Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:20 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,314,682 times

Advertisements

Honest question, I don't know if women in other countries have the same problem but I have never dated or met a woman in this country who did not suffer from low self esteem, regardless of social status, family upbringing, accomplishments, etc

I have a coworker who is a pretty attractive girl in her early 20's, we went to the Iowa State Fair one night and she told me that she was very self conscious about her face(she has some very small acne scars) and her height (she is about 6'1"). She has no boyfriend and always complains about not being able to find one

I have never had a girlfriend who did not have low self esteem or was happy with herself, what the hell is wrong with our women??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 06:29 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,962,482 times
Just because you strike out getting American women with little to no self esteem (all the time apparently) doesn't mean all American women have no self esteem.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,413,587 times
You should go check out the nearly unreadable, Eurotrash thread. I think it was just started this morning.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:00 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,451,478 times
I'm willing to venture a guess that perhaps you can only get women with low self-esteem. Because I promise there are plenty of women out there that have plenty of confidence and self-esteem - we're just too smart to waste it on guys like you

Old 08-27-2010, 07:03 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,112,725 times
Default Why American women have such low self esteem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Honest question, I don't know if women in other countries have the same problem but I have never dated or met a woman in this country who did not suffer from low self esteem, regardless of social status, family upbringing, accomplishments, etc

I have a coworker who is a pretty attractive girl in her early 20's, we went to the Iowa State Fair one night and she told me that she was very self conscious about her face(she has some very small acne scars) and her height (she is about 6'1"). She has no boyfriend and always complains about not being able to find one

I have never had a girlfriend who did not have low self esteem or was happy with herself, what the hell is wrong with our women??
I think just maybe the women with higher self esteem just are not into dating fellows like you. I know many, many women, and most of them don't have a proble with self esteem. Yes, they are interested in looking their best, but that is just about as far as they take it. They do not feel self conscious, usually.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,383,138 times
Like attracts like. Generally, we feel most comfortable around people we most resemble. If you see low self-esteem all around you, ask yourself why you cultivate these types of relationships.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,213,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

I'll echo others in this thread. It's you, not American women. Of course, you'll never know any different.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,197,805 times
Hi Repub,

one thing that stands out in your post is, you're equating attractiveness with having high self esteem. You're assuming attractive women should have high self esteem(HSE).

I don't think the situation you've provided counts as having Low S.E.. I think many of us are self conscious about some aspect of our physical appearance.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,314,682 times
It is unbelievable how many people here live in DENIAL! I have never met any women in any setting, business, girlfriends, friends who did not have low self esteem, it is EPIDEMIC!

I imagine it would be worse if you were overweight, unnatractive, etc

"Low self-esteem among girls and young women has reached a crisis level," said Dr. Ann Kearney-Cooke, Ph.D., a psychologist and self-esteem expert who collaborated on Real Girls, Real Pressure. "The new report from Dove confirms the importance of healthy self-esteem and the dangerous consequences that can arise when hang-ups about looks, academics and popularity erode a girl's sense of self-worth and self-acceptance""

Old 08-27-2010, 08:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,751,596 times
Oh nonsense. Young women and young girls have always been self conscious, but most women over the age of 25 are pretty confident in their abilities.

Maybe you just attract women with no self esteem. Or maybe you're just looking for more arguments online to satisfy your lack of social ineptness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology