Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 04:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,595,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
He moved the team well as the Steelers had basically taken Petersen out of it.
That's because AP is the focal point of this offense, not Favre. You take him out of the game and you're on the way to beating the Vikings.

This is what the contingent of Packer "fans" who think the team would be better with Favre don't understand - there's a lot making the Vikings win other than No. 4. The Pack doesn't have AP or Percy Harvin, or a good offensive line like Minnesota, or as good a defense. Really, any half decent quarterback could win with this team. Well, not when they're turning the ball over anyway.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:33 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,584,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
He is playing well, and with that huge O-line and a running game like they have, I guess he should. He WILL make that crucial mistake in a big game and cost the Vikes, that is who he really is .
C'mon, Patsfan, where have you been? It's been two more games. Favre destroyed the Packers today. The season is only half way over. Man up and admit you are wrong thus far. With that said, you could still be right in the long run. Favre has plenty of opportunities to **** up in the future.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
C'mon, Patsfan, where have you been? It's been two more games. Favre destroyed the Packers today. The season is only half way over. Man up and admit you are wrong thus far. With that said, you could still be right in the long run. Favre has plenty of opportunities to **** up in the future.
I don't know about Favre destroying the Packers. Good game, yes, but he wasn't the difference-maker.

Favre: 17/28, 244 yards, 4 TD
Rodgers: 26/41, 287 yards, 3 TD

And Rodgers had to double as the Pack's running game, because of another Ryan Grant no-show. I'm sick of Ryan Grant, he was a flash in the pan a la Samkon Gado and shouldn't have been given that contract. And this time the O-line actually played a decent game. While most Pack fans are ready to draw and quarter Ted Thompson for letting Favre go, I look more at decisions like giving guys like Ryan Grant a lot of money to produce nothing.

Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin made a bigger difference than Favre, especially Harvin with the kick returns and that big run after the catch for a TD.

The reason why Favre isn't racking up the INTs is because, unlike the Pack or some other mediocre team, he doesn't have to carry the Vikings. The offensive line, running game and dynamic playmakers like Harvin do that. Brett's a caretaker. If he can't make the throw easily, he doesn't try it. He sticks to what the defense gives him, and if they're not giving him anything, he just hands off to AP to get the defense to give him something.

When Favre's trying to carry a team, he tends to force the action. If you notice how Rodgers takes sacks when he can't find an open receiver, what Brett would do is throw it into double or triple coverage for a likely pick. The difference is Favre has done that his whole career - his last pass as a Packer was a shining example - while for Rodgers this is a habit that might be corrected.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 AM

306 posts, read 320,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
So glad he's coming back! It will be my pleasure to count, and keep an accurate tally of all the INT(s) Brett will throw this year. I'm going out on a limb and say.........25 INT(s) / 19 TD(s). If he plays a full season that is. I know they have weak schedule this year, but he can chuck it around with the best of them. Actually, he is the best at chucking it around......my bad. Let me know what you all think the "tally" will be. This will be fun!
Brett Favre is possibly the most hated player in NFL history. However, your pats are the most hated team right now.

You count Favres interceptions. I will still look at the final score of Super Bowl XLII

Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,120,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I don't know about Favre destroying the Packers. Good game, yes, but he wasn't the difference-maker.

Favre: 17/28, 244 yards, 4 TD
Rodgers: 26/41, 287 yards, 3 TD
You forgot some stats...

Favre: 0 interceptions (again)

Favre: 0 sacks (again)

Favre: Winner (again)

Favre: 7 - 1 (1st place by 2 games)

Thanks Pack for giving us the 2009 NFL MVP who is also responsible for dashing your division title hopes. Just who did you get for that Jet's draft choice anyways?

Last edited by Ghengis; 11-02-2009 at 06:15 AM..

Old 11-02-2009, 09:33 AM

78,616 posts, read 60,797,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
You forgot some stats...

Favre: 0 interceptions (again)

Favre: 0 sacks (again)

Favre: Winner (again)

Favre: 7 - 1 (1st place by 2 games)

Thanks Pack for giving us the 2009 NFL MVP who is also responsible for dashing your division title hopes. Just who did you get for that Jet's draft choice anyways?
Hey, I don't care about either team lol but 2009 NFL MVP? Now that is seriously funny.
Favre is decent, he's not the player he once was but he is a big improvement for the Vikings.

Really, any decent QB is 7-1 with that team (and their schedule) right now. Green Bay is mediocre and they are as tough as anyone the Vikings have beaten so far this year. They will be 8-1 in two weeks with more padded stats courtesy of the Lions.

Really, it's all moot as the Vikings will finish 13-3 or better. We ALL know it will come down to them having to beat NO to get in the SuperBowl....where it won't matter how badly they beat up on mediocre to bad teams.

Injuries are the big wildcard down the stretch, the Vikes could win the Superbowl this year if they stay healthy.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:58 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,618,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback (before the season started) View Post
Don't forget about Percy Harvin.

With AD and Percy Harvin in the backfield!! All I gotta say is watch the eff out!!

They are going to be so much fun to watch.

