Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 01:22 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times

Advertisements

Vikes are in win now mode, Rosenfels is the heir apparent, not TJ. An RB like AP will not have a long football life so they have a two to three year window in which to get a ring. Pat Williams is 37 and some of the DB are older as well. All we needed with AP is a QB that could see ablitz and throw against it. TJ couldnt figure it out. I'm happy with Farve but I think we would be 6-2 with Sage.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

Who? Long after Bobby Wade is forgotten, Percy Harvin will be making plays. That's an upgrade, and anyone who doesn't see that hasn't a clue about the game. Harvin's field vision allows him to make the best use of his physical skills, and makes decisions like a veteran rather than a rookie. He is a special player, and it's obvious there are even Viking fans who don't realize it yet.

That's nice. So what's the Vikings' plans after he's done, or is this a one-year "win now" mission?
Of course Harvin is an upgrade. That was one of the two changes (out of four) from last year's offense that is an upgrade. The other being QB, I would venture that the new QB is making more of a difference than the new WR.

Don't know about next year and would guess there may be no encore from Favre but it doesn't really matter right now. Thing is, if he decides that he wants to waltz into camp the last week or two, it wouldn't bother me in the least, he's earned the right to do so. Probably wouldn't bother any of the players either after seeing what Favre has done this year.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I am no Viking fan but have to say farve is amazing at his age like young;bradshw and Akemjnan have said;they could have done it.The guy is amazing .

Old 11-03-2009, 02:44 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
The other being QB, I would venture that the new QB is making more of a difference than the new WR.
It also helps that the new WR also turns out to be a hell of a kick returner, doesn't it? I'd venture that the new QB's TD production is further aided by starting a lot of drives at midfield if not closer to the goal line thanks to the new WR who happens to be a hell of a kick returner.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:54 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,563 times
I'm not a Favre fan but this thread is comical. When he sucks you guys throw all the blame on him. Its not his o-line, its not the RB missing a blitz, its not the WR's missing a catch that bounces off his hands etc. But man when he does well you think of 700 reasons why its not Favre. AP has been decent this year not great. And last I checked Sidney Rice was a below average WR before Brett Favre. Give the man his due, he has made that team much better.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I'm not a Favre fan but this thread is comical. When he sucks you guys throw all the blame on him. Its not his o-line, its not the RB missing a blitz, its not the WR's missing a catch that bounces off his hands etc. But man when he does well you think of 700 reasons why its not Favre. AP has been decent this year not great. And last I checked Sidney Rice was a below average WR before Brett Favre. Give the man his due, he has made that team much better.
I agree. I really admire Farve and was concerned he would tarnish is HOF image by coming back once again to play for the Vikes. But the man knew that he still had it inside him.

It was the Green Bay executives that first lost faith in Brett, which caused the rest of us to follow suit.

It's great to see a player like Brett really having FUN at his job. You know it's not about the money for him.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,563 times
USNRET - I agree and disagree with your assesment to some extent or another.

The Packers organization did not lose faith in Brett. Ted Thompson (GM) of the Packers and Mike McArthy (head coach) both tried to talk Brett out of making his retrement announcement. THey told him to think about it more etc. Brett told them he was done. At that point as a GM and HC you have to look out for the other 52 members of your team and your organization. They made a decision based on HIM. They moved on because he said he was finished. When he flip flops and then decides he wants back in they have already commited to Aaron Rodgers and its too late. Brett has NO ONE to blame but himself about how things went down in Green Bay. His problem was that Ted Thompson didnt get him what he thought they needed IE:Randy Moss and a few other free agents. Brett has to understand that he is a player and not a personnel member.

As far as his ability, I never doubted he could still play at a high level as he is proving. My big question is can he do it all year long? That remains to be seen.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:51 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Quote:
USNRET - I agree and disagree with your assesment to some extent or another.

The Packers organization did not lose faith in Brett. Ted Thompson (GM) of the Packers and Mike McArthy (head coach) both tried to talk Brett out of making his retrement announcement. THey told him to think about it more etc. Brett told them he was done. At that point as a GM and HC you have to look out for the other 52 members of your team and your organization. They made a decision based on HIM. They moved on because he said he was finished. When he flip flops and then decides he wants back in they have already commited to Aaron Rodgers and its too late. Brett has NO ONE to blame but himself about how things went down in Green Bay. His problem was that Ted Thompson didnt get him what he thought they needed IE:Randy Moss and a few other free agents. Brett has to understand that he is a player and not a personnel member.

As far as his ability, I never doubted he could still play at a high level as he is proving. My big question is can he do it all year long? That remains to be seen.
I stand corrected, thanks Speed.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Nobody's saying he's not playing well, but it's easier to play well on a good team. People have this idea that Brett would be gearing the Packers up for another Super Bowl run if he was still in Green Bay. Well, every time you see Aaron Rodgers get hit, think if it was Favre's 40-year-old body taking those hits, and then consider if he'd still be doing well. Instead, he's in Minnesota with a team that's actually capable of winning a championship, and that offensive line is giving him all day to find an open receiver. Yes, that helps guys like Sidney Rice. So does having a back like Adrian Peterson. In Green Bay he'd have Ryan Grant scaring absolutely nobody of note. Grant can't make much of an impact in any game against a team that isn't an embarrassment to the league (e.g. St. Louis or Cleveland).

Favre does give the Vikings a proper passing game, which lightens the load on Peterson. But Peterson is still on pace for 1,500+ yards rushing, 18 TDs and roughly double his career high in receptions. Those should be great numbers in any man's English, and defenses can't go bring the house every play to try and pressure Favre or they risk getting burned for a big gain on the ground. This helps open some lanes for receivers, your Rice, your Harvin, your Shiancoe. It's a team game, no matter how much we like to focus on individuals. He's doing what he's doing because he's on a great team that helps him so he can help them. This would not be happening in Green Bay, where he'd be forcing balls into coverage trying to make something happen. That's pretty much what he was doing for most of his last five or so years there, because his team sucked.

What if - theoretical question here - Aaron Rodgers was the starting quarterback for the Vikings? I'd think his numbers would look not unlike Favre's, and I'd wager the Vikes would be something like 7-1. Just to say that while Favre filled a void for that team, he's not the only guy who could do it. However he's the only guy who could make ESPN cream its collective pants while beating the Pack, which the Vikings would likely be doing this year even if Brett had decided to call it a career.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
This was a Vikings team that finished 10-6 last year with some of the worst QB's in the league (Gus finished rated #28 or so).

They added some good players over the summer AND have started the season off against one of the weakest schedules in the NFL.
(Their wins to date are against teams that are a combined 18-33.)

So, yes...Favre is an improvement but there are 15 or so QB's in the league that would have also been a major upgrade for the Vikings and would be sitting at 7-1. THIS ISN'T A KNOCK on Favre, the guy is pushing 40 and it's amazing he's still even decent...I'm just pointing out that he is not the NFL MVP like some people think and he hasn't played at that level in 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football