Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 08:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That would drive me nuts every time I looked at it.

When they installed the light bar above my bathroom sinks, they neglected to use a level. You don't notice it when you are standing up, so I didn't catch it during the walk through.

Five times a day I would see that quarter of an inch of incompetence for the next dozen years.
OMG I am the SAME WAY. You do realize, though, that we're a bit obsessive, right?

In our former house, the chandelier in the foyer was hung about 1 inch to the left of center. Whenever I was sitting in the living room, I could see that clearly. It bugged the absolute crap out of me, but I seriously doubt that anyone else noticed it ever.

When I told my husband about the tile placement this evening (he's working out of town) he laughed and said, "You're right - I never would have noticed it. I don't even want to hear about it. I'm going to forget you said it and I bet I don't ever think about it again."

I will see it every single time I walk out that back door. Thanks a lot, Mexican music station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Ah, the Mexican way. One of the things you love and hate about Mexico. You love the casual nature about how they do things when you're on vacation. Then, if you try to do business the American way with them, it drives you nuts.

P.S. I "retired" early to Mexico, and moved back to the states after a year LOL.
Egads, I know what you mean.

These guys are really good at what they do, technically. This is the same crew who has been with my contractor for ten years or more. These are the same guys who spent a month in my house last year remodeling the kitchen and they did a GREAT job. But I did have to watch them when it came to "pretty" stuff. It's hard to explain - they are thorough but can suddenly ape out on something and the next thing you know I'm saying, "no, no, no, don't put that there - it has to be like THIS!"

I'm pretty sure that every one of these guys grew up in the US and went to school locally. But the minute I start getting specific with them, their ability to speak English suddenly flies out the window and they are looking at me with that deer in the headlights look.

True story:

I have been listening to Mexican music and Mexican radio for days now. It is truly some of the most awful stuff I have ever heard, but suddenly the other day, I realized that a song that was actually sort of nice was playing. A sort of slow jam, and I heard a word I understand being murmured by a man over and over again..."Amore, amore..." After one verse, I was actually humming along with him and thinking, "Wow, that's a really nice song."

And then, in the middle of the chorus, a HORSE started neighing!!!!! That's right - this was a song about a man loving his HORSE.

OMG.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
LOL, so true. And the culture won't allow them to say they don't understand or ask you any questions. They don't want to look incompetent, etc. Nod, nod, no problemo.... And if the tiles accidentally get mixed up, they're never going to come and tell you it happened and ask you to lay them out again.

Don't get me wrong, my best friend most of my life was Mexican with parents straight from Mexico and I love them dearly. But, if you know the culture, you know what I'm saying.

It would drive me nuts forever, too. But, nobody else will ever think it wasn't by design, I bet.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
LOL, so true. And the culture won't allow them to say they don't understand or ask you any questions. They don't want to look incompetent, etc. Nod, nod, no problemo.... And if the tiles accidentally get mixed up, they're never going to come and tell you it happened and ask you to lay them out again.

Don't get me wrong, my best friend most of my life was Mexican with parents straight from Mexico and I love them dearly. But, if you know the culture, you know what I'm saying.

It would drive me nuts forever, too. But, nobody else will ever think it wasn't by design, I bet.
I doubt (and hope) that nobody ever notices it!

Yes, I get what you mean totally about the culture. We have a huge Hispanic culture (mostly Mexican) here in Texas and I do really appreciate that culture and like the people. My oldest daughter dated two guys from Mexican families for over a year each when she was in high school and college and both guys were first generation Americans with large, extended families from Mexico. We grew to love their families and I really did think she was going to marry the last Hispanic guy she dated, which would have been fine with me because we loved him and his family. (However, she ended up dating and marrying a guy from a Czech family instead - second generation so the Czech mojo is still very strong - LOL - they have good food too.)

And of course, I've worked with many Hispanic folks over the years and have Hispanic neighbors, fellow church members, etc. And don't get me started on their contributions to the culinary scene -woohooooo!!!!

But I totally know what you're saying. That's why I've been putting up with the godawful Mexican music now for days and days and days and days and days and days... because I know they are in their groove and heaven forbid that I squelch that mojo. And you're right - they would never in a million years come tell me, "Ms Kathryn, we can't remember how you had the tiles laid out." No - they will just wing it and consider it good because technically they are laid very neatly and professionally.

Sigh. Talk about a first world problem. I'm having someone lay my tile. Many people would be trying to watch a Youtube video and do it themselves.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
My friends keep inviting me to these dumb Fitbit step contests.

So I put my Fitbit on my dog's collar the other day. She ran around a bit, but then she took a nap.

Can't put it on the more energetic dog bc she'd eat it.

Stoopid dogs.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
LOL. I love this thread.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:57 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
LOL. I love this thread.
Ditto!

I love the fitted sheet posts! My solution: I roll the dang thing in a ball and shove it in the chest with the rest of the rolled up sheets and pillowcases. Why bother folding any of it?

Old 09-25-2016, 12:56 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I've watched, over the last 3 years, maybe 10 videos on how to fold fitted sheets. Even Martha Stewart's! I still can't do it. Not even close. Low folding IQ? I fold everything else SO well and I can wrap packages beautifully. Sigh.
I think I've watched that, too. lol I just remember that the basic point is to get the rounded, uneven corners folded into the inside, so you can get nice, folded, squared-off edges on the outside. Whatever. lol

I remember half-listening to a conversation one time of some women discussing how to fold a fitted sheet. Up till then, I hadn't even known it was a problem. lol

Quote:
I just roll my sheets up into as close to a square as possible, and jam them into a drawer. Honestly, who cares. They're just going to go on a bed that will be slept on. No need for perfection there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Ditto!

I love the fitted sheet posts! My solution: I roll the dang thing in a ball and shove it in the chest with the rest of the rolled up sheets and pillowcases. Why bother folding any of it?
Lol! Basically what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
My mother used to tell the story of how when she first got married, she used to iron the sheets. And that she got over it. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, I iron everything.
Less now than before, but I've always been an ironer.
In high school, I ironed my jeans and the shirt or whatever I was wearing the next day.
I iron tablecloths if there is company.
I iron my 4 year old'son clothes if they're at all wrinkly.
I've even ironed scrubs if I thought they needed it.

But ironing bed sheets has truly never occurred to me. I mean, for real?
Lol! I was this close to bringing this up and posting, "Who the hell irons SHEETS?!" But I didn't want to offend. lol

I'm pretty much the opposite of you, stan4. I've only ironed a few times in my life. After that, I used a hand-held steamer a few times. Now, if I feel something needs "ironing," I just spritz it with a spray bottle filled with water. lol (This doesn't include the rare formal occasion.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
lol. Sometimes I just put it back on the bed and -- there's that problem solved!
That's another thing. I don't always have a spare set of sheets available. lol

Old 09-25-2016, 12:57 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My friends keep inviting me to these dumb Fitbit step contests.

So I put my Fitbit on my dog's collar the other day. She ran around a bit, but then she took a nap.

Can't put it on the more energetic dog bc she'd eat it.

Stoopid dogs.
Hahahaha!

Old 09-27-2016, 06:33 AM

I live in Texas and I'm not bilingual. This means that I can't understand what the DJs are screaming about on the Spanish radio station that the tile guys are listening to as they tear up my backyard.

I've been listening to this terrible station for days now. The music...OMG I don't know how they stand it, but I don't want to mess with their mojo as they work on my patio.

The other day, I FINALLY heard a song that was actually sort of nice. I kept hearing the word "amore" in it and the male singer was crooning it to someone...I actually thought to myself, "Now that's a nice love song."

Then - in the middle of the chorus - guess what started?

A HORSE NEIGHING.

This song was some guy's love song to his horse. Not a woman. A horse.

Maybe I don't want to be bilingual after all. Some thoughts you can't unthink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology