Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:40 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,235,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And many people are single because of their standards, and complain about how they can't find anyone "worthy" of them.

Get off your high horse, and you might get lucky.
Get lucky with what? I'm happily married to an awesome guy. Frankly, all of the men I have dated in my life are awesome people. There's no short supply of great men out there.

Quote:
In other words, stop being such a snob, and you might find someone who makes you happy...instead of bitter. Toxic personalities aren't good for you, and no one else wants to be around them either.
Stop projecting, Tkramar. This goes along with the food conversation we're having in the other thread. There is no reason to eat crap when a person can consume nutritious food. The same goes with dating. Some have standards and some don't. It's not for you to determine what another person's standards should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 12:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,732,457 times
Make up your mind.

Either I don't have standards (you're right, I don't) or I'm a stuck-up snob.

I can't be both. I'm the most accepting person you'd ever meet. I don't require anything out of my partner other than her gender be female and she have an interest in me...and show it.

Just because you think something is "crap" does NOT make it so. Especially when applied to PEOPLE.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:00 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,613,716 times
Really, aren't you in your 30s? What age are these women?

What you're calling low self esteem could be the wrong choice of a word,
"immature" may be accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Honest question, I don't know if women in other countries have the same problem but I have never dated or met a woman in this country who did not suffer from low self esteem, regardless of social status, family upbringing, accomplishments, etc

I have a coworker who is a pretty attractive girl in her early 20's, we went to the Iowa State Fair one night and she told me that she was very self conscious about her face(she has some very small acne scars) and her height (she is about 6'1"). She has no boyfriend and always complains about not being able to find one

I have never had a girlfriend who did not have low self esteem or was happy with herself, what the hell is wrong with our women??

Old 08-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Make up your mind.

Either I don't have standards (you're right, I don't) or I'm a stuck-up snob.

I can't be both. I'm the most accepting person you'd ever meet. I don't require anything out of my partner other than her gender be female and she have an interest in me...and show it.
I have no idea what you're talking about. You are bitter, unhappy, most definitely toxic, and you're taking those qualities that characterize you and projecting them. Sure, I don't think you have standards and no, I don't think you're a snob.

Quote:
Just because you think something is "crap" does NOT make it so. Especially when applied to PEOPLE.
Hey, one man's garbage is another man's treasure. I get that. And I'm not going as far to say that individuals are crap, rather some can have crappy characteristics and what they bring to the table is crap, according to whatever standards I may have. For example, bigots, thieves, misogynists, et al, bring so much crap to the table that I would personally pass. Others may love it.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:27 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,395,544 times
What is a crappy characteristic? Most people are bigoted.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
What is a crappy characteristic? Most people are bigoted.
Perhaps, tho, outside misogynists, most bigots I can think of are not obsessed with having their heart's hatred in their beds. That approaches psycho in my book.

Other crappy characteristics- stealing, cheating, animal abuse, whatever.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Then saying that you are a snob--is NOT projection, unless you think I am one.

And I'm not. I'm easily satisfied and content to live a pretty relaxed life. I don't need your approbation, for example, to be content.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Then saying that you are a snob--is NOT projection, unless you think I am one.
Everything but the snob, kay.

Quote:
And I'm not. I'm easily satisfied and content to live a pretty relaxed life. I don't need your approbation, for example, to be content.
That is the point here, Tkramar. It has taken a while for you to get it. You live your life as you see fit. It doesn't mean your approach or lack of standards is desired by anybody else.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:40 PM

Anyway, when I said that, I was speaking in general...so what made anyone think that it was directed specifically at them--unless the shoe fit?

If something is said in general, I wouldn't think it meant me--because I'm not a member of the herd.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:43 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,649,525 times
I sure don't see why anyone would start a thread like this. The basic statement of the OP that American women are all afflicted with low self esteem is ridiculous and the result of making such a statement is to invite ridicule which is exactly what has happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology