Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 AM

10,117 posts, read 7,785,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
The mother appears to be into attention-seeking behavior. Huge red flag when it comes to mental health. And yes, people like that often love kids because they tend to provide a lot of attention and attract a lot of attention. The daughters likely picked up some of this and this is possibly why they seek out abusive relationships which generate... a lot of attention.

Weird, sick, sad cycle.
That makes a lot of sense. They like attention even if the wrong kind i.e. tops where their boobs are practically out for all to see.

Is this something that can ever be fixed or improved upon? The mother of these 3 girls used to go to a psychiatrist but don't know if she still is. Maybe she needs to find a new one that can point this out to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,387,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
That makes a lot of sense. They like attention even if the wrong kind i.e. tops where their boobs are practically out for all to see.

Is this something that can ever be fixed or improved upon? The mother of these 3 girls used to go to a psychiatrist but don't know if she still is. Maybe she needs to find a new one that can point this out to her.
She knows. She doesn't care enough to make an effort to change. Besides, her childen are adults now. That's really up to them.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,179,019 times
Quote:
I have noticed that what stands out to me in the mom is that she is extremely talkative and will talk continually without taking a breath. She also loves to brag about how this random guy thinks she is pretty or how this guy whistled. She likes to tell you how others think she is pretty or smart or other great thing. She isn't ugly but she's not all that. She's not as pretty as she'd like to think. She also exaggerates a lot by embellishing a story she is telling. Let's just say you can't always believe 100% of what she is saying.

Also something I notice about her and her 3 girls is that they all dress to show off their body i.e. very low cut tops and short skirts/shorts. Maybe if they grew up to dress classier they would have made classier friends. ?? The lady is dating again and the guy that she is dating is trying to get her to dress more conservative now and she seems to be trying to class it up but the kids still dress like Walmartians.
As another poster commented, this attention seeking behavior on the mothers part has certainly played a large part in this.

I have a sister that is exactly like what you described these girls as.

We came from a horrific family situation, and she learned how to be exactly like my parents and then some. They thrived on the drama with her, and I was always the one who was made to feel bad because I thought I was "better than everyone" because I did not like to deal with it.

In the end, I haven't talked to that sister or my parents in over 9 years, and it has been the best 9 years of my life. From what I understand, this sister has gotten way worse over the years and was involved in smoking crack and a host of other nonsense.

Even though these girls and the mom "idolize" the father doesn't mean he was a good guy. He could have played a large part in this as well. Losing their father at a young age probably escalated the attention seeking from men. To these kinds of women, they love the negative attention, probably even more than the positive attention. It is a rush, a high, and in their deluded minds, think it proves how much these men love them that they are willing to fight (or possibly kill) them.

Crazy world out these.

I agree with the poster who commented on the peers too. My crazy sister always associated with the worst of the worst in our neighborhood, at school, etc. That definitely played a part in the way she ended up.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
I do think the way one was raised and one's peers do have a major impact on how you turn out, but I have seen quite a few people raised right, had good friends, etc, just totally run off the rails somewhere. Sometimes there really is no explanation other than poor personal decisions.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,626,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
As another poster commented, this attention seeking behavior on the mothers part has certainly played a large part in this.

I have a sister that is exactly like what you described these girls as.

We came from a horrific family situation, and she learned how to be exactly like my parents and then some. They thrived on the drama with her, and I was always the one who was made to feel bad because I thought I was "better than everyone" because I did not like to deal with it.

In the end, I haven't talked to that sister or my parents in over 9 years, and it has been the best 9 years of my life. From what I understand, this sister has gotten way worse over the years and was involved in smoking crack and a host of other nonsense.

Even though these girls and the mom "idolize" the father doesn't mean he was a good guy. He could have played a large part in this as well. Losing their father at a young age probably escalated the attention seeking from men. To these kinds of women, they love the negative attention, probably even more than the positive attention. It is a rush, a high, and in their deluded minds, think it proves how much these men love them that they are willing to fight (or possibly kill) them.

Crazy world out these.

