Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,170,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
So PBergen, in Giants lure, where will this victory rank? There's a lot to pick from, but this one is significant, in that I sincerely did not think they had a shot. When they were here 4 years ago, I thought they had an outside shot. Not so much today.
Only below the New England ...and Denver Super Bowl wins...for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,083,413 times
Great, Great game for the New York Giants, way to go Big Blue, you have to beat the best to be the best, well it's done! ! ! !

Yippee ki yay! ! ! !

Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 PM

14,329 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Packers have to blame themselves big time, they did not play like they wanted it at all. Worst game they have played in who knows how long! I still don't believe they played that badly.

Giants outplayed them, Eli was very, very good! I hope Giants do well, they deserve it, hope they are able to go all the way!

Good luck next week!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
Good job, Giants, even though I hatecha!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:00 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,811,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
this game is way up there, but in terms of biggest and most unexpected upsets, i'd still rank it behind the 1990 nfc championship game against the niners, the 1990 (jan 1991) super bowl against the bills, and the 2007 (feb 2008) super bowl against the patriots. i remember being so incredibly pessimistic in the days leading up to those three games, especially the super bowl against the bills (even more so than the super bowl against the pats - people sometimes forget how unstoppable the bills looked all season in 1990). i know i'm in the minority on that last point, though. my reasoning being that i didn't have much confidence in the giants' offense being able to outscore the bills, even with a superb defensive effort. remember, simms got knocked out earlier that season (ironically, against the bills) and then they weren't able to score a touchdown in the nfc championship game against the niners (they kicked 5 field goals and won 15-13).

then again, i've felt all week that the giants had a decent (maybe ~20-25%) chance of winning this game. i just felt that with the way they played the packers tough earlier this season, combined with many of their key players getting healthy at the right time, that they'd be able to put more pressure on rodgers AND pass protect against the packers' rush.

EDIT: wow, yet another packers' turnover! unbelievable.

to be fair, the packers shot themselves in the foot all game. they were just totally out of sync for most of the game and made uncharacteristic blunders. FOUR turnovers plus two fumbles that didn't get overturned by replay (one was the correct call, and the other was botched by the refs).

the giants definitely earned this victory, but the packers have themselves to blame, too.
Where as, in total contrast in the 1990 SB XXV, the Bills did not play a bad game, per se. The Giants coaching staff just called a perfect game, led by defensive coordinator Bill Belichick.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:13 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,043,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Where as, in total contrast in the 1990 SB XXV, the Bills did not play a bad game, per se. The Giants coaching staff just called a perfect game, led by defensive coordinator Bill Belichick.
so true. i don't think any of us could've envisioned the giants having such a lopsided edge in time of possession. i mean, we all figured that the giants defense would have to step up, big time (and they did), but the game plan to play "keep away" via a ball control offense - moving the chains methodically with power running and timely passes - worked to perfection.

and yet the giants still barely won!

what if mark ingram doesn't convert the first down on that 3rd-and-15? that was one of the most incredible "run-after-the-catch" individual efforts i've ever seen.

what if o.j. anderson couldn't move the chains? the guy was over the hill and seemingly had lead in his shoes; he was the total embodiment of a "grinder". leading up to the game, i really didn't know if o.j. could run effectively - and i certainly wouldn't have guessed that the giants could've controlled the ball like they did with such a plodding (yet bruising) runner.

and how about when on the final play from scrimmage before scott norwood's ill-fated field goal attempt, thurman thomas rushed all the way down to the 30 yard line to set up the field goal? i actually thought for a second that thomas was going to bust it and go all way to the house. every time he touched the ball in that game, my heart skipped a beat. he was just that scary.

in the end, i remember feeling that the giants really "stole" a title that season. i didn't think they'd beat the niners (but knew they'd play them tough), and i felt there was virtually no chance they'd be able to contain the bills.

for whatever reason, people seem to remember thomas's poor showing in the subsequent three super bowl losses but not that he had a tremendous game in the super bowl vs. the giants. in fact, if the bills had won, he would've been the game's mvp.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Great win by the next Super Bowl champions! Cowboy fan here who was glad to see y'all spank that Green and Gold everywhichway but Sunday! Demolish those 49ers and bring home the trophy that should always be in the NFC East!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:32 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Great game by the Giants today. Very impressive.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,128,476 times
As a Pack fan, I congratulate Giant fans-----no excuses here-----the Giants outplayed the Pack in every phase of the game, and were clearly the better team.

I have said repeatedly that I have a lot of respect for Tom Coughlan----the man is one tough guy, and should never be counted out.

Yes the Pack played poorly today----but it was the Giants domination that made them play poorly. Good luck to the Giants next Sunday in S.F.-----that game next Sunday is going to a tough physical game-----it will be fun to watch.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,659,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Packers have to blame themselves big time, they did not play like they wanted it at all. Worst game they have played in who knows how long! I still don't believe they played that badly.

Giants outplayed them, Eli was very, very good! I hope Giants do well, they deserve it, hope they are able to go all the way!

Good luck next week!
Well, I guess you were right. A looooong time ago, you said the Giants were the team you were worried about. You have them more of a chance than I did. You callled it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football