Another reason why Favre stats are going to be decent, he won't need to carry the offense.
Quote:

Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin made a bigger difference than Favre, especially Harvin with the kick returns and that big run after the catch for a TD.

The reason why Favre isn't racking up the INTs is because, unlike the Pack or some other mediocre team, he doesn't have to carry the Vikings. The offensive line, running game and dynamic playmakers like Harvin do that. Brett's a caretaker. If he can't make the throw easily, he doesn't try it. He sticks to what the defense gives him, and if they're not giving him anything, he just hands off to AP to get the defense to give him something.

When Favre's trying to carry a team, he tends to force the action. If you notice how Rodgers takes sacks when he can't find an open receiver, what Brett would do is throw it into double or triple coverage for a likely pick. The difference is Favre has done that his whole career - his last pass as a Packer was a shining example - while for Rodgers this is a habit that might be corrected.
Yep, thats why some of was were saying that he wouldn't have many interceptions.

Not really directed @ you Jfre but LMAO at "fans" just now realizing who AD and PH are and what effect they have on the Offense.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 11-02-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM

I knew Harvin had a future as a real playmaker but I don't think anyone expected he'd make as big an impact as he has, this quickly. What I couldn't understand is, after pulling within a touchdown, Mason Crosby still kicking to him. I'd sooner see an onside kick. At least there's a chance of getting the football back and the resulting field position if not would be comparable to where Harvin's going to run it.

Here's the thing - Favre is an improvement at QB from what the Vikings had last year, but the O-line is better, the defense is better, they have Harvin making plays on offense and special teams, AP has become more of a receiving threat and the Vikings are better all around. All those stats Ghengis mentioned have more to do with the team rather than the quarterback.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,120,131 times
Quote:
I knew Harvin had a future as a real playmaker but I don't think anyone expected he'd make as big an impact as he has, this quickly. What I couldn't understand is, after pulling within a touchdown, Mason Crosby still kicking to him. I'd sooner see an onside kick. At least there's a chance of getting the football back and the resulting field position if not would be comparable to where Harvin's going to run it.

Here's the thing - Favre is an improvement at QB from what the Vikings had last year, but the O-line is better, the defense is better, they have Harvin making plays on offense and special teams, AP has become more of a receiving threat and the Vikings are better all around. All those stats Ghengis mentioned have more to do with the team rather than the quarterback.
The offense that the Vikings went with last year has not undergone an extensive change to this year, and half of the changes would be viewed as a drop-off from 2008.

They lost an all-pro Center
They are now starting a rookie RT
They replaced Bobby Wade w/Percy Harvin
They no longer start Gus Frerotte/Tarvaris Jackson at QB

Nobody outside of demented Favre-haters, could view the Vikings current offensive dominance as anything other that the difference Brett Favre brings to the team.

Favre laid it out in a team meeting before the season and after the whole "schism" bs was reported. He addressed the team and explained his motivation for returning with the Vikings. Must have struck a chord with his team-mates because there was never again any mention of "schism" and the results on the field speak for themselves.

What is becoming more and more apparent with each subsequent start, is the dedication and affection that the players are voicing in support of Favre. It is obvious that they are rallying around him and he is in turn providing a great deal of motivation to the team's success to this point.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
They lost an all-pro Center
They are now starting a rookie RT
You wouldn't know it the way the line's playing. Brett didn't look so good the few times the Pack actually managed to get a little pressure on him yesterday. Anyone can look good without pass rushers breathing down your neck. Even Gus Frerotte.

Quote:
They replaced Bobby Wade w/Percy Harvin
Who? Long after Bobby Wade is forgotten, Percy Harvin will be making plays. That's an upgrade, and anyone who doesn't see that hasn't a clue about the game. Harvin's field vision allows him to make the best use of his physical skills, and makes decisions like a veteran rather than a rookie. He is a special player, and it's obvious there are even Viking fans who don't realize it yet.

Quote:
They no longer start Gus Frerotte/Tarvaris Jackson at QB
OK, I'll grant you that. Still, what Favre is doing isn't magic. You can rack up a lot of numbers with checkdown stuff and short slants to guys like Harvin who can make plays after the catch, or longer out routes when the defense is being kept wary of the run or the screen with AP.

Quote:
Nobody outside of demented Favre-haters, could view the Vikings current offensive dominance as anything other that the difference Brett Favre brings to the team.
What about people who have seen a great football team before? Oh, sorry, you're a Viking fan. This has to be new to you.

Quote:
Favre laid it out in a team meeting before the season and after the whole "schism" bs was reported. He addressed the team and explained his motivation for returning with the Vikings. Must have struck a chord with his team-mates because there was never again any mention of "schism" and the results on the field speak for themselves.
It's easy to get behind winning, no matter who's the QB. Having this guy show up right before the season started didn't set well, but I'm sure at 7-1 things are a lot more acceptable. That's not a great stretch of logic.

Quote:
What is becoming more and more apparent with each subsequent start, is the dedication and affection that the players are voicing in support of Favre. It is obvious that they are rallying around him and he is in turn providing a great deal of motivation to the team's success to this point.
That's nice. So what's the Vikings' plans after he's done, or is this a one-year "win now" mission?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football