I agree with the poster who commented on the peers too. My crazy sister always associated with the worst of the worst in our neighborhood, at school, etc. That definitely played a part in the way she ended up.
Sounds like my situation... except I'm an only child. Had some very bad things happen to me and I'm looking to move to better my life. Proving to be challenging.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
She knows. She doesn't care enough to make an effort to change. Besides, her childen are adults now. That's really up to them.
She knows she loves the negative attention?

I unfortunately have to be around this woman at times even though it makes my stomach tense up. Next time she starts a long sad story about one of her kids or a story about how some random guy told her she is pretty, what can I do or say to let her know I don't really care to hear it?

I don't want to feed into her stories or to give her the attention that she seeks yet I want to be cordial because I do have to be around her at times...can't just walk away from her or avoid her totally. Thankfully it is very rare I see her kids.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. It really is helping me to get insight to this type personality and to understand a little more.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,675,603 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses.

As I said, this family fascinates me. I know the woman a little but the little I do talk to her it's all drama.

I really doubt the kids were abused. Each kid seems to really love their dad. Only reason why I say this is that they post his pics on Facebook for Father's Day and old pics of him with the children. They post how they love and miss their daddy and think of him often. That would make perfect sense if they were abused though but I don't think so but of course what do I know.

Each of the kids has a Facebook page and one can learn so much about them just reading their pages. Right now the one that had one of her baby daddy's arrested for domestic abuse and told not to contact him, is liking things on HIS Facebook page and they are communicating that way for all to see.

I found one Twitter page of another kid with naked pics of her whole body and she tweets things like meth is the best.

The other is the one married to a good-for-nothing lazy sit at home all day and get in trouble with drugs.

For curiosity I click on their friends and most friends of all the girls seem to also lead dysfunctional lives with being poor, no transportation, money, unemployed and talking gangster and lacking morals. They seem to hang with like people.

Sure I've heard of many kids where they had no dad figure growing up and they turn out just great or normal. I would still find it odd that all 3 of these turned out awful.

The mom seems to really miss her deceased husband and has nothing but love for him. She wil post about him on his death anniversary every year and how she misses him and the kids miss him and how they think of him often and all love him, etc.

The mom does see a counselor and has been on meds for depression. She seems happiest when she is with her grandchildren. She loves babysitting and being a care-giver. She talks about her grand kids and children or herself all the time.

I have noticed that what stands out to me in the mom is that she is extremely talkative and will talk continually without taking a breath. She also loves to brag about how this random guy thinks she is pretty or how this guy whistled. She likes to tell you how others think she is pretty or smart or other great thing. She isn't ugly but she's not all that. She's not as pretty as she'd like to think. She also exaggerates a lot by embellishing a story she is telling. Let's just say you can't always believe 100% of what she is saying.

Also something I notice about her and her 3 girls is that they all dress to show off their body i.e. very low cut tops and short skirts/shorts. Maybe if they grew up to dress classier they would have made classier friends. ?? The lady is dating again and the guy that she is dating is trying to get her to dress more conservative now and she seems to be trying to class it up but the kids still dress like Walmartians.

I don't know why this family is so interesting to me. Maybe it's because I have never known a family like this before where all the kids are always in such trouble and none seem to be capable of making a good decision. I don't get it. As an outsider it's easy to see their mistakes and I would think they could see how to improve their lives but they refuse and keep doing stupid things over and over to make their lives even worse. I truly want to shake them and knock some sense in them or at least take them all in to talk to someone wise that can help teach them how to start making better decisions. The whole situation puzzles me.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.”

― Dale Carnegie

Old 06-17-2014, 09:51 AM

305 posts, read 655,743 times
You said yourself
Quote:
I believe she enables them and actually feeds off their drama in some strange way.

That, to me, sounds like their upbringing is a major contributor to their present problems especially because all 3 kids have the same problems.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:52 AM

188 posts, read 250,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patroll View Post
there is no such thing as born gay

I get that you're an obvious troll/crazyperson who is wrong on just about everything you said in your post but, I am pretty sure you're wrong on this too.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
You said yourself

That, to me, sounds like their upbringing is a major contributor to their present problems especially because all 3 kids have the same problems.

Yep, it's called tough love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology