Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,486 times

Advertisements

Ok, so, in my opinion, oftentimes the pressure for a man to be somewhat chauvinistic comes from, dare I say it, females themselves. In this day and age, young men and women are generally taught, assuming that the household is stable, that they can do whatever they want upon adulthood. Heck, there are more women in college than men. Of course men are going to perceive themselves as superior purely based on the fact that for the most part they are physically stronger than women. This is not an affront to women; tall, strong men also see themselves as superior to short, weak men. Herein lies the problem: So do women. Big, strong tough guys are still the kings of the male world. We like to consider this society enlightened and progressive...but at the end of the day, many if not most women prefer a strong "man's man" for a mate. Also, if, for example, a man is dating a woman and decides that he wants to learn to crochet or do something considered feminine...the woman very often does not react well. She doesn't want her boyfriend to seem effeminate. Also, on a related note, literally every single girl I've asked {roughly 20...not too many, but still...} has said that she would kill for a guy just to push her up against a wall and kiss her. They want a man to take charge...but in today's society, men won't do that 'cause we think it's a) creepy and b) a precursor to a knee to the balls. Also, if one looks to studies on sexuality and bedroom "kinks," one can see that MANY women like their man to take charge in the bedroom...I'm not saying whips and chains, but being held down and whatnot. It's natural for women to want a man who can protect them with his strength and manliness...but it comes with side effects. If men are told by females that they need to be able to protect women...they're going to develop some sense of superiority as the "caretaker." Now, keep in mind, I'm just a 19-year-old guy, so I've never been married or had experience in the "real world"...but stats are open to everyone regardless of age, and my limited experience has been quite educational. And yes, I'm 5'6" and nerdy, but no, I'm not bitter or letting it cloud anything. I'm not miffed that evolution says tall guys are more appealing...it makes sense. I'm not sad about being 5'6"...adorable and cute may not be "hot" or "sexy," but I'll deal...plus, picking things up is legitimately easier being closer to the ground and all. Last, but not least, I would like to say that I support chauvinism. If feminism, allegedly the exact opposite of chauvinism is socially acceptable, then I believe chauvinism should be too. As Voltaire said, "I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." So, yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,429,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy93 View Post
Ok, so, in my opinion, oftentimes the pressure for a man to be somewhat chauvinistic comes from, dare I say it, females themselves. In this day and age, young men and women are generally taught, assuming that the household is stable, that they can do whatever they want upon adulthood. Heck, there are more women in college than men. Of course men are going to perceive themselves as superior purely based on the fact that for the most part they are physically stronger than women. This is not an affront to women; tall, strong men also see themselves as superior to short, weak men. Herein lies the problem: So do women. Big, strong tough guys are still the kings of the male world. We like to consider this society enlightened and progressive...but at the end of the day, many if not most women prefer a strong "man's man" for a mate. Also, if, for example, a man is dating a woman and decides that he wants to learn to crochet or do something considered feminine...the woman very often does not react well. She doesn't want her boyfriend to seem effeminate. Also, on a related note, literally every single girl I've asked {roughly 20...not too many, but still...} has said that she would kill for a guy just to push her up against a wall and kiss her. They want a man to take charge...but in today's society, men won't do that 'cause we think it's a) creepy and b) a precursor to a knee to the balls. Also, if one looks to studies on sexuality and bedroom "kinks," one can see that MANY women like their man to take charge in the bedroom...I'm not saying whips and chains, but being held down and whatnot. It's natural for women to want a man who can protect them with his strength and manliness...but it comes with side effects. If men are told by females that they need to be able to protect women...they're going to develop some sense of superiority as the "caretaker." Now, keep in mind, I'm just a 19-year-old guy, so I've never been married or had experience in the "real world"...but stats are open to everyone regardless of age, and my limited experience has been quite educational. And yes, I'm 5'6" and nerdy, but no, I'm not bitter or letting it cloud anything. I'm not miffed that evolution says tall guys are more appealing...it makes sense. I'm not sad about being 5'6"...adorable and cute may not be "hot" or "sexy," but I'll deal...plus, picking things up is legitimately easier being closer to the ground and all. Last, but not least, I would like to say that I support chauvinism. If feminism, allegedly the exact opposite of chauvinism is socially acceptable, then I believe chauvinism should be too. As Voltaire said, "I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." So, yeah.
You've got your act together...and are very insightful. Great post.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 AM

This is my thread and I've hardly said anything, which is atypical of me.

What bites my a$$ is this, and I learned this growing up - from late high school, college, the work place. It is perfectly ok in modern societies for a woman to be a biotch to men, and no one calls her on it, but God forbid a man would exhibit "reciprocal" behavior to someone who acts like a biotch.

If NOT in a work setting, I have NO problem exhibiting this "reciprocal" behavior and, let me tell you, they are stunned.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 07-31-2012 at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM

442 posts, read 616,659 times
@collegeguy93....you wrote an interesting post. However chauvinism and misogyny extend well beyond how women relate romantically.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This is my thread and I've hardly said anything, which is atypical of me.

What bites my a$$ is this, and I learned this growing up - from late high school, college, the work place. It is perfectly ok in modern societies for a woman to be a biotch to men, and no one calls her on it, but God forbid a man would exhibit "reciprocal" behavior to someone who acts like a biotch.

If NOT in a work setting, I have NO problem exhibiting this "reciprocal" behavior and, let me tell you, they are stunned.
example?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
example?
Several:

(1) In a school or social setting, I have seen girls/women be totally nasty and disdainful to guys who asked them out. A guy who is "hit on" and is not interested tactfully worms his way out of it to not hurt a woman's feelings.

(2) In a work setting, "male feminist" types champion girls/women that shouldn't be championed - they "daddy" them, and they have bolted for other employers or left to start families, while guys starting out have to slog it through. In most cases, these women were not the type the entity should have been "investing" in, and it was more about their "eye candy" value.

If I see situation (1) occurring near me, I will let them hear what I think. Now that's not supposed to happen, is it? I was recently in Venice (the real one), and this one American chick was being a total biotch to someone because she expected to find America or something, and, observing this nearby, the last thing she expected is an American to rip her a new one while explaining to the Italian person waiting on her that this d-b was the quintessential "ugly American."

Essentially, a list about as long as half my arm.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 08-01-2012 at 07:49 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 PM

102,281 posts, read 108,356,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy93 View Post
Ok, so, in my opinion, oftentimes the pressure for a man to be somewhat chauvinistic comes from, dare I say it, females themselves. In this day and age, young men and women are generally taught, assuming that the household is stable, that they can do whatever they want upon adulthood. Heck, there are more women in college than men. Of course men are going to perceive themselves as superior purely based on the fact that for the most part they are physically stronger than women. This is not an affront to women; tall, strong men also see themselves as superior to short, weak men. Herein lies the problem: So do women. Big, strong tough guys are still the kings of the male world. We like to consider this society enlightened and progressive...but at the end of the day, many if not most men prefer a strong "man's man" for a mate. Also, if, for example, a man is dating a woman and decides that he wants to learn to crochet or do something considered feminine...the woman very often does not react well. She doesn't want her boyfriend to seem effeminate. Also, on a related note, literally every single girl I've asked {roughly 20...not too many, but still...} has said that she would kill for a guy just to push her up against a wall and kiss her. They want a man to take charge...but in today's society, men won't do that 'cause we think it's a) creepy and b) a precursor to a knee to the balls. Also, if one looks to studies on sexuality and bedroom "kinks," one can see that MANY women like their man to take charge in the bedroom...I'm not saying whips and chains, but being held down and whatnot. It's natural for women to want a man who can protect them with his strength and manliness...but it comes with side effects. If men are told by females that they need to be able to protect women...they're going to develop some sense of superiority as the "caretaker." Now, keep in mind, I'm just a 19-year-old guy, so I've never been married or had experience in the "real world"...but stats are open to everyone regardless of age, and my limited experience has been quite educational. And yes, I'm 5'6" and nerdy, but no, I'm not bitter or letting it cloud anything. I'm not miffed that evolution says tall guys are more appealing...it makes sense. I'm not sad about being 5'6"...adorable and cute may not be "hot" or "sexy," but I'll deal...plus, picking things up is legitimately easier being closer to the ground and all. Last, but not least, I would like to say that I support chauvinism. If feminism, allegedly the exact opposite of chauvinism is socially acceptable, then I believe chauvinism should be too. As Voltaire said, "I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." So, yeah.
These are cliches. You sound like you grew up in the 1950's. It shows that you're just 19 and don't have real life experience. I'm guessing you're from a traditional household, where Dad called the shots. That's not representative of the majority. Times changed before you were born.

Some women still like the macho take-charge type, but most women expect to share decision-making in the couple and household today. Many women go for the kinder, gentler, anti-macho kind of guy, or the intellectual types. It's funny--I'm always the one shoving a guy against the wall and kissing him, and the guys dig it. I wouldn't want it done to me, though. Too freaky, too closely insinuating of violence.
Women LOVE "cute" and "adorable"! Don't knock it! Don't buy into today's hyper-sexualized climate. Cute is good! P.S. Men who are good at sewing and are really creative are HOT!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,848,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
Sure chauvinism exists, and it is not dead.
You want to keep it alive- go ahead. If you want to focus on it and fixate on these idiots it's up to you. Some things are to be ignored......if everyone who was civilized gave these people no credit or importance..they would fade away. Yes there are still some pockets of it..but they are small and of no consequence..No one can keep a good man or woman down. If you believe they can oppress you- it will happen.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:59 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,848,394 times
With this Virgin Mary business old Catholic thought in some was that every woman is tainted with evil except for their mother..Look at the way an old school Italian would react..if you said something negative about their father- The young Italian would let it slide...Say something about their mother...and they want to kill you- because their mother is a virgin- much like the "virgin" Mary...These types of babyish men look at their brides as virgins- once they are married the wife is trash for having sex and their mother is higher in status...

The old testament stuff about Eve being tempted by Satan and being responsible for the fall of mankind from Grace is a load of crap..When EVE took the 'apple' and offered it to ADAM ...too bite into the apple ...the decision to bite the apple came from ADAM----------------The blame was deflected from the male and unfairly put on the female- and she was persecuted for the next 10 thousand years....letting the offender ADAM off the hook...it was not fair nor was it based in logic.

Men must take responsibly for their actions- Look at Islam- they still blame the woman for everything- as if having beasts and a vagina are good enough reasons for constant conviction of a crime that never happened.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
With this Virgin Mary business old Catholic thought in some was that every woman is tainted with evil except for their mother..Look at the way an old school Italian would react..if you said something negative about their father- The young Italian would let it slide...Say something about their mother...and they want to kill you- because their mother is a virgin- much like the "virgin" Mary...These types of babyish men look at their brides as virgins- once they are married the wife is trash for having sex and their mother is higher in status...
How "old school" is "old school?" I'm of that ethnicity and more people have criticized my Mom than they have my Dad. Why? My Dad was the "salt of the earth" and my Mom stonewalls, and can't take positions so she doesn't upset people. I acknowledge what my friends have said about my parents, if it's substantiated, without getting mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology