Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 06:48 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Speaking of nails. I started taking vitamin D and now my nails grow so fast that I have to cut them every week. Such a strain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 08:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I've been painting a little nook area in my house and having to climb up and down a ladder, which is sort of scary. I finally figured out that I better keep my phone with me in case I fall, which would suck. Now I'm worried about getting paint on my phone.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:09 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, I feel your pain. I collected a set of china when I was a teenager so had a full set when I got married. Then everyday dishes of course, which were crap so I eventually replaced them. Then I moved to Germany and discovered Polish pottery and have been collecting that for decades. When I married my husband, he had a set of everyday dishes (pretty nice set) and a vast set of china that his mother had given him, which his dad had brought home from Europe in the 1940s. Then my grandmother left me another even larger set (settings for 12 plus about a gazillion serving dishes) of china. AND all her vintage Fiesta Ware.

I am glad we have five kids, is all I can say, because for years I've been unloading stuff onto them!
I have a feeling my kids won’t want them.

The last set of dishes I unloaded were given to a college kid. They were ultimately left on the doorstep of a Goodwill at night after said kid graduated.

I have pieces of my mother’s china boxed up in my pantry. I have kept several pieces for myself, for sentimental reasons, but I need to dispose of the rest. No one wants the old china, though. Even I don’t want the old china.

The set I am disposing of is very, very complete. Even though it is a bit beat up, and out of style, the completeness of the set should count for something.

Using my new china, makes me happy.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have a feeling my kids won’t want them.

The last set of dishes I unloaded were given to a college kid. They were ultimately left on the doorstep of a Goodwill at night after said kid graduated.

I have pieces of my mother’s china boxed up in my pantry. I have kept several pieces for myself, for sentimental reasons, but I need to dispose of the rest. No one wants the old china, though. Even I don’t want the old china.

The set I am disposing of is very, very complete. Even though it is a bit beat up, and out of style, the completeness of the set should count for something.

Using my new china, makes me happy.
Well, it will probably come back in style and complete sets will all be the rage, since everyone is getting rid of them currently! Tis the nature of trends and fashion.

Same with "brown" furniture (aka as wood furniture which generally shows off the grain of the wood). Once everyone slaps chalk paint on everything, "brown" furniture will be the rage. Watch and see.

Not that it matters - I think people should do what they want to do with their stuff and just be happy!

Right now my daughter lives in Germany and she has an antique dealer as a neighbor (jealous, but I digress). He asked her what she wanted him to be on the lookout for, and she said, "I want one of those painted armoires painted in the 1700s or 1800s." He was absolutely amazed. "You WANT one of those? Well OK. Strange." That's what he said. It might actually be a little hard to find though because a few years ago the rage there was to strip that "old paint" off and then either leave the wood bare or maybe slap a coat of shiny black paint on it.

My mom used to tell me about how one time she was in the Appalachians and she found an old pie safe, complete, with beautifully crafted pierced metal doors, for about $10 in a junk shop. It was old old old and beautiful, but at the time, this look wasn't in style and so she just shrugged and went on her way.

TOO MUCH STUFF - WE HAVE TOO MUCH STUFF! Now THAT is a first world problem. I guess we could dump our china and do like they do in some Third World countries - sit around a fire outside, pass a communal wooden bowl around, and eat with our fingers.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:47 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
New neighbors are moving in. Teenage kid can't keep his hands off his genitals out in the yard. (Genitals are attached to the teenager's body... not just IN the yard loosey-goosey.)
My kitchen sink where I do my dishes has a window with no view but the neighbor's backyard... which now has a teenager rearranging his genitals incessantly.
The mother must have told him to unpack his belongings. He misunderstood her words.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Well, it will probably come back in style and complete sets will all be the rage, since everyone is getting rid of them currently! Tis the nature of trends and fashion.

Same with "brown" furniture (aka as wood furniture which generally shows off the grain of the wood). Once everyone slaps chalk paint on everything, "brown" furniture will be the rage. Watch and see.

Not that it matters - I think people should do what they want to do with their stuff and just be happy!

Right now my daughter lives in Germany and she has an antique dealer as a neighbor (jealous, but I digress). He asked her what she wanted him to be on the lookout for, and she said, "I want one of those painted armoires painted in the 1700s or 1800s." He was absolutely amazed. "You WANT one of those? Well OK. Strange." That's what he said. It might actually be a little hard to find though because a few years ago the rage there was to strip that "old paint" off and then either leave the wood bare or maybe slap a coat of shiny black paint on it.

My mom used to tell me about how one time she was in the Appalachians and she found an old pie safe, complete, with beautifully crafted pierced metal doors, for about $10 in a junk shop. It was old old old and beautiful, but at the time, this look wasn't in style and so she just shrugged and went on her way.

TOO MUCH STUFF - WE HAVE TOO MUCH STUFF! Now THAT is a first world problem. I guess we could dump our china and do like they do in some Third World countries - sit around a fire outside, pass a communal wooden bowl around, and eat with our fingers.
Yes, but how would we eat salad?

Old 04-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, but how would we eat salad?
See, this blows the whole communal bowl thing for me right here.

Also, black eyed peas...or goulash. See? This just won't work.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
See, this blows the whole communal bowl thing for me right here.

Also, black eyed peas...or goulash. See? This just won't work.
Or tapioca? Or ice cream?

Old 04-02-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Or tapioca? Or ice cream?
Right!

Old 04-02-2019, 07:57 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Hubby tried to replace one of 4 lightbulbs in a ceiling fan over our bed with a bulb that looks bluer than the other 3. Of course, this needs to be corrected by sundown today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology