Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:17 PM

3,303 posts, read 3,031,394 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone here saw the PostSecret entry this week from the kid who sent in a postcard of a hallway in his or her high school, with the caption: "According to Facebook, I have 156 friends in my high school...but I eat lunch alone. in this hallway. every day."

For me, that about sums up the value of a Facebook "friend."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:30 PM

37,145 posts, read 42,240,055 times
No I don't. I tried but it felt weird and forced plus I don't know enough people who use it. Plus I fall into the "social media is evil" camp

Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
No. I don't like other people sticking their noses in my business, especially nosey coworkers. Seems like that's what most people use it for is to be nosey.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:23 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times
I've said this before but I really don't like Facebook. I was talking to an internet friend on there sometimes but haven't in a while. I didn't really want to but she felt more comfortable on there talking instead of the app we "met" on. So it's one of those things where it seems like you have to have one. I guess I don't mind the messenger too much but any time I start to look at the wall I can only look for like 5 minutes if that and then I get really bored.
The thing I really hate about Facebook is like I said it seems like a necessity these days. If you want to get a job, employers can ask for them and I have heard that if you're not really posting on there it can look like you have something to hide. It doesn't necessarily have to be Facebook. You can have a LinkedIn but that just seems like a professional version of Facebook to me. Just because I'm uncomfortable with putting myself in the spotlight doesn't mean I wouldn't be the perfect fit for the job. In fact shouldn't that be a good thing? If I don't like the attention brought on me I would be more inclined to put the attention on the company.
I hate the games too. There are a few on IOS that I have to login to with facebook but I never play the games on the page. I'm not sure why but I even hate the hidden objects ones because I normally love those when I play them through a download.

I love message boards obviously because they're anonymous. I did like Myspace when it was popular but that was mainly because you could put music playlists on there and it just felt more anonymous for some reason even though you're putting your name. I didn't post on there much either though. I just liked customizing my page.
To me Facebook is just a symbol that you have to be like everyone else and strive to be popular otherwise you'll never get anywhere in life.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:37 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
I sure wish Facebook would go the way of MySpace. Its annoying when shopping online and they want to show what you bought on your Facebook page. Who the heck cares that I just bought a toaster online, and why is it anyone's business.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:01 PM

392 posts, read 920,518 times
Oh, no, I am not an FB person! I do have a page, and do have friends, and whenever I meet someone usually at friends' gathering - i eventually get friend requests, which I honor. but... just like the OP, I prefer city-data (and couple of other forums), and I almost force myself to send messages on FB - because some of my friends only communicate through FB, not email or phone call will do. And to show them that I am thinking about them, and care about them - I have to use FB.
I also don't post pictures of my kids.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
I'm an introvert and I am anti-social media. Never understood why anyone would want to advertise their lives on a web page. If I want someone to see a certain pic I will text/email it to them. If I wanted to chat with someone, I will either call/text/email them. Don't see the need to post every aspect of my life on a page for the world to see.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 AM

11,376 posts, read 9,291,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
Oh, no, I am not an FB person! I do have a page, and do have friends, and whenever I meet someone usually at friends' gathering - i eventually get friend requests, which I honor. but... just like the OP, I prefer city-data (and couple of other forums), and I almost force myself to send messages on FB - because some of my friends only communicate through FB, not email or phone call will do. And to show them that I am thinking about them, and care about them - I have to use FB.
I also don't post pictures of my kids.
They sure don't seem to me to care about you or your wishes not to have a facebook page. You don't "have to" do this if you don't want to. They don't seem much like real life friends to me.
So why should you care about them?

Your choice but I would not want "friends" like this. No Facebook, no friend of mine?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:50 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,546,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Background:
Most of my life I've considered myself an introvert, but I test as an ENTJ.

I love finding out a "friend" came to town and didn't bother calling to at least meet up for lunch.
Oh yeah, I took that class a long time ago in a community college class. Meyers/Briggs thing. According to that, I'm an INFP. The introvert tested very extreme so I had to work on that a bit to be more "balanced"

Sigh... I really don't like the whole "friends" label. It trivializes what a friend is. When I first made an account I had a request from someone I hadn't heard from for a while, but when I suggested going out to lunch and catching up "because I'm old fashioned" I told her, I never got a reply. Yet I "see" her around the Facebook. It's fine... but still...

Old 12-11-2014, 11:00 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,812,683 times
Nope, I don't want "Face" time. I am an INTJ but I don't like the dynamics of Facebook. I never have. That and the app takes a lot of space and will drain your battery. Try it, your phone will get hot. Google Play STINKS!! I think Facebook is brilliant for the social people though. It gives them something to do..

And I am social on my job. All day, every day ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Oh yeah, I took that class a long time ago in a community college class. Meyers/Briggs thing. According to that, I'm an INFP. The introvert tested very extreme so I had to work on that a bit to be more "balanced"

Sigh... I really don't like the whole "friends" label. It trivializes what a friend is. When I first made an account I had a request from someone I hadn't heard from for a while, but when I suggested going out to lunch and catching up "because I'm old fashioned" I told her, I never got a reply. Yet I "see" her around the Facebook. It's fine... but still...

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 12-11-2014 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology