in law has my husband and I dealing with two old storage units (20+ years since anything was touched in them) and he gave us permission to keep or sell anything as we pleased.

So we essentially inherited a whole heap of antiques. Some of it is probably pretty valuable. Super cool, right? Except that researching the items to figure out their worth, finding a platform on which to sell them without losing at least half or more of that value, and figuring out if it's worthwhile to deal with shipping for some stuff that is large and/or fragile...is a monumental pain in my tookus. Not to mention the agonizing I'm doing over stuff that I want to keep versus lack of space to keep it in, and a general feeling that I've already got way too much STUFF in my life. /sigh

So that's the good, and the bad, but what about the ugly? Oh lord, the ugly. This has been a journey of the questionable taste of rich people in decades gone by. Heavy unframed mirrors that were bolted to walls. Upholstered furniture in hideous colors and patterns. Weird lamps that I can't even figure out how to assemble, with old electrical cording that is a certain fire hazard. Antique Chinese portraits done on delicate crumbling rice paper scrolls of chubby men in robes and hats. 1940s childrens' books full of racist tropes. Frou frou dishes you can't eat off of, because of the toxic lead involved in their making. (I'm not, and never will be, a "china cabinet" kind of gal.)

WHAT AM I GONNA DO WITH ALL THIS STUFF

Old 01-26-2022, 12:57 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,542 times
My gel hand sanitizer is runny.

Old 01-26-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
My gel hand sanitizer is runny.
Oh no.

I am reminded of another first world problem I had. I'd forgotten about a container of that stuff I put in the center console compartment in my car, and it leaked...I didn't have anything important in there to get ruined by it, but it was heavily scented (to cover the alcohol smell I guess) and man did my car have a perfumy stench for a while...eck...

Old 01-26-2022, 09:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
My father in law has my husband and I dealing with two old storage units (20+ years since anything was touched in them) and he gave us permission to keep or sell anything as we pleased.

So we essentially inherited a whole heap of antiques. Some of it is probably pretty valuable. Super cool, right? Except that researching the items to figure out their worth, finding a platform on which to sell them without losing at least half or more of that value, and figuring out if it's worthwhile to deal with shipping for some stuff that is large and/or fragile...is a monumental pain in my tookus. Not to mention the agonizing I'm doing over stuff that I want to keep versus lack of space to keep it in, and a general feeling that I've already got way too much STUFF in my life. /sigh

So that's the good, and the bad, but what about the ugly? Oh lord, the ugly. This has been a journey of the questionable taste of rich people in decades gone by. Heavy unframed mirrors that were bolted to walls. Upholstered furniture in hideous colors and patterns. Weird lamps that I can't even figure out how to assemble, with old electrical cording that is a certain fire hazard. Antique Chinese portraits done on delicate crumbling rice paper scrolls of chubby men in robes and hats. 1940s childrens' books full of racist tropes. Frou frou dishes you can't eat off of, because of the toxic lead involved in their making. (I'm not, and never will be, a "china cabinet" kind of gal.)

WHAT AM I GONNA DO WITH ALL THIS STUFF
Have it hauled to the dump, unless you know it has inherent value. If you like something, keep it because you like it.

Antiques are not hot in the resellers’ market now. I would not worry about values unless you have a piece of obvious value.

Old costume jewelry might have some value if it is good quality, and in good shape.

Antiques are things that are at least 100 years old. Old furniture not 100 years old is considered “vintage.” Some vintage mid 20th Century furniture is in demand.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:42 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,297,509 times
I have my Ham radio test for my Tech license tomorrow. I am worried I won't make a 100. (Yes, I am a nerd.) I have taken so many practice tests that I am afraid my brain is on overload and will just go NOPE, WE AIN'T DOIN IT!

I have hand sanitizer from 2020 when it was almost impossible to find and it STINKS, but I don't want to throw it out.

I want to be thin, but I want to eat.

I wish I was able to sift through Sonic's storage things, but know I don't have room for any of it.....can't help but think there be treasures there.....OMG, I'm a pirate??

Old 01-26-2022, 09:52 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,297,509 times
I worry Sonic will throw out something valuable.....

Old 01-26-2022, 10:13 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,550,542 times
I bought Trader Joe's Pound Plus, for the first time in years. I'd forgotten how difficult it is to cut. Does anyone have a power tool I can borrow?

Quote:
... and it leaked.. it was heavily scented (to cover the alcohol smell I guess) and man did my car have a perfumy stench for a while...eck...
Oh no! That would literally give me a headache. I'm sensitive to strong scents of any kind. I hope you're not.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:13 AM

4,144 posts, read 3,061,898 times
Quote:
Oh no.

I am reminded of another first world problem I had. I'd forgotten about a container of that stuff I put in the center console compartment in my car, and it leaked...I didn't have anything important in there to get ruined by it, but it was heavily scented (to cover the alcohol smell I guess) and man did my car have a perfumy stench for a while...eck...

When I take my car to the dealer for service (about once a year), they "disinfect" it. Instead of smelling like Corinthian leather (from Corinth, Mississippi, or maybe from New Jersey), it smells of disinfectant.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Have it hauled to the dump, unless you know it has inherent value. If you like something, keep it because you like it.

Antiques are not hot in the resellers’ market now. I would not worry about values unless you have a piece of obvious value.

Old costume jewelry might have some value if it is good quality, and in good shape.

Antiques are things that are at least 100 years old. Old furniture not 100 years old is considered “vintage.” Some vintage mid 20th Century furniture is in demand.
There were 2 storage units and the combined cost on them (as they raise the price over time) was over $550/month! We got a new unit for $135/month, and emptied the two old ones. Just as a "for now, to buy us time to figure this out" solution.

Thing is right now we live in a smallish apartment space and don't have room for much. But there is a lot there that I'd be happy to have when we buy a house in a few years, so some of it...if I get a great offer, sure, I'll sell, but if not, I'm happy to keep, so long as it's not costing a fortune to store it.

Some of it is antique, books and china that are almost 200 years old for instance...some is vintage, particularly the mid century furniture. I complain about the ugly chairs, but at least they are very clean and in good shape, I could actually love them if I had them re-upholstered in a nicer fabric, and I might go that route in the future.

What I really want to figure out how to sell if I can is the Chinese art items, because that stuff is totally not my style. Or even if I can find a museum that wants it, we could donate it perhaps. I am told that some of the art was donated to a museum in San Francisco at one point, they took it on happily as a restoration project. And most of the delicate china dishes, they are really old but the pink flowers and gold...again, not my thing. They were rich people who lived in Mexico City and traveled in China and bought a bunch of stuff there, too.

What kills me about all this, is you always THINK you're gonna find treasures, but even if you do, finding a buyer for them can be a huge pain. Thankfully, Goodwill has already taken some of the most cumbersome stuff (like the weird giant unframed mirrors) off our hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology