Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 PM

3,906 posts, read 4,559,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Dont be influenced by someone who alleges 500 FB friends. that means nothing. big whoop.. so someone has had the ability to have some faceless stranger "like" them. that means nothing. you dont think they are REALLY spending time in real life with 500 people who might be all over the world. so that means NOTHING!!!

so now you want to try to work up 70 people as if thats some huge accomplishment..

I hope you understand that im telling you not to feel bad because someone has 500 "freinds" and you only have 70 "friends"
Hmmm....

Well, thanks, I think, for the lecture, but I may not have made myself clear and puzzled by your reaction.

I said I'm overwhelmed with 70 FB "friends". I don't have an aspiration to collect more. I'm actually reluctant to confirm a request, and I'm finding that the more I have on the roster, the less time I'm spending time on FB. Looking at other peoples daily lives and thoughts and pictures of kids at their piano lessons, and pictures of pizza etc. drains me.

As for the person with the 500 friends. Somehow you interpreted this as something I'm envious of? Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly.

I'm aware that it would be very difficult to maintain anything close to a real friendship with 500 plus souls. I'm sure they've been collected through online groups or what have you. The thing is she's on Facebook a lot, constantly interacting with all these clamoring "voices".

As someone who's quite introverted myself, I was just wondering, because I've always thought someone who is "introverted" (thus the original post) would want so many "connections".

So just to be clear, no I don't feel I've "accomplished" anything because I now have 70 FB friends.

I do have a few good friends in real life, a wonderful husband and a good relationship with my kids.
This is what I value most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 07:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 6,370,661 times
I am an introvert, noted as INTJ the last time I took the Meyers/Briggs test. I strongly dislike Facebook and social media in general. The only social media site I use is LinkedIn so that I don't totally lose contact with former co-workers.

I have a Facebook account that I keep pretty much inactive. I do not have any Facebook friends, literally zero. My family constantly bugs me to join Facebook as that has become their chosen method for maintaining daily contact. I refuse to utilize Facebook because too many features are downright annoying and I do not like the concept of losing control over my personal details, understanding full well that some parts of my personal information are in fact already beyond my control even without the effect of social media. Now I know that Facebook can be managed and I have researched that possibility but it just seemed to me that it would be the equivalent of yet another job on top of all my other current responsibilities.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:58 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,514,424 times
Indeed I'm an introvert and I do FB, but i rarely post. I mostly just lurk and like. I update my status maybe once a week if thar, and it's usually an article or something like that. I only have 4 pictures of myself up over the past 7 years I've had the account, but I have about 300 pictures of various other things. Guess that's what I use it for mostly...posting pictures I took that I like and want to share. Heh.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,762,666 times
I'm somewhere in between introvert and extrovert, and I recently made the choice to delete my Facebook account. I spent many months wondering if I should delete it or not, and I kept it active because I feared that people would think I'm strange for not having a Facebook (almost everybody and their dog uses Facebook these days). But recently, I nonetheless decided to take the plunge and delete the account. Let me say that I'm glad I did. It's a feeling of peace!

If I were to meet someone new, and that person considers me strange after finding out that I don't have a Facebook, so what? They should've met me when I still had one.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:22 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,293,552 times
I've been asked by relatives to get one. They put all the family photos on it. My mil and fil have one which is blank and says nothing but they can go and look at the families stuff. But I find it odd to want to stick you name and your whole life on a website complete with pictures. Yes, I'm an introvert, very solidly an introvert, and privacy is wired in.

I also would be able to look for some old friends, which might be interesting. But then I'm still not sure I'd want to.

I've had hard parts in life and trust me but others not so much, and part of my sense of security is that I only let in those who I want so I just don't see how people splatter their life with all the details all over the place. I love message boards partly because I started my online life with private dial up bbs's and then the private networks like Rime, and was on Fido past the internet. I can be out there as me but keep my private things private.

Actually, I think people actually are more open and say more real things when you live through a screen name over having your real one available.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:25 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,194,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I'm somewhere in between introvert and extrovert, and I recently made the choice to delete my Facebook account. I spent many months wondering if I should delete it or not, and I kept it active because I feared that people would think I'm strange for not having a Facebook (almost everybody and their dog uses Facebook these days). But recently, I nonetheless decided to take the plunge and delete the account. Let me say that I'm glad I did. It's a feeling of peace!

If I were to meet someone new, and that person considers me strange after finding out that I don't have a Facebook, so what? They should've met me when I still had one.

Lol I actually love it when I find others (like me) who don't do Fakebook....

So far, I've only encountered 3 men in the past few years that loathe FB
as much as I do, and have never had one

I find that men who don't post every thought, every tidbit about their days.....
to be much, much more fascinating & mysterious than
the narcissistic types that beg for attention out there.....

Introverts like us are rare.... but that's a good thing

Btw each of those relationships were soulmate connections

Old 07-03-2015, 11:51 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,689,772 times
Yes I do, mostly because I have a huge extended family. It really makes communicating with everyone so much easier since some of us are spread out. I also use it to coordinate everything with my nursing class. We're so busy all the time and everything is chaotic. This helps us keep what's going on straight.

Last edited by ShinyHappyLucy; 07-04-2015 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-04-2015, 01:04 AM

38,970 posts, read 22,975,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Yes I do, mostly because I have a huge extended family. It really makes communicating with everyone so much easier since some of us are spread out. I also use it to coordinate everything with my nursing class. We're so busy all the time and everything is chaotic. This help us keep what's going on straight.
^^^ This is me as well. I have family spread out in different areas of the country and also overseas. Having a Facebook account makes it easy for all of us to stay in touch. I also use my Facebook account to get news stories that interest me.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:59 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,196,262 times
The only reason I'm on Facebook is to keep in touch with old friends. The people who actually matter know how to reach me outside of Facebook.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:40 AM

232 posts, read 361,243 times
Hell. No.

I don't like social media because it promotes faulty friendships, artificial friendships, and produces unnecessary drama in many occasions.

I'd rather talk to a friend or family member in person. Plus I find it extremely fascinating to observe people's expressions when discussing anything. Expressions allow me to determine if an individual is being realistic or faulty with a conversation, this is tough to detect via things like Facebook where you can't see people face to face. Oh, and I guess Facebook would be nice if I was nosy, but I'd rather be nosy and ask direct questions upfront instead of stalking a person on a media site and observing every one of their posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology