Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2020, 06:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

True story - happened just today:

My husband and I saw commercials yesterday for the local Home Show at the exhibit hall. So we said, "YAY! We have something interesting to do Saturday!" So we got up this morning and went to it.

Well, we went to the exhibit hall.

Our first hint that something was amiss should have been the extremely loud rap music in the parking lot, and the many lowriders on hydraulic lifts. But we just thought "Hm, there must be a car show in the parking lot."

The second hint, which we also didn't catch,was that we were the only people over age 30 or so going into the convention center. We did remark, however, that wow, things sure weren't crowded this year.

The third hint, which we FINALLY picked up on when we walked inside, was that this was a tattoo and lowrider show, because, well, because of the signs everywhere. And the tattoos everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 08:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
I hate filing taxes with every fibre of my being. Why can't the US government just rob our paychecks of whatever the designated tax bracket is, and then let tax filing be optional (if you think you're eligible for money back).

I hate the headache! I hired a CPA to deal with it, but I still have to fill out a 20 page form so they know how to file my taxes. Why tf did I even bother to hire them? Oh! I know!! Because taxes are made to be as ungodly complicated as possible, because the government is on the prowl for victims to trick into filling it out wrong so they can arrest them!

And apparently I can go straight to the fiery place for daring to have investment and bank accounts in my other home country! How dare people not live paycheck to paycheck!

Speaking of the fiery place, tax prep service lobbyists have a special VIP reservation there, complete with a complimentary flute of champagne of the blood of the baby goat I had to sacrifice on the second waning full moon in order to complete my tax preparation process. Actually, no. Taxes are more complicated than that. I also need imp tears; apparently mine aren't enough.

Tl;dr: taxes are gonna drive me to an early grave, omg. If I sound like I'm going bananas, it's because I AM.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I hate filing taxes with every fibre of my being. Why can't the US government just rob our paychecks of whatever the designated tax bracket is, and then let tax filing be optional (if you think you're eligible for money back).

I hate the headache! I hired a CPA to deal with it, but I still have to fill out a 20 page form so they know how to file my taxes. Why tf did I even bother to hire them? Oh! I know!! Because taxes are made to be as ungodly complicated as possible, because the government is on the prowl for victims to trick into filling it out wrong so they can arrest them!

And apparently I can go straight to the fiery place for daring to have investment and bank accounts in my other home country! How dare people not live paycheck to paycheck!

Speaking of the fiery place, tax prep service lobbyists have a special VIP reservation there, complete with a complimentary flute of champagne of the blood of the baby goat I had to sacrifice on the second waning full moon in order to complete my tax preparation process. Actually, no. Taxes are more complicated than that. I also need imp tears; apparently mine aren't enough.

Tl;dr: taxes are gonna drive me to an early grave, omg. If I sound like I'm going bananas, it's because I AM.
OMG I feel your pain.

I have started on baby steps to do our taxes this year. By "do," I mean of course exactly what you're describing - filling out a huge form (and amassing a large amount of information, some of which seems superfluous but who knows what they will need, right?) and gathering together what seems like hundreds of pieces of paper, scanning it all in, then turning it in and sweating bullets for a week or so before usually writing a bigger check than I expected to write but oh well.

I absolutely dread the tax prep thing from about November through March of every year. That is four months of every single year. UGH.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:15 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG I feel your pain.

I have started on baby steps to do our taxes this year. By "do," I mean of course exactly what you're describing - filling out a huge form (and amassing a large amount of information, some of which seems superfluous but who knows what they will need, right?) and gathering together what seems like hundreds of pieces of paper, scanning it all in, then turning it in and sweating bullets for a week or so before usually writing a bigger check than I expected to write but oh well.

I absolutely dread the tax prep thing from about November through March of every year. That is four months of every single year. UGH.
Aargh that sounds like hell, there's got to be a more reasonable system. And I'm trying to not even think of how much I'll probably owe (like every freaking year). I need to preserve 1 iota of sanity at least lol.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Aargh that sounds like hell, there's got to be a more reasonable system. And I'm trying to not even think of how much I'll probably owe (like every freaking year). I need to preserve 1 iota of sanity at least lol.
I can't think about it. We are self employed and we always have plenty of money set aside to pay our taxes but still...I just hate writing that check...

Old 02-12-2020, 10:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
I am fasting tonight before an early morning blood test which will no doubt tell the doc that my cholesterol is high, because it always is.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:09 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
My feet are cold, and I can't find any matching knee socks. The dryer ate them all.

The cat doesn't like any of the flavors of the new cat food I bought, since I thought she was probably bored with turkey and cheese all the time.

I need some new clothes, but can't find anything that fits properly and looks good.

So I am heading to the supermarket to get multiple cans of turkey and cheese cat food, then running by the clothing store to buy multiple sets of black knee socks.

Not much I can do about new clothes (other than black knee socks), unless I hire a tailor to create bespoke attire for me. Not being Prince Charles or any of his kin, I doubt that will happen. So my old clothes will just have to go to the cleaner's, or at least the washer and dryer, once again...

Bah, humbug!

Old 02-16-2020, 06:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
The annoyance of stupidity, such as going to read the Q & A's for some product on Amazon and seeing a number of people answering with,'I don't know - I haven't tried it yet.' People act like the question is directed toward them personally.

Reading book reviews from people who hated the book and gave it one star, stating they couldn't get past the first chapter.

The washer and/or dryer messing with me by turning my sleeves inside out.

Having to wait for the dropped vpn to reconnect at work. What a waste of seconds....lol.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:37 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
My feet are cold, and I can't find any matching knee socks. The dryer ate them all.

The cat doesn't like any of the flavors of the new cat food I bought, since I thought she was probably bored with turkey and cheese all the time.

I need some new clothes, but can't find anything that fits properly and looks good.

So I am heading to the supermarket to get multiple cans of turkey and cheese cat food, then running by the clothing store to buy multiple sets of black knee socks.

Not much I can do about new clothes (other than black knee socks), unless I hire a tailor to create bespoke attire for me. Not being Prince Charles or any of his kin, I doubt that will happen. So my old clothes will just have to go to the cleaner's, or at least the washer and dryer, once again...

Bah, humbug!
Oh my gosh, my sister sent me an electric foot warming pouch thingy. It is the bomb. I love this thing.

I have absurdly long legs and I am always shopping for pants. There's nothing in a store for me. There is, but they cost more than $200. No thanks.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:44 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
I showed my husband a bunch of cooking recipe ideas.

He vetoed them all because they're not "humble" enough.

...the recipes were actually Great Depression recipes.
Geezer cough. That is seriously funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology